Progress

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Progress

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Well, hopefully did the last table/yard session for steadiness last night as it looks like we're ready for setups in the field with traps. Every pigeon thrown she slammed the brakes on for and didn't budge, except once and that was for a bird that didnt fly right way and almost walked into her. It was a purposeful setup but the bird was expected to fly off from the ground quicker. I got a correction and she stopped. I did make one mistake though o her reward retrieve birds (dead chukars.) It was thrown in a way that she had to turn to mark and I mistakenly gave her correction when all she did was turn (her whole body in a 180) to mark and not break. Only her front feet moved. That was early though and just reinforced everything else but I was a little upset with myself.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Progress

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Oh, the lesson learned? This morning I was running the dogs near the lake quick before work and then couldn't find Hazel. I knew she was exploring and hunting so I toned her a couple times. Nothing. Long story short, I walked all over the place for nearly a hour looking for her and toning her (I lost my voice so calling was futile) when I should've just walked back to the truck first because the entire time she was there and every time I toned her she must've jumped up on my truck like "I'm here, I'm here." Now my truck has muddy paw marks and scratches all along the drivers side. Lesson is if you can't find your dog and it's not like it to just run off, trust your dog & maybe check back at your vehicle first before expanding your search (and toning your dog a bunch like an idiot.)

Stop to flush drills with a bag of pigeons in the field tomorrow! Happy Friday and good training this weekend folks!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:39 pm

LOL. Been there pre gps. You may find it helpful to train a back up whistle recall. The tone on the collar just tells the dog to come looking for you, while the whistle cuts through the wind much better to let them know where you are at. I've watched my dogs on gps do a complete circle around me after a tone recall and go to the truck then retrace our original path probably using scent until they could hear the whistle or if I was being real curious or cruel, I would just sit down if I saw they were on the right track to find me. That first 400 yards is the scary time for me...I like to think the last 400 yards is scary for them...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:29 am

Dmog, guess what I realized wasn't around my neck when I went to use it? Yep, my whistle.

Anyway, we didn't get much training in this weekend but we did get to do a stop to flush drill. I only got to use 4 pigeons but it was better than nothing. So I cut her loose in the field and had a helper with me carrying the pigeons while I ran the e-collar and blank pistol. First pigeon she slowed for but never stopped. Got a correction but then she came to me. I set her back where she should have stopped and told her Whoa. As I kicked around trying to make her move I had my helper walk by me and release a pigeon and I fired a shot or two. She was solid the entire time.

Released her and she pointed a leftover chukar and then broke as I went flush. Big correction, set her back. Repeated the previous sequence with 2 more pigeons thrown and fired shots. Solid, threw a dead chukar & shot to give her a retrieve. Nicely done.

Released her to hunt on. 100 yards away she slams on point and holds as we approach. We're looking all over, kicking grass but can't find a bird. She's not budging at all and we keep looking but still can't find it. I give her a soft "Hunt em up" and she doesn't want to move. I coax her with another soft command, she takes a step and locks up on point just as intense as before. Again we're looking hard but can't find it. This entire time she's like a statue. Admittedly I'm not sure what to do and no one else was around that had experience. I gave her another soft command (and she was again hesitant to move) but she takes half a step and reaches down and grabs a chukar! Dang bird was tucked into the shortest bit of grass it must've been laying flat to hide. We probably stepped right over it. She delivered it nicely.

Released her, we threw the last pigeon and she stopped and didn't move until I threw a dead chukar and fired another shot. She broke when the bird hit the ground. Correction and she stopped. I picked up the bird. Came back to her threw another, fired. And then another and fired. No movement, gave her the 2 retrieves. At that point I wished we had 2 or 3 more pigeons because I know she had it down and I actually confused her a bit on that second chukar she pointed and we couldn't find. If the weather holds we'll be doing some trap work tonight under a watchful & knowledgeable eye!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Awesome first night of steadiness in the field with traps. Put out 4 traps with pigeons. Carried a bag of chukars and a bag of pigeons too. First contact ended up being just a stop to flush because she was on wrong side of wind and was about to run over trap. She stopped immediately. Good girl. Threw a pigeon and fired a shot, movement & correction. Another pigeon & shot. No movement, Good girl. Threw a chukar, shot it. Good girl. No movement at all until after the fall as I was walking over to send her and she broke hard for the retrieve. BIG correction but she got to the bird. Then she was a jerk on the delivery and really got a hard correction for it all.

Second trap, slams on point immediately at first scent 20 yards from trap (I should add there was no wind so when she pointed from that distance it was a surprise.) Launch pigeon & shot, throw a pigeon & shot. Lots of good girls Absolute statue and intense. Chukar and shot. Good girl. Didn't move an inch as I approached her. Quietly stroked her and said Good girl then FETCH. Nice pickup, light correction for starting to circle away from me. Nice, clean delivery. Lots more praise.

Third and Fourth contacts were practically flawless with the same intense points and standing like a statue. Several more pigeons and shots and two more chukars killed and retrieved very cleanly to hand. No corrections except she corrected herself when she started to move on the fall and almost fell over to keep her momentum from going forward more.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:56 pm

So we did a second night of pigeons in traps and we have found that 1) she's very honest with her points and 2) she does not like being corrected and is eager to get it right!

In those 2 nights we put out a total of 8 traps and between pigeons in traps and chukars & pigeons thrown she saw 24 birds and did not break once on a live bird. 10 chukars were killed over her. She basically had 2 big breaks, each time on or after the fall. On the last traps we really upped the temptation and then capitalized on a mistake and she demonstrated very clearly that "ok, I get it 100% dad."

It's fun watching her because as soon as she hits scent, boom, she slams on the brakes and that's it. She does not crowd or creep. I also realized that this could make test day a little difficult in that I gotta find that bird and get my gunners in place and get it up. And she's consistently hitting points at 20 and 30 plus yards.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training