New Pudelpointer Puppy

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New Pudelpointer Puppy

Postby TJankowski » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:22 am

Hello,
This is my first time posting on this forum, but I have been reading it for quite a while. It's actually where I first learned about Pudelpointers 10 years or so ago. I just brought home my newest member of the family on Saturday (Pioneer's General Creighton Maple, "Maple"). She's 10 weeks old today. I'm new to training a hunting dog. Are there any tips during these early months? I have read through several books on training that were recommended to me, but most of the information seems to gloss over the early stages of training and jump into things that I don't think Maple has the attention span for yet. So far, I have been taking her for walks on the leash, letting her run around in safe areas with a long check cord, trying the bumper a few times (she doesn't seem overly interested yet), and trying to socialize her with my kids and our 3 other dogs (2 miniature schnauzers and a Newfoundland mix). She has been getting along great with everyone. She plays a little rough and likes to pretend she's the boss with the Newfoundland mix, but I've been trying to teach her limits. I plan to take her out in the field on weekends to explore and possibly find some wild birds if there are any around this year, but I don't plan to do any shooting this early on yet. Since this is my first hunting dog, any advise is welcome!
Thank You!
TJankowski
Pup
Pup

Re: New Pudelpointer Puppy

Postby Dmog » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Congrats on the new pup. We love pictures...
Exposure to everything you can safely do! As soon as the pup can navigate ankle high grass then I would have it out exploring. I would see how bold and sensitive the pup was and determine when to introduce live birds and water. Sounds like she is on the bold side if she is playing rough. I would toss out a live wing locked pigeon in short grass and see how she handles that. This will give you a sense of when she will be ready to start searching a little taller grass for a live bird. The goal is once the pup actively pounces and carries the live pigeon around and gets excited at a flapping one in your hands, its ready to move to the pup finding the birds by scent and no longer sight. Once the pup is showing boldness to new situations or at least actively adapting, then I would expose the pup to water and swimming. I recommend the Perfect Start series from Perfection Kennel. Bob Farris's book is pretty good also. Join a NAVHDA training group if you can. Start basis obedience and place training if you plan to waterfowl hunt.

Good Luck
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Congratulations on your pup. Let the Fun begin! Take lots of photos.

I second the Perfection Kennel DVDs. My "Meet Tess" covers quite a bit of how I go about developing my puppies from the outset on and you might find value in reading through it.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TJankowski » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks for the tips! I have the Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVDs, just haven's had a chance to watch them yet. I tried to attach a picture to my original post, but I think it might have been too big. I resized and will attach to this. (Sorry, I'm also a newbie at posting on forums).
Attachments
Maple resized.jpg
Maple resized.jpg (439.01 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
TJankowski
Pup
Pup

Postby Willie T » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Congrats on the new puppy. It is a beauty. Expose it to as much as you can in the short term. People, cover, noises, and smells. Until you have completed the distemper and parvo vaccination steer clear of dog parks and dogs other than dogs you know are fully vaccinated. After a week or so of adjusting to its new home, when it is out exploring, clap and say it’s name to get it to look at you, then take a knee and clap your hands. It will come to you. When it comes boiling toward you give your recall command. When it gets there love it up and praise it. Don’t give the recall till you have it coming. Start teasing it with a puppy size bumper in the hall. When you have it wanting the bumper, pitch it out about 10’ to the end of the hall. When it picks it up, quickly back away and it will follow you. Then take a knee to invite it to you. When it gets there scoop it up and praise it. Let it hold the puppy bumper 15-30 seconds while you praise it before repeating. Stop at 3 or so retrieves. Let it be a puppy and don’t get in a hurry right now. No squeaky toys, ever.
Start the preparation for gunfire. Get two boards. When you feed the pup gently slap the boards together while pup is eating from a distance. Watch closely for the pups reaction to the noise. As the pups comfort and confidence grow. Progressively make more noise. As things progress move closer. The pup will tell you how to progress. Do not rush it. You can also use the lids to pots and pans.
Good luck with your new pudelpointer pup. Keep us posted!
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Dang!!! What a beauty!! Love the hair......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AzHusker » Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 pm

orhunter wrote:Dang!!! What a beauty!! Love the hair......

Yeah, that one would be impossible to discipline. "You are too damned cute. Go ahead and eat my house."
AzHusker
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Tue May 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Ha ha.... That's the way it is.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:15 pm

I've got one too. Happy Valley's Chloe. She is 10 weeks old and hot as a two dollar pistol, and some attitude! The boys will love her. Pictures to follow. Be patient with the pup, you are both learning. Right now I'm working on leash training, come, house breaking, and swimming. So we are busy but as long as the sessions are short she makes some progress every day.
I will soon introduce her to the collar, this is not to "speed things up" it is because I'm 77 years old and I need all the help that I can get. I also know what I'm doing (I think). Stay tuned, I publish mistakes and all.
Have fun.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training