A shot that was not appreciated

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

A shot that was not appreciated

Postby SMAbby » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:58 am

wait and see the feathers I end up eating. we havent hunted together since.


https://youtu.be/C-oSZYj7U6Q


and another

https://youtu.be/KmQlQojE6xU
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:00 pm

Good person to never hunt with again. Idiot. Looked like he shot toward you on first bird and was behind you on second one?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:22 pm

Oh Man! Walking in on the point with his safety off and getting an accidental discharge as he went to mount his gun because of it. Whew.

Blew up the other bird because it was going to be your shot otherwise, which is what should have happened ...

Hunting alone solves all that. :D
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby SMAbby » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Good person to never hunt with again. Idiot. Looked like he shot toward you on first bird and was behind you on second one?


There was only one bird. I was eating the feathers of the bird he shot towards me.

Beleive me, he knew I wasn't happy .the next time I took him hunting, I was watching more than hunting.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby SMAbby » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Oh Man! Walking in on the point with his safety off and getting an accidental discharge as he went to mount his gun because of it. Whew.

Blew up the other bird because it was going to be your shot otherwise, which is what should have happened ...

Hunting alone solves all that. :D



This was a church hunt and I was just using my dogs. I have done this for years for youth, vets, and church.
That was my last year.
Yes, Anka shoukd have held, she could have been shot.

I also have a picture from a vets hunt where the gentleman walked in on Max with the muzzle of his gun on Max's flank.
With Max I wasn't worried, he was solid. But I was in a pickle. I wanted to say something, but sometimes when dealing with veterans you have the PTSD factor.
With the muzzle where it was I did not want to startle and cause a problem.....but Inwas holding my breath.
Directly after we had a discussion on where the muzzle should be.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:33 am

SMAbby wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:Oh Man! Walking in on the point with his safety off and getting an accidental discharge as he went to mount his gun because of it. Whew.

Blew up the other bird because it was going to be your shot otherwise, which is what should have happened ...

Hunting alone solves all that. :D



This was a church hunt and I was just using my dogs. I have done this for years for youth, vets, and church.
That was my last year.
Yes, Anka shoukd have held, she could have been shot.

I also have a picture from a vets hunt where the gentleman walked in on Max with the muzzle of his gun on Max's flank.
With Max I wasn't worried, he was solid. But I was in a pickle. I wanted to say something, but sometimes when dealing with veterans you have the PTSD factor.
With the muzzle where it was I did not want to startle and cause a problem.....but Inwas holding my breath.
Directly after we had a discussion on where the muzzle should be.


My guide career lasted one day. Guy about shot me and then about shot my 8 month old pup. I leashed the pup, told him we were done and walked out of the field. NEVER AGAIN.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:21 am

Some bad stuff can happen, some by accident, some by idiocy.

Did you know steel shot bounces off of water? A guy tried to finish off a duck that was between me and him on the other side of the lake. I got my hands over my face and heard shot hit all around me.

Was hunting with a guy at the state wildlife area because he invited me knowing I had a dog and he didn't. We didn't hunt side by side much because of the lay of the land and cover but every time we got back together, I would hear his safety go click. He was walking around with it off.

I almost shot my own dog, missed her by three feet. I was walking up to a small bluff. When I got a few feet from the edge, I checked to see where the dog was and she was behind me around 50 yards, fiddling with some stale scent. Moved up to the edge and a bunch of Huns got up below. Swung on one and just as I hit the trigger, there was my dog. The image is stuck in my mind. How she got from where I saw her to where I shot in such a short time caught me completely by surprise. It was a few seconds, like 5 or 6 at the most.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 5021
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby SMAbby » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:55 pm

orhunter wrote:Some bad stuff can happen, some by accident, some by idiocy.

Did you know steel shot bounces off of water? A guy tried to finish off a duck that was between me and him on the other side of the lake. I got my hands over my face and heard shot hit all around me.

Was hunting with a guy at the state wildlife area because he invited me knowing I had a dog and he didn't. We didn't hunt side by side much because of the lay of the land and cover but every time we got back together, I would hear his safety go click. He was walking around with it off.

I almost shot my own dog, missed her by three feet. I was walking up to a small bluff. When I got a few feet from the edge, I checked to see where the dog was and she was behind me around 50 yards, fiddling with some stale scent. Moved up to the edge and a bunch of Huns got up below. Swung on one and just as I hit the trigger, there was my dog. The image is stuck in my mind. How she got from where I saw her to where I shot in such a short time caught me completely by surprise. It was a few seconds, like 5 or 6 at the most.



I am pretty sure we have had near misses. I know I have. Once in the duck boat and once in the field. Dogs move faster than our slower brains can keep pace with. Add prey drive to that and there is an easy accident.


never really thought about steel bouncing. Kinda makes the gun sensitivity in water a little more risky. I know when I judges and had to shoot I made sure I was super comfy with the shot.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm

I've seen some JGHV gun sensitivity shots on water that I was not comfortable with.

I once killed two gobblers I called in with one shot. The accidental tom was 10 yards behind and 10 yards off to the side of the one I lined up on. Wouldn't happen again in 100 tries.

An extreme flyer pellet and a lesson in just how extreme some can be. That same experience makes me very uncomfortable with many of the shots I see people taking around their dogs as they chase after birds.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby marysburg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:37 pm

I was running my Brittany in a NAVHDA UT test. Search for duck, the duck was flapping across the water with my dog in close, hot pursuit. The judge called for a shooter to dispatch the duck and as she stepped up to the shore, I started yelling "Don't shoot my dog, don"t shoot my dog, I'll take a ZERO score, don"t shoot my dog." She made the shot anyway. The dog was about 15' behind the duck. I was worried about ricocheting shot hitting my dog in the face, but obviously the judges and shooters were not. I was, and still am, amazed at their lack of considerations for safety. I have run many NAVHDA tests without any concerns for gun safety. I will never forget that day, and my fear for my dog. That day makes me glad I hunt with family only, and we share the same strict protocols for muzzle control, safety on, and consideration for the dog. No bird in the bag was ever worth putting my dog, or family, in danger.
marysburg
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:01 am

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby ryanr » Tue May 10, 2022 1:16 pm

I'm sorry your yelling sure wouldn't have helped the situation. At that point if i were the shooter id have probably hande the gun back to the judge and said yeah, you deal with it. Of course the shooter isnt going to want to shoot your dog. It's not uncommon at all for a duck being chased in the Duck Search to be shot. The shooter is instructed to only shoot if it has a safe shot angle where any ricochet would be away from the dog or gallery. At our tests we will only use a shooter who has done it before and is comfortable with it. And usually we send the shooter out in a kayak to do it. I know I wasn't comfortable at first until I shot a few for my dog during training. Only then did I feel comfortable doing it for somebody else. The other option is to tell the judges that if a duck needs to be shot for your dog only you will do it. I've seen that.

It's done to end an extended chase. Otherwise everyone would be out there all day for just your dog. If people aren't comfortable with the very real chance a duck may need to be shot in a UT duck search they shouldn't enter the test. People should realize this. Talk to the judges beforehand about how that scenario will be handled, find out who the shooter is, talk to them. Or tell the judges YOU will shoot any duck that needs to be shot for your dog.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2, UT 204 Prize 1
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: Lehighton, PA

Re: A shot that was not appreciated

Postby orhunter » Tue May 10, 2022 2:52 pm

Marysburg: When reading the gun handling rules for NAVHDA tests they seem way over the top toward safety. All the rules in the world won't protect us from the idiot on the trigger. I want to carry a gun when my dog tests on Sunday, action closed, no shells in gun and none on person. Can't do that. Burns my butt.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 5021
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

cron