Shot shell handloading component supplier?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Shot shell handloading component supplier?

Postby woodskiff » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:54 am

Would anyone recommend a supplier for powder, primers, wads, shot, etc? I've been hand loading for handguns and rifles for many years and am about to start loading shot shells. I have an MEC SM82 Sizemaster that I bought new several decades ago, but never used. Time to clean off the cobwebs!
woodskiff
Pup
Pup

Re: Shot shell handloading component supplier?

Postby orhunter » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:40 am

Powder and primers should be readily available most anywhere locally and you don't want to be paying HAZMAT fees for having it shipped. Shot might be a problem depending on your local suppliers, can't help you there. Just make sure it is high quality "hard" high Antimony stuff. Wads depend on your actual load and local availability and on-line sources might be the best. Having a large supply of cases that are all the same is important and shipping them is fine. You can even find once fired on-line which is what I would use. Don't forget your local gun clubs as sources for bulk buying.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm

For 12 or 20 I prefer Remington STS or Nitro hulls. (One piece). For range pickup Remington gun club. (Also one piece but steel base and thinner plastic but loads like STS). For 28 and 410 Winchester HS hulls. Powder and primers I buy local. Wads and shot I participate in bulk buys at the Private gun club where I shoot.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Agree with Willie on hull choice. Peters blue works too. For 12 ga. wads and 1 1/8 oz. super high velocity, Windjammer seemed better than AA. I think AA are okay for low velocity loads.

One thing to do first is set up your loader. Check how consistent your powder charges are and if the charge actually matches the bushing data. Slight adjustments can be made with a piece of masking tape inside the bushing to reduce the charge. For the shot charge, the bar is machined for pure lead. Good shot is not pure lead and is lighter for a given volume so shot charges will not be what the bar says. You'll need to grind out the bar till you get the correct weight. Luckily I was able to get a small drum grinder that was the correct diameter for 1 1/8 oz at the local hardware emporium. Mounted in the drill press and bar clamped tight made hole enlargement easy as pie. Lube grinder with soapy water in a squirt bottle. Go slow and weigh the results frequently till it's right. Always grind from the bottom of the bar, NOT THE TOP.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I've had good experience with Ballistic Products here in MN. Although they are local so I can avoid the shipping charges.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Ballistic Products. com you can get everything you need from them ,load data for different hulls too. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms