Would you leave dog ?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Would you leave dog ?

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:21 pm

mastercaster wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I'd leave him outside in a heartbeat in an escape proof kennel with shelter and water. Pro's don't keep a kennel of dogs in their house.

What if he barks or howls the whole time? Neighbours might get on his case. Not sure if he has any close by but I sure hate hearing a neighbour's dog bark all day long and I like dogs. Would a dog bark collar work?[/quote

If you buy a good one, they ABSOLUTELY work!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 am

Can u confine him to a room instead of a crate? Can use wide electrical fencing to teach him to stay in an indoor space? Can u build a big enough crate that he doesn’t recognize it as a crate and use it indoors?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Buck Dancer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm

What happens if he is put in the crate? He cries? We all go through that, eventually they accept the situation. Your dog is just getting a late start at it. Start with an hour or so and don' let him out until he stops crying.

I have used hidden fences for 3 dogs now without an issue. I have left dogs alone outside while I make a 2 - 3 hour run but I would not leave one out all day every day.

It does not sound like your dog is fully trained with the hidden fence so crating is your best option.
Buck Dancer
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 pm

I use wireless fence effectively for 4 dogs. The Griff and PP will run through it if game comes close. They always return and stay close to house though. They will not if other dogs tempt them. I have 4 acres though. Wireless fence will not keep anything out. Lost a lap dog to coyotes once. Lap dog thought she was invincible and got lured to perimeter when we were gone. When we got home my Griff trailed down the scene and he found her carcass 100 yards out in a field, 70 yards beyond the perimeter. So wireless fence for us is for use when someone is around and short daylight departures.Doesn’t keep my PP pup out of my wife’s flowers or out of the chewy box that was dropped off! That’s why I also have kennel runs. I find it convenient to have both. If I need 100% isolation or confinement then it’s the kennel run.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Buck Dancer wrote:What happens if he is put in the crate? He cries? We all go through that, eventually they accept the situation. Your dog is just getting a late start at it. Start with an hour or so and don' let him out until he stops crying.

I have used hidden fences for 3 dogs now without an issue. I have left dogs alone outside while I make a 2 - 3 hour run but I would not leave one out all day every day.

It does not sound like your dog is fully trained with the hidden fence so crating is your best option.

No. The dog has separation anxiety from OP's posts. There's a difference between a dog being a brat and a dog that has SA. My dog can be a brat in the crate. But he doesn't drool, he doesn't chew the crate bars, he doesn't chew away at the plastic, he doesn't bust a door secured with eight different zip ties, he doesn't $#it in the crate. All of which I've seen in dogs with crate rage/separation anxiety.

I've crate trained "adult" (10 month old or so) dogs before, including some that I don't think had seen the inside of a house. Like puppies, they throw a fit for a little while but settle.

Sounds like OP is hopefully working through it but its not easy. Like Bruce Schwarz suggested, I have in the past also had luck confining them to 1/4 of the house (living room, basically.)
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:23 pm

my 2 cents - hell no.

I spend to much money for a dog to frown on a electric fence , and find him dead on a road.

I also question people , and their integrity about what they call "their" dog , when maybe it's just a dog.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion