Training Advice for an Amateur

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby Andrew539 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am

I knew to this site, I’m sure this has been asked before so let me start off by saying I apologize.

I currently have an weeks old GSP, had her for about 2 weeks. I plan on spending the next few months socializing her and starting on simple obedience around 4 months. I duck host 98 percent of the time and upland hunt the other 2 percent. However I would like to get into upland hunting more. I’ve read a few books about training for both upland and waterfowl. I just finished the book “Training the Sporting Dog” I believe it is the manual for the American Hunting Dog Club. The book is very well detailed and I like that it literally goes step by step. So far I think this is the program that I will use. However I have a few thoughts and questions since this will be my first dog to train.

1. Have anyone used this book to train their dog? How did it turn out?
2. Has anyone ever used the Smartwork system on a pointer? And overlayed upland training? I know Smartwork is geared torward labs but just a thought.
3. I live in a subdivision and do not have the best setup to keep birds. I have access to land but I’m trying to figure out how to keep birds for training. I thought about a small cage but that doesn’t seem appropriate.
4. When is the best time to introduce collar conditioning (after whoa, after force fetch?). The book mentioned above does not include e-collars in the program but I would like to in mine.

Thank you for the help.
Andrew539
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Andrew539 wrote:I knew to this site, I’m sure this has been asked before so let me start off by saying I apologize.

I currently have an weeks old GSP, had her for about 2 weeks. I plan on spending the next few months socializing her and starting on simple obedience around 4 months. I duck host 98 percent of the time and upland hunt the other 2 percent. However I would like to get into upland hunting more. I’ve read a few books about training for both upland and waterfowl. I just finished the book “Training the Sporting Dog” I believe it is the manual for the American Hunting Dog Club. The book is very well detailed and I like that it literally goes step by step. So far I think this is the program that I will use. However I have a few thoughts and questions since this will be my first dog to train.

1. Have anyone used this book to train their dog? How did it turn out?
2. Has anyone ever used the Smartwork system on a pointer? And overlayed upland training? I know Smartwork is geared torward labs but just a thought.
Lots of people on here like Smartwork for their versatile dogs.
3. I live in a subdivision and do not have the best setup to keep birds. I have access to land but I’m trying to figure out how to keep birds for training. I thought about a small cage but that doesn’t seem appropriate.
Do you have an HOA or city codes? Otherwise you can build a pigeon coop or set one up where you train. I agree, it isn't easy. Good luck.
4. When is the best time to introduce collar conditioning (after whoa, after force fetch?). The book mentioned above does not include e-collars in the program but I would like to in mine. I'd do it before all of that. Generally I'd start when the dog learns to tell you to go eff yourself. 6 months was when I did it.

Thank you for the help.

Remember to enjoy it and have fun.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:17 pm

JONOV wrote:Remember to enjoy it and have fun.


And be easy with the e-collar. Some good dogs have been ruined by folks that didn't know what they were doing. Dogs were trained for centuries without them.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am
Location: Monroe, LA

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Perfect Start DVD will provide good information on basic items as Here, Heel, Bird, Gun and Ecollar introductions. I have a series of Bill Hillman's DVDs and like his approach to training.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby mtbirder » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:55 pm

flitecontrol wrote:
JONOV wrote:Remember to enjoy it and have fun.


And be easy with the e-collar. Some good dogs have been ruined by folks that didn't know what they were doing. Dogs were trained for centuries without them.


From one amateur to another - no advice, just experience.
I fully understand their utility and have no problem with those who train/hunt with the e-collar.
And every bird dog guy is unique in how he(she) works and plays with the dog(s).
That being said, I have an 11+ year old and a 3+ year old that both have hunted all Montana upland species from their first fall until today having never worn a device around their necks. I do not very often hunt with anyone else (excepting my wife) and hunt mostly large-huge expanses of public land or very large ranches. All wild birds.
Probably not for everybody - but it is entirely feasible and doable.
And oh yeah - my dogs sleep on our bed more often than not :lol: .
mtbirder
Started
Started
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby Stretch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Hunt, hunt, and hunt some more is the best thing you could do for your dog. I just got my first vdog and have just taught basic stuff like come and stay, besides he has taught me and himself. It’s breed into them, they have it or they don’t.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm
Location: SE Iowa

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby JONOV » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 am

flitecontrol wrote:
JONOV wrote:Remember to enjoy it and have fun.


And be easy with the e-collar. Some good dogs have been ruined by folks that didn't know what they were doing. Dogs were trained for centuries without them.

A good rule of thumb is to have an idea how to introduce it meaning read a book or whatever, and remember that dogs learn by association. If the dog associates it with taking a walk, great. If he associates the bird field with electricity, bad. If he associates chasing a deer, good.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby mastercaster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm

I used Smartfetch for the FF process, but I also used Jon Hann's Perfect Retrieve,,,,so basically a combination of the two. I really like using Evan Graham's Walking Baseball drill for retrieving and handling. You can find it on Youtube. I do it a couple of times per week.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am

You have a great book there, one of the best ever written ob sporting dog training.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am

I am following this post. Not sure I have anything to offer....But if anyone could expand on keeping birds(with limited space) I think the original poster and I would both be grateful. I am getting a puppy this spring. I plan to trap pigeon for training but I am not sure about storing them. I don't have any desire to commit to a coop.
ForTheBirds84
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 am

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby woodboro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 pm

You are talking about training your dog...
So I am going to give you chalk board suggestion -

All the books you want to read , read them , all the in person training techniques you see , watch them , and finally
FIND YOUR OWN SYSTEM , and stick with it.

As far as birds go , find a farmer or someone that lives in the sticks , ask them if you can build a flight pen , and pay them rent.
This same farmer , may eventually let you train your dog there , and appreciates a hunter for who he is.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Training Advice for an Amateur

Postby Willie T » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Congrats on the new pup Andrew. You have received some good advice. Something that would benefit you greatly is to find an experienced mentor with dogs of his own to train with. With every program, it is imperative for the handler/trainer to read the dog and proceed or adjust accordingly. Learning to recognize the dogs reaction you are looking for, what are appropriate standards to set at various stages, as well as anticipating what will likely happen when you tie into the various phases of training are where a good mentor will fast track you and your dog. He will also likely have access to birds. Either wild or pen raised and likely both. A knowledgeable training partner may be more valuable to you with your first dog than which ever program you decide to follow.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am


Return to Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests