Brush Bobs Break from the Roosters.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Brush Bobs Break from the Roosters.

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:29 am

Spud and I have shifted our fun towards the Bobwhites over the last 2 weeks. Making some short local hunts with Friends and finding 2-3 coveys a day and shooting a few birds on each hunt. Spud and I got the invite to join my local Friend at his Son and Daughter-in-Laws Christmas with her family 3 hours west into Kansas. Met some wonderful new Friends, walked some new earth and knew I was Blessed through it all.

Hunted with 4 Great Guys who get to bird hunt once or twice a season, giving me a chance to enjoy Spud while others do the shooting. (with emphasis on shooting :)). It has been a welcomed break from the strategic warfare of hunting educated late season rooster pheasants. Mentally relaxing but physically tiring, many more chances for stylish points held long enough to assemble gunners. Was able to watch and appreciate how much Spud has advanced in running very intelligent ground patterns in a lot of varied habitat and thick brush. His use of wind, nose, run to efficiently work downwind edges, giving a never stop effort to find more birds, coming up with everything dead or alive which hits the ground, many times with no mark, swinging around and heading to the next likely cover each time I change directions ... He still makes mistakes on some of his bird finds but he is not yet 3 years old and I enjoy him immensely.

Should have used my camera but I used my phone because it is much faster to access and use and I wanted these guys to get some shooting and birds only hold for so long while guns move in around them.

Covey find on a Local Hunt which is representative of our cover. I sent my two Friends in left and right, the covey flew straight through those trees, shots were fired, no quail fell. The shooting in the brush is Advantage Quail.

Retrieve on a Local Hunt which shows more cover. Spud pointed a covey in the heavy grass on the right in the photo.

In Kansas Now. Spud found a covey which promptly dove into an immense series of large cedar choked draws. One Hunter had two shooting opportunities and was unable to make good on either. Spud found a second covey but was tracking them in the down wind direction when they flushed wild. One of our hunters marked 4-5 heading west down a somewhat naked matted down from snow waterway and we got 4 excellent finds/points on singles and a couple of retrieves.

Spud brings them all to me.

If you look close you can see this one is alive.

His joy in bringing me birds is so obvious.

Hen

Covey Find. No one got a shot when the birds flushed in that Brush.

Spud found a spread out Feeding Covey yesterday morning and I got this photo. There is a brushy fenceline out of the photo to the left with several large plum thickets and a brushy waterway going on out. I had my phone in my Hand when 3 birds could not stand the pressure any longer and flushed. I dropped my phone in the left shell bag on my vest, spun around 180 degrees shouldering my gun and fired one shot at a high rapidly departing bird. Hit it and thought it was coming down, but it flew on strong and I watched it go into a plum thicket along a brushy creek 175 yards out. I took off towards my Mark calling Spud to come with me.

Spud entered the plum thicket when I motioned towards it and asked him to hunt dead. He picked up a track and worked it around, went on point, held it, figured out it was crippled and dove in, the bird flushed and flew low a short distance to more thick brush with Spud in hot pursuit. More tracking, another point and another flight/pursuit and Spud bringing him to me alive followed. I so appreciate a dog which loves to hunt dead and could never be happy with one that does not.

I have been privileged to get to know quite a few older people in my life who attended little schools such as this. My Wife's Folks were two of them. On the whole the ones I came to know had grown up into hard working folks with a lot of common sense surrounded by Good Friends and Family. Drinking coffee at the elevator during the winter, stopping in the road to visit with a neighbor as they travelled down rural roads checking and feeding cattle, playing pranks on each other ...

Was taking a photo of Spud racked out beside me on the motel bed, when he sensed it and took a stretch. Flopped his head back down and went back to snoring.

Merry Christmas ya'll. Christ our Savior is Born. Hug your Dogs, and your Loved Ones and tell them you Love them. Safe Travels, Happy Hunting.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Brush Bobs Break from the Roosters.

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:39 am

Great pics as usual. It sure is nice to watch a seasoned veteran like Spud hit all the right objectives and pieces of cover and have them produce birds. Thanks for taking us along again.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for taking us along again; great pics and narrative. Quail in the open, while fast flyers, aren't too difficult to hit. But it isn't often that you are fortunate enough to find them there, and they usually don't remain there very long. I've trimmed a lot of trees/brush over the years trying to connect in dense cover. To me, quail are like fighter jets, and in comparison, pheasants are more like B-17s. But quail can't take as much pellet punishment as pheasants can.

He is risen!
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:49 am

Yes there is no excuse for missing a pointed quail in the open, so I offer none when I do. :D

It is amazing how much more time a guy has to get on them in my brain when I am just standing and watching someone else try to shoot them.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 am

Like the last photo. Motel rooms with dog on the bed is one of the things I miss most about past hunting trips.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:56 pm

spud is a cool dog,,,,thanks for sharing the hunt
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:26 pm

That's a great story, and wonderful pics.

Was that private or public ground? Really hoping my Kansas trip comes through, looks like a blast.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Happy to hear Chancey and I aren't the only ones that wild quail give the fits! Sounds like a great hunt!!

orhunter wrote:Like the last photo. Motel rooms with dog on the bed is one of the things I miss most about past hunting trips.

I agree. We do one to two overnighters a season and the dog spread out on the motel bed is the sure sign of a hard days work.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:32 am

jlw034 wrote:Was that private or public ground? Really hoping my Kansas trip comes through, looks like a blast.

We hunted mostly private but a couple of farms had walk-in areas on their boarder and we hunted those as well. I look forward to hearing about your hunt.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:53 pm

All of a great time AG!

Really nice to have a bit more time to watch and reflect, and used to great effect!

I begin to get the idea that you just might not send the pup back to the breeder yet? :)
You two have done very well for each other. Seems like yesterday when Spud was just a boot tall. :)
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Flyingm » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Aren't dogs wonderful! It Is also wonderful to hunt with friends and share the gifts of your blessed dog!
Proud to be a Rakkasan!
Flyingm
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms