Bloat and twisted stomach

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bloat and twisted stomach

Postby japostol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Trying to find answers. Two nights ago I lost my prize possession bitch to bloat and twisted stomach. She was 7 and on top of her game. I fed all the dogs around 7pm as usual. Then went inside..>Went to bed at midnight and heard 1 dog barking, thinking it was a pup I went out to discover it was my female 7yr old barking in her house. Never does that. I called her out and as she came noticed stomach was so bloated it was like she had 10 pups in there. I let her walk around hoping she may poop or release some gas. To no avail...she seemed in distress. Called vet and met him at clinic. After 2 seperate xrays and tube down her throat he determined that the stomach was twisted and gave me option to operate or put her down. Operate had 50/50 chance

My question to everyone here....

The only difference that night is i started switching her food over (brands i won't mention) and did about half half. That is only difference in many years. Everyone says no its not related, I just find it odd, especially in a healthy 40lb female GSP. Could it be that brand of food or just the ingredient change????
japostol
Started
Started

Re: Bloat and twisted stomach

Postby orhunter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Feel sorry for you and the dog. Horrible situation.

I can think of a couple things that might have contributed. Feeding so late in the day. Maybe feeding too much at one time?

Sometimes it’s just the dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby japostol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks...u have no idea especially when its your best bitch "our leader" as we call her.

Anyhow, yes i read about all that. Been feeding once a day same time for many years...nothing has changed. Freak co-incidence??? I don't know.
japostol
Started
Started

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose one.

I had a griffon that developed bloat - twice. He died from the second episode because the vet was sure the sutures they used to attach the stomach to the abdominal wall during the first surgery wouldn't let the stomach twist. A necropsy proved him wrong. He was one of the best dogs I ever had. Three of the five dogs from his eight pup litter died before age five due to bloat. Not sure of the cause of death for the other two, but it might have been bloat as well.

I think there is a strong genetic propensity for developing bloat. If your dog gets it, have the vet fistulate your dog. This involves fusing the stomach to the abdomen and then it absolutely cannot develop bloat again.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Sorry for your loss, I have no idea about you changing food. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm

It just happens sometimes.

Its like a lot of things, you can do things to prevent it but sometimes they just happen.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 pm

I’ve seen dogs in their beds roll over quickly when startled and bloat a few hours later.

It’s highly unlikely you did anything to cause this. I’m so sorry for your loss.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby japostol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you all! I've decided to go with Pro Plan 30/20 and dogs doing well on it and stools are good. Gives me a sense of comfort after what I experienced even though likely unrelated it still leaves doubt in your head. Merry Christmas everyone.
J
japostol
Started
Started

Postby ANick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:29 pm

"It's one of those things.", is a frustrating answer to the question we lash ourselves with. That voice in the head wondering, "What could I have done differently?"

Hopefully, we learn from answers we find, or lacking that, learn to not torture ourselves too much.

Everyone here that has had dogs has learned one thing, if they had a decent 'pup' and were indeed worthy of that fellowship, or, if they are on their first, they too shall learn.
As a meme that made the rounds fairly recently said:

"What's the hardest part of having a dog?"
"Saying goodbye."

I wish you good memories of your lass and a long enjoyment of the next.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I’ve seen dogs in their beds roll over quickly when startled and bloat a few hours later.

It’s highly unlikely you did anything to cause this. I’m so sorry for your loss.

MissiK, I'd like your thoughts on this regarding bloat:

When my family bought our Golden Retriever (20+ years ago) the breeder, who was well known and experienced, told us to soak the food in warm water a few minutes before feeding. We were told it was to prevent bloat.

My Grandmother did the same thing with her lab.

Is there any truth behind that? I thought maybe the increased volume of the soggy food would take up room so gas couldn't expand? Not sure.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 am

Sorry to hear about this. I know what it's like. I lost a 3-year-old DK to bloat. It sucks... bad. I don't see how a brand of food could cause bloat but you are right that does seem like an odd coincidence. Did your vet have any insight as to what could have caused it? Mine did not, with regards to my DK.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby japostol » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Vet said they see a lot of bloat cases, many of them in middle of night no different than my case. Doing my research I don't believe there is any real proof what the culprit is. In my case, was it weird coincidence?? Perhaps, but enough of a coincidence to not switch over to that food that i was starting to. She wasn't a fast eater either so I'm really baffled.
japostol
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare