Leash Manners

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Leash Manners

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:21 pm

Having a heck of a time with pup. Don't like yanking on the leash all the time with zero effect. She wears a harness when we're walking so as not to strangle her or damage her neck breathing apparatus. There's some negative press on prong/pinch collars. Looking for suggestions. Always had cooperative dogs in the past but she's a challenge.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Leash Manners

Postby blue04 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:16 pm

Try this. Use a standard flat collar. Clip a regular leash to the collar as you normally would to control the dogs head/direction, and also clip a short check cord to the same collar. Run the check cord between the dogs front legs, under the belly, and then make a half hitch around the flank with it (just in front of the rear legs). You end up with a leash in one hand and a check cord in the other. I know it sounds strange, but it's not hard to get the hang of. When the dog starts to pull, put tension on the half hitch (not the regular leash). This is how I teach heel and whoa to young dogs and it works a treat. Most dogs that will pull and pull against a flat collar or a harness will stop dead in their tracks with minor pressure from a half hitch around their flank.

It's kind of hard to describe how to rig the half hitch in writing, so if my description of how to rig it doesn't make sense, feel free to DM me and we'll sort it out.

PS. I've seen some dogs have good outcomes with pinch collars, so I wouldn't personally knock them. But I think the half-hitch method is faster and better for most dogs that I've worked with.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:47 am

Blue: Familiar with the method, have used it and it does work very well but I'm not teaching whoa or heel. I just don't want the dog dragging me (or my wife) around when we're out for a walk. I will give it a try and see if it has any effect. Thanks.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:10 am

These collars work excellent. The collar self corrects the pup when they pull ahead and teaches them that by maintaining the proper position they can avoid the pressure of the prongs on their neck. I use the collar long enough to engrain the correct behavior and then use a nick with the ecollar to do the same when we go off leash. Enough reps and neither are necessary. https://www.chewy.com/herm-sprenger-ult ... gKeCvD_BwE
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:25 am

Prong collar. Press be damned. Harnesses are designed to facilitate pulling.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 am

I agree, prong collar overlaid with ecollar is my go to method with a puller. I have always been advised to avoid the harness unless I want them to pull. I know it to be true on the wife's and kid's little dogs in harnesses.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:35 am

Thanks guys. Kent: I had one similar years ago but never needed it on my other dogs so sold it to someone. Agree, the harness facilitates pulling. My other dogs never wore one. It was my wife's idea and she bought several. I'd like to burn 'em all but that would piss her off big time.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 am

They need to mysteriously disappear. At my house I find it more effective to beg forgiveness than ask permission….
Good luck with the pup Orhunter. Prong collar is in my new ones future. When my wife walks him the front feet are off the ground half the time…
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:04 am

Another vote for the prong collar. I feel like they work similar to a choker collar, but seem less likely to injure the wind pipe because they pinch the skin and put less pressure directly on the wind pipe.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:49 am

Wife ordered one, should be here tomorrow.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Pinch collar and heeling stick. Or, just a collar and heeling stick.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:11 pm

My step daughter was complaining to my wife and I that when she took her 80lb Golden into the vet and was complaining about it pulling her around and not listening, the vet took one look at the harness she had on him and told her to loose the harness for starters...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:34 pm

Dmog wrote:My step daughter was complaining to my wife and I that when she took her 80lb Golden into the vet and was complaining about it pulling her around and not listening, the vet took one look at the harness she had on him and told her to loose the harness for starters...

What do you see sled dogs, draft horses, etc use? Harnesses...

Pincher collars do wonders.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:42 pm

I don't use a leash, I've had knee surgery and can't afford to be pulled down. She (your dog) knows by now what you are trying to do. In the garage get her to sit ( do use an electric collar) and using a cane or hockey stick, never hit the dog with the stick. hold the stick in front of her nose and step off, saying "COME" the stick tells the dog how far ahead of you she can go. BTW you can heel her on both sides, it can be an advantage, and the dog doesn't care. Once you both get the hang of figure 8s move outdoors and see what you have. My dog loves the practice.
Good luck.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am

orhunter wrote:Wife ordered one, should be here tomorrow.

Harv, been wondering when we'd hear from you about rearin' that pup - I'm late to the party on this, but as for "There's some negative press on prong/pinch collars" it's only them who don't know how to use them that's puttin' out the negative press.

Avgguy, GH, Dmog and a whole host of others are all over it for you. In my neck of the sylvan glade, they're called "magic collars" - imagine that's how you'll soon come to assess it, too.

More about the pup, please - got a friend who's looking for a WPG in the eastern half of the contiguous 48, and trying to help him zero in on a litter.

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Training