Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby Highlander » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 am

There are cases when mix bred dog turns out to be a terrific hunter... but those are exceptions.

it’s hard even to develop a type or line of a certain breed, not to mention a whole new breed, that would compete against already well established breeds.
Some breeders have devoted their whole life to this task. Some of them were successful and some weren’t. It takes enormous dedication and intelligence.
One just can have two dogs screw each other and declare a new breed. That’s not how it works, unfortunately or fortunately. There will be some good dogs but they will only make up a tiny minority.
Many many years ago in England they established a club for those mixed dogs, which looked not as gracious as pure bred pointers but still hunted well. They called them droppers. They club vanished after some time. The reasons are clear.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:13 am

Highlander wrote:There are cases when mix bred dog turns out to be a terrific hunter... but those are exceptions.

In England they established a club for those mixed dogs, which looked not as gracious as pure bred pointers but still hunted well. They called them droppers. They club vanished after some time. The reasons are clear.

My Dropper - A deliberate Cross of a setter to an EP. Given to me by a man dying of bone cancer. His last bird dog my first. The dog taught me to pheasant hunt in a whole new way from how I had been going about it without a dog. Once a running rooster had run out from under his point a couple of times, he would make a swinging loop out to the front, work back towards me and pin it down. It was beautiful, highly effective, and self taught. I would take another one just like him in a heartbeat.

I think the aspect of "exception" to cross breeds being terrific hunters is those that are given a serious chance to be "terrific" are few. Of those that are I think it is pretty common for them to make good in the field. Which does not make them a breed but it does make them a hunting dog.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 pm

which is why the OP's cross between a WPG and a Labrador could make a good hunting dog. I always thought pointing labs could use some pointing and range juice
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:I always thought pointing labs could use some pointing and range juice

I agree, but don't tell my friend with the pointing Lab that stays close and doesn't hold point very long. To him, she's great!
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm

A lot of folks think their dog is great because they've never hunted with a great dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27 pm

AG, well said, I agree. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 pm

orhunter wrote:A lot of folks think their dog is great because they've never hunted with a great dog.

Like taxidermy. Once you have seen work from Yox, Valentine, or Romero - you realize how average most of the work out there really is.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 pm

People being happy with the dogs they own is a Good thing in my view, and unless the dog is bred, it brings joy to them and harm to no one else.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion