Pudelpointer pups

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudelpointer pups

Postby Saltwatercowboy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Hello! I’m the proud new owner of two pudelpointer male pups. I picked them up almost two weeks ago and they have been fun! They are almost 11 weeks old and gaining even more confidence. I expose them to as much as I can safely. They go to work with me and hear heavy equipment, nail guns, bulldozers humming around all day. They do great with whoa and stay even with the commotion. I tell them let’s go back to work and they follow me back to the trailer and jump up in it now. When I got them back home I took them to the beach so they been in the Atlantic and intracoastal waterways chest deep. They rode across country mostly in my wife’s lap and did great for pups so young. I’m looking forward to many years with these dogs as we are already pretty close. I’m open to suggestions or advice with them because this is my first versatile. I’ve had 3 labs previously and dabbled in deer dogs. Just got their puppy dummies and scents. I already have them find an old anther I had laying around. Another thing I’ve noticed these dogs are tough. They play rough with each other of course they are brothers. The breeder exposed them to birds and they’ve got a cute little point to them already. We ended up with two because the wife and I could not agree on color or coat like most things lol. Looking forward to the knowledge in this forum. Jaeger brown/ Buster black. My new buds. PS the bandanas were their Halloween costumes and my wife’s doing.
Attachments
2B425B3C-E83C-4DCC-A584-92EAA394EDCA.jpeg
2B425B3C-E83C-4DCC-A584-92EAA394EDCA.jpeg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 413 times
E8B6ABD7-7102-4B2E-9DFA-02B9A6AC082B.jpeg
E8B6ABD7-7102-4B2E-9DFA-02B9A6AC082B.jpeg (112.35 KiB) Viewed 413 times
487866B7-6429-4267-8CC3-98056F335BAC.jpeg
487866B7-6429-4267-8CC3-98056F335BAC.jpeg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Saltwatercowboy
Pup
Pup

Re: Pudelpointer pups

Postby Willie T » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Just saw this. Your pups look good! Congrats.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:00 am

I like the brown hairy one. Are they from the same litter?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:19 pm

You're a braver person than me. Two dogs the same age at the same time are an incredible amount of work (and fun). I don't know if I've got the energy to train two at once.

Best of luck. They are real lookers.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Saltwatercowboy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:15 am

Thank you for the comments! They are work but a lot of fun too. These pups and I are pretty tight. I went deer hunting over the weekend and took them with me. I let them run around camp freely and they did great. Never venturing too far away. Heard distant rifle and shotgun fire. Got in a chilly river. Sat by their first campfire. And stayed in the kennel while I went to the stand. I wanted to take a deer and let them blood trail it however no luck yesterday. I’m leaning toward a professional gun dog trainer after they are vaccination complete. I think I’m giving them a good start. They also deserve it. They are at work with me again this week as well. Yes they are from the same litter. The sire is a cedar woods dog/ brown. And the dam is a bear river dog TRC/ black. Both NAVHDA tested. Their personalities are as different as their coats which makes it interesting.
Saltwatercowboy
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 am

Don’t get too far ahead in training. They’re pups and will be for quite a while, they have a lot of growing to do physically and mentally. Run ‘em around in the woods and fields, let them absorb whatever nature throws at them. Obedience, whoa, come, fetch, will get you past the first year.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Saltwatercowboy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am

Thanks for the advice! We work on those commands all day. Even when they get fed they are made to stay till released. Fetch we are getting there with. Whoa stay and come they are getting good at. I’ve noticed down as well when they jump up they are figuring out too. I would venture to say these are some of the most well traveled pups I know too. Bumpy rides through the Florida swamp puts them to sleep like babies lol.
Saltwatercowboy
Pup
Pup

Return to General Discussion