Dog Laying down on Whoa

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dog Laying down on Whoa

Postby Meridiandave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Pretty much. The one I use is a functions like the one in the picture. The only difference is I use a leather collar. And a piece of rope with two clips on each end. I can clip to either collar or unclog when I want.

https://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Suitcase-H ... tinfo/SCH/
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 pm

orhunter elle on point.jpg
orhunter wrote:My second Griff had a great first season, thought she was dialed in. Over the following summer, she’d forgot most everything and took a couple weeks to get her under control that second year. Kind of embarrassing when Bruce Schwartz come down from AK to hunt and my dog was anything but steady. I called it, the terrible two’s, like raising kids.

I remember it somewhat differently and have photos to prove: here's Elle pointing chukar and Orhunter ready for the flush
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:26 pm

I had good success using a place board to teach whoa in the beginning when my griff was a young pup and then finished up going through the whole whoa post process, even the part whee you put the e-collar around the flank of the dog. Besides the verbal command, I also used a one tweet on the whistle simultaneously with the command. She'll stop on either the verbal or the whistle but if I'm in the field and she's 30-50 yards away and I tell her to "Whoa", even though she doesn't advance, her feet are not always cemented to the ground. Sometimes they'll move position,,,,,not much but they will move.

How fussy should I be about this? Should I take back to the e-collar on the flank portion of the whoa post methodology?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby PL_Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm

OP said "...he has a strong prey drive, will point fine, but starts creeping in soon after and chases hard after the release..."

If you want to stop that creeping followed by bust/chase get the dog under positive control. I.e. checkline, and stop it when and where it happens. Your dog is "getting off" on bust/chase and allowing it to continue is reinforcing (rewarding) that behavior. It will continue and get worse if you continue to allow it. I've typed "West/Gibbons" on this site too many times to bother repeating! Do a search if you want to know more. Try internet search also.

Also forget that "whoa" unless you insist on using it for blind retrieves - should have nothing to do with dog working birds! Worrying about the issue of this thread is just getting in the way of you developing a steady bird working dog.

JMNSHO Jere
"Speak your truth quietly & clearly; ... Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
So much to learn, So little time!
PL_Guy
Master Poster
Master Poster

Location: When at home: Seldovia, Alaska; otherwise: almost anywhere

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm

An hour west of you. Posted he is selling pigeons in lots of 50 for $4.50 a piece.

http://www.clinekennel.com
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 pm

AverageGuy wrote:An hour west of you. Posted he is selling pigeons in lots of 50 for $4.50 a piece.

http://www.clinekennel.com

Thanks
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Training