Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby mtbirder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Fun reason to show her off. Photos of a myth........
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pm

mtbirder. Any reports of how other dogs from that litter performed?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtbirder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Of the four that I know something about, only one went to another hunter. He is equally pleased.
Unfortunately, the other three became just pets. What a waste-my opinion and another topic.......
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 pm

That is a pretty neat looking dog. Glad you’ve had such a great experience. Thanks for sharing.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 pm

What a beast!!! That "thing" really looks cool. Looks like it was heavily influenced by the Griff side. Hunts like it too.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 am

montana point .jpg
looks like a Pudelpointer ... with a shorter tail
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 am

Why would they put the second "i" in the name of the breed. Shouldn't it be called a griffondor?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am

Surely the irony of a bunch of guys hunting Breeds of dogs developed from crossing several already established breeds, advising against it, is not lost on those reading along. :)

The DDs are arguably the most consistent producing Versatile Wirehair Breed around. They faced all the same arguments when they started out. Good thing Al Gore had not invented the internet yet or that Breed might not have gotten off the ground.

I have hunted with numerous excellent hunting dogs which were mixed breeds. Mt Cur/Bluetick, Lab/Redbone, Setter/Brittany, EP/Setter. They were not remotely a reproducible breed but they were excellent hunting dogs.

No doubt the task of developing a breed is a huge and long road, and the need for another breed is questionable.

Crossing a pointing breed with a retrieving breed is a complete genetic crap shoot as to pointing instinct in the first and successive generations. If pointing instinct is the goal, a great deal of culling and selection will be needed. Standardizing the coat while maintaining and building the targeted hunting skills/style will take even longer.

Doubtful it will ever produce anything better than several already existing breeds of dogs.

Easy enough for those interested in such a dog to give one a try and for those choosing to take a pass, to do so.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
montana point .jpg

:lol:
Lotsa' folks assume my girl's a PP. My buddy docked the tails of the pups himself, was all self conscious because afterward he realized that they came out "too short". I happen to be amused by her stub........
I've heard the (I disagree) adage - "you get one good dog in your life". But I will believe you may only get one truly unique dog in your life.
I have had an absolutely perfect partner in her for going on 12 years.
My dogs and I hunted 40+ days in MT this year - except for a three week healing-from-a-broken-claw stint, she was out there the whole time. ....Trailed a running rooster for almost 10 minutes, the rooster luckily holding up under a greasewood shrub instead of blasting off, a right-under-her-nose point, and bird in the bag. Just another typical day for a bird dog mutt.
Sometimes luck beat skill - in a lotta things.....
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:20 pm

A F1 cross is not a breed, it's an experiment. While useful individuals can be produced, until or unless there is a stated standard to be met, it's just marketing.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bwjohn » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:41 pm

Ag,
I dont think anyone is questioning the legitimacy of the dogs hunting ability or any crosses of two pointing breeds and etc.

It is the purposely breeding the dogs and possibly trying to make a quick buck by giving them a name and acting like they are a breed. It is not until you have multiple lines that can produce like dogs.

I hunted rabbits my entire youth over mixed and pure beagles, doesnt matter if it is a good hunting dog it is a good hunting dog. Just dont pretend it is something it is not, griffindors or griffondors are not a breed.

Brandkn
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Brandon, Yes, we agree a Crossbreed is not a Breed as I made clear in my first post.

Easy enough to avoid them if they are not of interest to a person, so I just don't get the same hair on fire reaction some do when I see it.

I talked this morning with a Buddy who does a great of hunting annually from North to South in North America. He runs a nice crew of well bred and trained GSPs.

He acquired his second Lab/GSP cross a couple of weeks ago. Relayed the dog hunted close has an excellent pointing instinct including a natural 50 yard back of his GSPs, hunts dead and retrieves really well and has a great easy going personality. He guides large group pheasant hunts in milo stubble and the dog will be used and useful in that setting.

I like it when dogs get a chance to make good and do, no matter what their pedigree. And as long as it does not affect me and I am not asked to Finance it against my will, I lean heavily towards Let Freedom Ring.

If someone in the marketplace does such little research as to actually acquire a CrossBreed dog thinking it is a reproducible Breed vs what it is, then I think that is right dog for that person to own ...

AG
Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice hunting dog, just stop trying to pretend it's a "breed." That's the myth. :lol:
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
http://versatiledogs.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4979&mode=view

Nope. Like a soft-coated wirehaired standard Boykin! (But not a soft-coated wirehaired standard AWS, Bruce - the tail tells the story on that one, old man.)

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Right from the get go my thinking of what is being called a griffondor is that it was totally an accidental breeding because the owner wasn't able to keep the two dogs apart when the female was in heat.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion