Sorry jerkwads with guns!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Sorry jerkwads with guns!

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Need to vent. I have sole permission to turkey hunt a friend's lease in Arkansas. I's a little over an hour from where I live. First time I scouted it, I found lots of turkey sign and bought a full season non-resident license ($350). But I never heard a gobbler, much less saw one. So I decided in subsequent years to wait until I heard a gobbler before investing in a license. For two years, I never heard one. This year, I heard one last week, but the weather was nasty until today. So last night I bought a one day license ($55) and went this morning. Didn't hear anything on the roost. About 9:30, I heard one pretty close. Called a couple of times and it responded enthusiastically. It was headed my way on a slight diagonal, and then two shots not far away. Tried to find the shooter(s), but no luck. Think that explains the lack of gobblers; tresspassers are getting them.

Called my friend and he's pretty sure the guy(s) are from a neighboring hunt club. If the lowlife can be identified, I'm going to ask him to reimburse me for the cost of the license, and tell him what I think of him!.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Sorry jerkwads with guns!

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 am

If the Fines/penalities for Trespassing were higher we could put a stop to the problem. As is, it the cheapest access to quality private lands there is!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 am

I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 am

A few trail cameras will help in identification.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Did some online research about Arkansas' trespass laws. It goes from a Class C misdemenor to a Class A if the trespasser has a killing device, which of course this scumbag did. If you're convicted of two or more Class A misdemeanors under the statute and you do it again, you can be charged with a Class D felony. Penalties for a Class A misdemenor could include jail time, restitution, expenses, attorney fees, and punitive damages.

If we can identify who the guilty party is, and my friend is pretty confident the hunting log for the club he came from will reveal that, I have some leverage. It's going to cost him more than he expected when he shot that turkey. Also, I'll definitely have the Game Warden verify whether or not he checked the turkey. If he didn't, that's just another issue he'll have to deal with.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Stretch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm

When I was growing up I could hunt anywhere I wanted. Now with in the last 10 years everything is leased up. It has done nothing but increase the population of deer, coon, and coyotes. The size of the game is going down dramatically and diseases are taking over population control. Also the out of state people are not putting nothing back into our local economy besides money spent on a drink at the bar. My two boys will not be able to hunt half the ground I have. Hell just this year got told I can’t turkey hunt my grandpas old farm because it’s leased, I grew up on that place. I know change is going to happen but the leased ground and out of state people buying all this ground just for hunting has went overboard, And all for some antlers. We all want to see our kids and grandchildren outside hunting and fishing, if things don’t stop they will never have access to that. I know everyone says there is public ground but it won’t support the population of hunters. Also the more public land there is the more you take out of the tax base that goes towards our kids education. The ground leases and all the out state people that buy ground just for deer hunting is the reason I quit coon and coyote hunting with dogs. They are just as big of a problem as peta here, they are trying to shut down running dogs all together for a damn deer.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms