Re: Weather and Habitat Make or Break our Bird Numbers

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Doesn't sound good at all . thanks for sharing. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Its really disheartening when these things happen. Part of the cycle. They will bounce back, but it may take a little while. AG, if I remember right you reside in Missouri. Is that right? I know where you live makes little difference as you hunt a lot of different ground away from home, but I was just curious.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 pm

JT3, Yes I on the MO side of the boarder with IA by 10 miles as the crow flies. And yea its a bummer for sure.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:09 pm

not sure what the world is coming too , Arizona had a golf course close , because of 6 inch's of snow.

had a rabbit on my 2nd story deck , we have enough of the white stuff, he walked right up the snow bank.

Deer will be mostly hit , hard , but according to the experts , CWD is not man made. :wink:
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 pm

The Dakotas need to recover from dought. Too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 pm

the Northwest is experiencing the same. I'm feeding about 60 elk. Found a red-tailed hawk frozen at base of a fir tree next to one of my bird feeders. The quail and chukar were only beginning to increase their numbers decimated from a similar severe winter two years ago plus several years of drought. These extreme weather events are thought to be a result of global warming. I guess we can expect more.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Montana bird numbers were in the toilet last year. Small pockets of decent pheasant numbers, but overall not good. Places I normally see good hun numbers were basically devoid of the little buggers.
I have hunted SW MT blue grouse religiously every weekend in September since the mid 80's - I put 10 blues in the freezer, maybe the fewest in my history. Sharptails looked the same as the others.
This has been the snowiest and coldest February in Montana since the start of record keeping. Still snowing as I'm typing and lows this weekend are predicted to be -18f.
Birds here aren't gonna' experience much of rebound this year. The weather has buried the habitat...........................................
^^ - Should clarify - for Western and Central MT. Eastern Mt isn't quite as wintery, except for the seriously cold temps. The floods of birdhunters from allover the country and their trailers full of dogs will show up in Eastern Montana whether there are birds or not. I'm quite sure they would fight over who gets to kill the last rooster if it literally came to that......
mtbirder
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 pm

That’s not great news unfortunately. I’m going to have to figure out which direction to point the car next season, assuming the indications in the spring are in keeping with the biologist’s predictions.

Anyone have an idea of how Oklahoma’s winter has been...wet enough, too wet?
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm

woodboro wrote:according to the experts , CWD is not man made. :wink:

While the disease wasn't man made, its rapid spread was. It was first identified in captive cervids and was spread by the sale of infected animals from those herds. Sales continued even after regulations were in place that prohibited selling such animals.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion