Tick Repellant

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tick Repellant

Postby orhunter » Sat May 07, 2022 6:10 pm

We don't live where ticks are a problem so I don't treat the dog with the common medications that kill ticks. We're traveling next week to where ticks are a problem for the kids NAT, Idaho. What is recommended to repel ticks that won't interfere with her scenting ability? Any advice for short term treatment is welcome. If the weather is warm enough, high 60's on the warmest day, she could pick up as many as 100 ticks a day.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Tick Repellant

Postby AverageGuy » Sun May 08, 2022 2:46 pm

I use Bravecto.

Speaking of ticks don't forget to treat yourself. I took this yesterday after hunting mushrooms. Sprayed down with Repel right before we went. Obviously not very effective.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_k8Tnp8J6tw
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon May 09, 2022 11:12 am

Ticks are out, three weekends in a row pulling one off me and one off one of the dogs. Dog's was dead due to the Nexguard. I spray the dogs and myself with Adams Plus Flea and Tick spray but its pretty strong smelling and washes right off when in the water. I have been happy with K9 Advantix II when I wanted to add mosquito protection as well when I was in between Nexguard treatments. It is messy to apply but seems to soak into the skin and protect the dog for a 3-4 weeks and doesn't wash off.

Don't forget the Heart worm protection...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:59 am

~
Dogs - Bravecto for 3 month protection or Nexgard for 1 month protection

Myself - Sawyers Tick Repellent

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 09, 2022 12:49 pm

I don't like to put chemicals in my dogs. This isn't an extended protection issue, simply for four or five days. I used a topical treatment on a dog years ago in the same area for the same reason and she became a bit sick and probably affected her test score. I know all about the extended treatments, topical and internal.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 10, 2022 7:29 am

Seresto collar seems to fit the bill but I have never used one
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 10, 2022 7:31 am

Seresto collar seems to fit the bill but I have never used one.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:45 am

Ticks are worse here on the wet side than they use to be. Both my dogs get a few ticks on them each year, well probably more than that. They are both on the hairy side, so I’m sure there have been quite a few I’ve missed. I use Nexgard and when I find the ticks they are dead, sometimes within a few hours of being in the woods.

Dogs have shown no ill effects from the treatments. I listened to a podcast a few years ago and a veterinarian that lives in Minnesota said she spaced out Nexgard treatments from the recommended 4 week interval to 6 weeks I believe. She said it was still effective out to 6 weeks. This was of course based on observation and not science, but I figure she new what she was talking about and Minnesota is supposed to be bad with ticks. I have been doing a 5 week interval and it’s seems to be working fine, but I havent really put it to the test.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am

orhunter wrote:We don't live where ticks are a problem so I don't treat the dog with the common medications that kill ticks. We're traveling next week to where ticks are a problem for the kids NAT, Idaho. What is recommended to repel ticks that won't interfere with her scenting ability? Any advice for short term treatment is welcome. If the weather is warm enough, high 60's on the warmest day, she could pick up as many as 100 ticks a day.

Harvey, I've used Frontline for many years and have never had an issue with it affecting my dogs. It certainly will not affect their scenting ability. One dose will last for 30 days. However, I think it only comes in packs of 3 or 6. If you are going to use a product like Frontline I would be applying it right now if you are heading to Idaho next week.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion