New Website: Cross Timber Gundogs - Pudelpointer

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: New Website: Cross Timber Gundogs - Pudelpointer

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 pm

I'd check with Jeff. I think he bought a GoPro. If you can take still pictures or edit video for a still picture I think that would be the way to go.

JTracyII wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for a decent point and shoot camera that has any real value over a quality cell phone camera? Cell phones have come a long ways, so I don't really know if investing money in a point and shoot and having to carry it along during the hunt in addition to my cell phone is worth it.

t
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jfwhit » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:31 am

Very nice website. It is obvious a lot of thought and time went into this.
jfwhit
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am

Down the road you may have a section of photos for your pups owners pictures of hunting awards. Probably a lot of work but I find it pretty cool to recognize your owners testing/hunting accomplishments.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind Dmog.

Thanks Terry. I will talk to Jeff about that.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 am

Website looks great! Still need to come join Taz and I on a waterfowl hunt in the future.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:44 am

jarbo03 wrote:Website looks great! Still need to come join Taz and I on a waterfowl hunt in the future.

Thanks Bud. I may have to take you up on it at some point. Looks like you all get into them! I've been impressed with some of the videos of Taz you have posted and am glad to hear his genetics are living on. Keep us posted on his progeny's progress.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Jack, on your camera question, I take a lot of photos, am no expert but am glad to share what I have learned/experienced. I think you are probably familiar with the quality of photos I get, which is nothing as good as what Bruce posts here for example. Camera quality and editing are two primary reasons why.

To get good action shots requires a zoom of at least 150MM. I have gone through 3 Nikon Cool Pix cameras over the last 10 years carrying them year round. They are small enough to be on my person when I need them. Fits in the velcro closure pocket on the front of chest waders so I can keep it dry and available when hunting waterfowl, fits in the long shell pocket on my Wing Works vest for Upland, fanny pack when elk hunting, coat pocket deer hunting, training vest while dog training ... The lens folds up so the camera is quite small when not in use and there is no need for a lens cover which makes it fast to action once it wakes up. The downsides are that strength of zoom often leaves me wanting more, the autofocus does not allow you to focus on the dog vs the cover between you and the dog and the exposure in low light is often poor. The video quality is ok, hard to hold a small camera stable but you get better with practice. No through the lens viewing and bright sun glare on the external screen can make things very difficult at times.

I have taken alot of what I would call decent photos with such a camera. Seldom stunning in crisp definition however. Also it does not do rapid fire photos which then misses some great photo ops as a dog is running. I am using an A900 now and it is quite a bit larger than the prior models and the max size I find practical while hunting.

My Nikon point and shoots have all outperformed my Iphone by a wide margin for action photography at distances commonly encountered while hunting.

Recently Nikon had several models and packages heavily discounted and I bought a D3500 DSLR with two zoom lens. The bigger one is 70-300 and between it and the rapid fire action photo shutter setting it has much greater action photo capability. Not sure how much time it is going to see in the field however as it's size is unwieldy compared to the point and shoot cameras I have been using. Still learning how to use it, maybe I will find myself adapting to it. No question it is a superior tool capable of superior photos compared to the point and shoot cameras I have been using.

No free lunch is what I find. To take great action photos takes a better quality camera than is easy to pack in the field. People do it, but I am not sure how many birds they shoot on the same hunt. Works better when just running your dog, or while letting someone else handle the shooting and you are just dog handling and using the camera. Some of my best photos come on those hunts and or on the golden days of early limits while carrying my unloaded shotgun on a sling. Which is another tip, having a sling on your shotgun is very beneficial to in the field photography in my experience. Hope I have helped.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

You really don't need a high end camera to take good pictures. Of course it helps. Ideas for interesting images: I like to have the lens wide open sometimes so it throws stuff in background out of focus (see dog portraits below). It can be good to get down on the level with the dog to break from the monotony (see action shot). Zooming in can be good but long shots are really nice as well (the vegetation in the foreground of the shot of Canada geese is cool to me). Sometimes accidents make good images (pintails in sun). Some images tell other things (my new gun for instance, or that the dogs have bells on, or that there's a pile of ducks in there but you can only see a couple). Also, often cropping the images for concentrating the viewer's eye is helpful. And using a motor drive gives you choices of best action shot. Observe where the light is coming from to help enhance the image (look for catchlights in eyes). You can sometimes throw the bird out for another retrieve and get set up for a second or third opportunity . Also, I always have my iPhone on me because it can really take extraordinary images, plus it has some of the image manipulating stuff mentioned above. Did I say to take lots of pictures?

The images below are the best shots of a duck hunt I went on last Sunday. I took over 120 shots but not many were all that great (I didn't even work up any except to do this little presentation this afternoon). I didn't get any good ones of the pup retrieving because a wing was over his eyes, or bad light or... I also passed up a bunch opportunities because I was training the pup; but, I was by myself so I didn't have any distractions. By having an image processing application in my computer I was able to crop, change levels of shadows and highlights, enhance catch lights, sharpen or blur edges, etc. It would be hard for me to have any good shots at all without such a program!

If I were trying to populate a website about dogs I would make sure I had multiple good images of the various dogs so the prospective buyer could dream about how their pup will look. That's the single biggest weakness of the typical breeder website I see - lack of images of my prospective dog's sire and dam. I experienced that with the pup I got last year and had to take the word of the breeder that the sire or dam was good looking, etc. I wanted to see their coat, confirmation, side view, etc. (I don't think that's just me).

I think Jack's website is first rate. I loved the layout and the way it flowed, and the images of his family. It all makes for the kind of breeder I would be comfortable with.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Bruce: Thanks for the photos. Noticed the new gun right away. Wood looks exceptional. Was that a special order? I've got one of those on order in 28 gauge. We'll see how good the wood is if it ever comes in. Don't want no crappy lookin' wood.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm

it's a browning citori "featherweight" lightening. The regular lightening model is sort of heavy at 8.2 lbs but I happened to see that they made a "featherweight" at 7.0. Not sure what they did to lighten it up but so far I like it. I found it browsing the internet after checking with Sportsman's Warehouse, etc., who said they knew of all the ones in the country (not so). A dealer in North Dakota had it listed.

I shot a Browning lightening 20 ga. for many years but went to a side-side after steel shot came in as I was worried about injuring the barrels, etc. I'm VERY glad to be shooting an over/under once again! Post some images of your 28ga.!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 pm

JTracyII wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Website looks great! Still need to come join Taz and I on a waterfowl hunt in the future.

Thanks Bud. I may have to take you up on it at some point. Looks like you all get into them! I've been impressed with some of the videos of Taz you have posted and am glad to hear his genetics are living on. Keep us posted on his progeny's progress.

Never hunted with a PP, would like to see some work. You never know, maybe we could get Kenton to join. I know my buddy Dave would like to see them dogs also.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby K Locke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am

Bruce,

I absolutely love the picture of the dog fetching the duck. That is a great picture. Can you post a link to the camera you use? I'm of the opinion the pictures are what makes or breaks a website. I have a hard time putting the gun down and picking up the camera. It would be easier if my friends could shoot better.
K Locke
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:23 pm

K Locke wrote:Bruce,

I absolutely love the picture of the dog fetching the duck. That is a great picture. Can you post a link to the camera you use? I'm of the opinion the pictures are what makes or breaks a website. I have a hard time putting the gun down and picking up the camera. It would be easier if my friends could shoot better.

Ha ha. I agree. Hard to put the gun down and work the dog also. I'm not up on the best cameras these days. Mine is a Nikon D 500 which I'm not sure they make any more. I'd consider the new mirrorless models (Nikon) because they're light weight. A good one off B&H site is a Z 50:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... omerReview

or a non-mirrorless:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... omerReview

Best is to do a live chat with B&H as they are knowledgable, have good prices, and good service. Tell them what your needs are and they should steer you in the right direction.

I like that action shot of the retrieve as well. It was one of maybe 6-8 shots of that retrieve using the motor drive but this one had her jumping, foot up in the air, wind whipping waves, and the spray off her ears. - thanks!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am

AverageGuy wrote:Jack, on your camera question, I take a lot of photos, am no expert but am glad to share what I have learned/experienced. I think you are probably familiar with the quality of photos I get, which is nothing as good as what Bruce posts here for example. Camera quality and editing are two primary reasons why.

To get good action shots requires a zoom of at least 150MM. I have gone through 3 Nikon Cool Pix cameras over the last 10 years carrying them year round. They are small enough to be on my person when I need them. Fits in the velcro closure pocket on the front of chest waders so I can keep it dry and available when hunting waterfowl, fits in the long shell pocket on my Wing Works vest for Upland, fanny pack when elk hunting, coat pocket deer hunting, training vest while dog training ... The lens folds up so the camera is quite small when not in use and there is no need for a lens cover which makes it fast to action once it wakes up. The downsides are that strength of zoom often leaves me wanting more, the autofocus does not allow you to focus on the dog vs the cover between you and the dog and the exposure in low light is often poor. The video quality is ok, hard to hold a small camera stable but you get better with practice. No through the lens viewing and bright sun glare on the external screen can make things very difficult at times.

I have taken alot of what I would call decent photos with such a camera. Seldom stunning in crisp definition however. Also it does not do rapid fire photos which then misses some great photo ops as a dog is running. I am using an A900 now and it is quite a bit larger than the prior models and the max size I find practical while hunting.

My Nikon point and shoots have all outperformed my Iphone by a wide margin for action photography at distances commonly encountered while hunting.

Recently Nikon had several models and packages heavily discounted and I bought a D3500 DSLR with two zoom lens. The bigger one is 70-300 and between it and the rapid fire action photo shutter setting it has much greater action photo capability. Not sure how much time it is going to see in the field however as it's size is unwieldy compared to the point and shoot cameras I have been using. Still learning how to use it, maybe I will find myself adapting to it. No question it is a superior tool capable of superior photos compared to the point and shoot cameras I have been using.

No free lunch is what I find. To take great action photos takes a better quality camera than is easy to pack in the field. People do it, but I am not sure how many birds they shoot on the same hunt. Works better when just running your dog, or while letting someone else handle the shooting and you are just dog handling and using the camera. Some of my best photos come on those hunts and or on the golden days of early limits while carrying my unloaded shotgun on a sling. Which is another tip, having a sling on your shotgun is very beneficial to in the field photography in my experience. Hope I have helped.

AG,

Thanks for the feedback on website as well as the advice on cameras and good photography. I may look into those Coolpix cameras or go a step up like you have recently. Do you feel the recent camera you bought is worth the extra cash flow?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:You really don't need a high end camera to take good pictures. Of course it helps. Ideas for interesting images: I like to have the lens wide open sometimes so it throws stuff in background out of focus (see dog portraits below). It can be good to get down on the level with the dog to break from the monotony (see action shot). Zooming in can be good but long shots are really nice as well (the vegetation in the foreground of the shot of Canada geese is cool to me). Sometimes accidents make good images (pintails in sun). Some images tell other things (my new gun for instance, or that the dogs have bells on, or that there's a pile of ducks in there but you can only see a couple). Also, often cropping the images for concentrating the viewer's eye is helpful. And using a motor drive gives you choices of best action shot. Observe where the light is coming from to help enhance the image (look for catchlights in eyes). You can sometimes throw the bird out for another retrieve and get set up for a second or third opportunity . Also, I always have my iPhone on me because it can really take extraordinary images, plus it has some of the image manipulating stuff mentioned above. Did I say to take lots of pictures?

The images below are the best shots of a duck hunt I went on last Sunday. I took over 120 shots but not many were all that great (I didn't even work up any except to do this little presentation this afternoon). I didn't get any good ones of the pup retrieving because a wing was over his eyes, or bad light or... I also passed up a bunch opportunities because I was training the pup; but, I was by myself so I didn't have any distractions. By having an image processing application in my computer I was able to crop, change levels of shadows and highlights, enhance catch lights, sharpen or blur edges, etc. It would be hard for me to have any good shots at all without such a program!

If I were trying to populate a website about dogs I would make sure I had multiple good images of the various dogs so the prospective buyer could dream about how their pup will look. That's the single biggest weakness of the typical breeder website I see - lack of images of my prospective dog's sire and dam. I experienced that with the pup I got last year and had to take the word of the breeder that the sire or dam was good looking, etc. I wanted to see their coat, confirmation, side view, etc. (I don't think that's just me).

I think Jack's website is first rate. I loved the layout and the way it flowed, and the images of his family. It all makes for the kind of breeder I would be comfortable with.

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing the photos and the advice as well. Man, Those are some spectacular photos! The camera is a bit pricey, but maybe its worth it. Is it pretty small? Size would be factor for me. Also, ease of use. I am a beginner and have a lot to learn with photography. Something that will take pretty decent pics and not require a lot of detailed knowledge would be nice. Also, what computer program do you recommend that is very user friendly, but one can still improve the pics with?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion