Versatile Brittany

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Versatile Brittany

Postby gopokes » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:36 pm

The recent Brittany thread got me thinking about whether or not anyone used brits in a versatile sense - blood tracking, light waterfowl, etc.
Lots of youtube videos out there from across the pond where brits are used for rabbits.
Is anyone breeding for those traits? My guess is no, but maybe there is enough innate ability to be channeled in some of these areas. Thoughts?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
gopokes
Started
Started

Re: Versatile Brittany

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:23 am

To get a general idea, you can take a look at NAVHDA Utility tested dogs in litters produced/breeder test results to find the breeders who may be focusing on versatility. https://www.navhda.org/search-the-registry-database/. Granted testing is primarily dependent on the owner, but if the breeder is testing their own dogs, it may give you a better idea.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Versatile Brittany

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 pm

gopokes wrote:The recent Brittany thread got me thinking about whether or not anyone used brits in a versatile sense - blood tracking, light waterfowl, etc.
Lots of youtube videos out there from across the pond where brits are used for rabbits.
Is anyone breeding for those traits? My guess is no, but maybe there is enough innate ability to be channeled in some of these areas. Thoughts?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My thoughts are you would be going about this the hard way. Extremely easy to find genetically naturally talented GWPs and DDs that excel at upland birds, waterfowl and blood tracking.

You will look high and low to find a Brittany with the same genetic skills for that full spectrum skill set and still likely come up short is what I think. Particularly in the Blood tracking area.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion