Timber doodles!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Timber doodles!

Postby Willie T » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 am

Last day of woodcock season was Thursday. Cricket and I got to get out a couple more days. The Woodcock are probably my favorite bird to hunt. By profession I am a forester, which put Woodcock right in my wheelhouse. Cricket is 2 now and was not ready to stop. The first picture is a solo hunt, just Cricket and me. In the picture there is a three bird limit, belly up, at the base of the tree, between Cricket and my shotgun. They are hard to see.
TAP PHOTOS FOR FULL SIZE IMAGES
IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG (114.55 KiB) Viewed 519 times

In the next picture, Cricket got to hunt with one of his liter mates Beau, who's owner lives a couple hours drive from me. The two of us had a short time window and agreed to head east and meet up. We explored some new cover and found a few birds. What a fun morning watching the two brothers get after it.
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG (134.95 KiB) Viewed 519 times

A few more coming....
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Timber doodles!

Postby Willie T » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 pm

I snapped a few cell pics of Cricket on point. The pics aren't the quality that some post but maybe enough to get a feel for it. A lot of the birds are pointed in a tangle of brush and briars. It can take some time to locate the pointed dog. Cricket will flush on "hup" when desired. Depending on the day, finding a crease in the cover, then "hupping" the dog to put the bird up can yield 30% or more additional shot opportunities at pointed birds.
TAP PHOTOS FOR FULL IMAGE
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG (183.15 KiB) Viewed 513 times

When they flush, they carry the mail and are acrobatic and unpredictable. That and the cover they call home place them among the most challenging to hit game birds I have hunted.
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG (206.19 KiB) Viewed 513 times

In this pic Cricket has one out in the open with nothing but the timber to deal with and a rare layup.
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG (159.36 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Quail are still open and on our itinerary next!
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:11 pm

For me, the only thing harder to hit than a woodcock in cover is a bobwhite in cover! As a forester, you can appreciate how much TSI upland bird hunters do! :shock:
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Good Stuff Willie T! Those woodcock sure do blend in with the forest floor. Envious of you having a month of quail season still ahead. Send us another report.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Very nice Willie! A flush command would be super helpful hunting CA quail by oneself. The density of your cover is a lot like quail habitat out west.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Great way to end the woodcock season, thanks for sharing. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:26 pm

flitecontrol wrote:As a forester, you can appreciate how much TSI upland bird hunters do! :shock:

Obvious experience speaking there.

mtlhdr wrote:Very nice Willie! A flush command would be super helpful hunting CA quail by oneself. The density of your cover is a lot like quail habitat out west.

Cricket and I hunt solo often. In heavy cover a dog that will flush on command pays dividends.
Willie.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am

shot thousands of them , still my 2nd best dinner , but duck comes first.

I love them so much , pic's in house , guns for them , and woods hopefully only known for me :lol:

I work for the fed's on their penting program as a volunteer , and also have sent in wings for over 30 years.

I had a woods , that lasted 9 years before it became just to thick,, the flyway was 2 rivers merging into one. (HEAVEN)
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Deleted
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms