WPG breeder advice/suggestions

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

WPG breeder advice/suggestions

Postby gridiron and grouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:43 pm

Hey everybody:
After doing quite a bit of research, I’m very interested in WPGs. I’m starting to look at breeders and I’m a little overwhelmed. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on here. I’m located in Northwest Pennsylvania. If anyone has any suggestions on any East Coast Breeders or even into Canada (Ontario) please let me know. I’m willing to travel for the dog.

I’m looking for a good grouse dog, that I could also train to blood track. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I’m looking for a good house dog. I’m hoping for a female pup on the smaller end of the breed standard. Any info, breeders, or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any additional insight you have to offer on the breed is also welcomed. I’ve joined every WPG group I could find on Facebook and have been reading everything I could find.
gridiron and grouse
Pup
Pup

Re: WPG breeder advice/suggestions

Postby Highlander » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:02 pm

There are a lot of WPG in this NAVHDA chapter, in fact the majority of the dogs are WPGs.
https://www.snenavhda.org/

Try to reach them out, they might help you. There is a contact information on the website.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Andrew51 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:49 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23721

I had a similar thread a while back with some good responses. I felt the WPG breeder scene a little tough to navigate. There are lots of good options, and then some folks just cranking them out.

I ended up with a drahthaar. I don't have much in the way of experience but if i can help let me know.
Andrew51
Started
Started

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:22 am

You can’t go wrong with Steve Brodeur, few breeders have done more for the breed than he has.

https://en.elevageduchasseur.com/
There are people with opinions, and people with experience. Smile at one, and listen to the other.

"Knowledge without mileage is just bull$#*!" Henry Rollins
Jay
Started
Started

Postby Sooty42 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:44 am

I had a longer response, but I guess my log in got timed out and all my text was erased when it made me log in again. Very frustrating.

Anyways, my Griff is great with my young kids. He’s very laid back and has a lot of hunting drive when needed. Be sure breeders breed for temperament, hunting ability and health. Ask them lots of questions. Ask these same questions to references who have puppies from these breeders. After talking to enough people you will find out who is legit and who is feeding you B.S. For a well bred dog you will probably have to get on a waitlist and be patient for a spot to open up.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion