The Lena and Lido Show

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: The Lena and Lido Show

Postby marysburg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 pm

As always, thanks so much for taking us along.
marysburg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 am

Great story. Sounds like a fun trip despite the tough hunting. Would you do it again?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Already have the better half talked into an extended vacation there next winter!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks for taking us along. I expect it would be a bit overwhelming trying to hunt that vast country without some initial assistance from someone who has narrowed things down a bit.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Tis the most wonderful time of the year. Opener!

It's been a busy summer training the mutts. Things started in May, with Lido getting a 112 in his NA test. The whole litter did quite well, which is always fun to see.

The goal has been to refine him but keep as much of his natural exuberance as possible. He's such a goofball that runs with pure joy, I didn't want to steal that from him.

Force fetch was a little more difficult than with Lena. Lido required a softer touch, as he doesn't have quite the F U attitude that Lena has. But in the end, I'm happy with the result.

Lots of field work and line drills and water marks were in order, and he has pleased me with his execution. At 15 months old, he has come along quite nicely.

This past weekend was goose and dove opener here in MN, along with our inaugural teal season. My good buddy, his lab, Lido and myself gave it our all.

Lido retrieved his first duck after staying steady through the first teal barrage. We were running four bilge pump decoys, and that definitely confused his mark, but in the end it was delivered to hand. It amazed me, but he stayed steady through every flock that came in.

teal1.jpg
teal1.jpg (395.45 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Later that evening we set up for doves, planning on enjoying a cigar and maybe seeing a bird or two. We did knock down three, and he brought back his first dove after searching a thick millet field.

dove1.jpg
dove1.jpg (441.55 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Sunday morning was a slower morning, but we did have some geese work the spread perfectly, giving Lido his first goose retrieve. Always fun watching a dog try to figure that out. Lots of drops and repositions, but I'll cut him some slack.

goose2.jpg
goose2.jpg (399.73 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Yes, I left Lena home on this trip. Not sure if she's forgiven me yet, but Lido needed the exposure. Hoping that weather cooperates to chase sharpies in two weeks. It feels as if there so much season to go, but we all know how time flies.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:20 am

Looks like your summer of training paid off well. Good job capturing those "firsts" with your camera, down the road they will be even more special to you.

You hit on the challenge of having two Vdogs. It is pretty easy to get them both time on the ground hunting the upland birds, and productive to have a fresh dog to put down alternating drops. Getting opportunities for all on the retriever duties is a bigger challenge. I hate leaving one of my dogs at home but do it for the same reason, getting the young dog necessary experience.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:30 am

Thanks for letting us follow along with y’all as you bring Lido into the fold with you and Lena. I enjoyed it. Great stuff. Doubling your dog power is significant. Following along with you and AG has me wanting to add a second…
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion