Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby jlw034 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Well, handed off Lena one last time to the father-in-law. She gets to hunt the closing weekend of SD while I work. Boo.

I'm sitting here, looking at the Invitational registration, wondering what to do. It's 13 hours away, on a week/end that I have to work. I get precious little vacation, and I don't know if I want to burn it for a test.

There's also the fact that I've done literally zero backing work, and that worries me. Choices, choices.

Also, $425! Not cheap!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Do you want Lena to learn to Back? If yes, there is nothing a like a Hunt Test to drive a guy to train for it.

Spud and I missed our shot at trying for a VC this past September. Will never have an easier opportunity either, as the Inv was run on the same grounds he ran/passed his UT. Close enough for us to drive up and back on the day of the test. Training for Backing would have been our biggest challenge as well. The dates of the Inv were right over the top of my archery elk hunt in NM and there was no way I was going to miss that for a hunt test.

My vote is sign up. I fully expect you two will pass if you do.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am

jlw034 wrote:Well, handed off Lena one last time to the father-in-law. She gets to hunt the closing weekend of SD while I work. Boo.

I'm sitting here, looking at the Invitational registration, wondering what to do. It's 13 hours away, on a week/end that I have to work. I get precious little vacation, and I don't know if I want to burn it for a test.

There's also the fact that I've done literally zero backing work, and that worries me. Choices, choices.

Also, $425! Not cheap!

It seems like most guys have done little/no backing work. But that doesn't mean it can't be taught.

Some guys train and test their dog for hunting tests. Other guys train their hunting dog using tests as a benchmark. Good luck whatever you do.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Well, training season is underway. Taking it slow since we have all summer to sort things out, but I think her gears are turning.

My backing scenario is as follows. Plant a bird in a launcher. I position them on the backside of a hill or knoll.

I've been using both a real dog and a silhouette, depending if I have help or not.

After the pointing dog has established point (or the silhouette is in place), I bring Lena in upwind of the birds. In the beginning she was clueless and wanted to run right in, so I launched the pigeon and whoa'd her. I want her to think she busted the bird, and for her to make the connection that a dog on point means a bird close by.

It only took about 3-4 times for her to learn the game, and she started backing. I'm happy so far.

I put her up for the last few days as she was getting sticky in the field, never quite sure when a hill was going to be hiding a dog on point. I will get after it again in a few days, probably let her run a big field solo first.

I know the transition to a wide open back will be a challenge, but I have confidence that we will get there.
Attachments
IMG_20190409_075452-02-1280x1280.jpeg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Looking good. Your approach sounds well thought out and as you say, you have plenty of time.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Awesome, she is a beautiful dog.
IS your silhouette free standing or do you have a remote control . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm

It is free standing.

Supposedly our NAVHDA chapter has a remote flip up one, I'm trying to track it down.

Thanks for the kind words.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I had the opportunity to help out at a PF Disabled hunt. A bunch of awesome guys who, for a variety of reasons, don't move around quite as well as they used to. Whispering Ridge Game Farm was kind enough to host, and they did a great job.

Steadiness was crucial as most hunters were riding in UTVs, and that took some maneuvering to get them in place for the shot. Overall we were very successful, and there seemed to be plenty of shooting opportunities.

Lena did her fair share of pointing and backing, as well as retrieving. She didn't seem phased by the machinery in the field, just happy to run.
Attachments
DSC01829-1280x853.jpg
DSC01792-1280x853.jpg
DSC01776-1280x853.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:01 pm

There was some very good shots made.
Attachments
DSC01878-1280x853.jpg
DSC01787-1024x1535.jpg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Very Nice. Those are great opportunities to concentrate on dog handling and re-enforce training. Looks like the Backing is going well.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion