Meet Tess

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Meet Tess

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Kent, I like that "trained retrieve" method. So much that I'm gonna have to try that with my next pup. More than just basic bumper training but less than FF.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Might have to bend your ear more on it a bit when it comes to that point. Not for a few years at least though. Rowdy is 9 and seemingly still going strong.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am

@ AverageGuy

Thank you. This is very thoughtful and methodical!
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:10 pm

We keep plugging along with both Trained Retrieve and Steadiness.

I have been working piles on land using a white bucket because I want to condition her to that bucket as the target and then move to crossing water towards it. That will be the foundation for Duck Search training which I hope to begin soon.

I took this clip this evening. We are not ready for self filming as Tess will break without me being able to focus on that vs holding a phone in my hand. Easy fix at this point and I will. This training has gone very well and I now have the tools in place to begin shaping this work and putting more discipline around it. Getting her to come out of the water, sit and hold before shaking off is the first part of that. I like how she immediately sits and looks at me wanting another retrieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTUq62HOh8&t=6s

This is where we are on Steadiness. She needs more of this work before I actually shoot a bird. Still getting corrections in this work especially those birds where she was close when she hit the scent cone. But she understands and heeds the corrections when they come. No corrections were needed on this bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfoMhES8SvM

Spud on a wild bird he found in our training field.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:26 am

Thanks Kent.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Moving to a shotgun and shooting some pointed and then flown birds, working on steady to fall when I have a gunner.

This is our work this morning. I want to get her sufficiently steady to shot that I can handoff the transmitter to the wife so she can get corrections as needed while I start actually shooting the birds. I got one good correction this morning on bird #2 when she broke on the shot. These are birds 3 and 4.

I could tell she was not solid in the scent cone when I found her standing there. I tapped her and gave the command to release her to move up if she wanted to. I was pleased with how she slammed to an intense point when she hit hard scent as she moved up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK4pcUr6-Qw

Spud from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcj0zpIbMlE
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Trained Retrieve is coming along nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inNDQMHRcqc
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hink » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Great work AG your going to have a lot of fun this fall.
Hink
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Lookin’ good. She enjoys her work.

No getting the dog out around here for a while. Temperature forecast to be 112 on Sunday.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:14 am

Thank you Hink.

Man Harvey that sounds awful.

Was 84 with 80% humidity when I took that retrieve video. I was not thankful at the time but guess I should have been. Got any cold moving water around? Most of where I bird hunt needs rain right now.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:38 pm

orhunter wrote:Lookin’ good. She enjoys her work.

No getting the dog out around here for a while. Temperature forecast to be 112 on Sunday.

Yikes orhunter! Mid 90’s here. Humidity in the 90’s as well. It is sticky but with mornings in the 70’s there are a couple good hours in the morning if you get out at daylight.

AG, Tess is looking good!
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Training on a UT subject daily now.

Heeling stakes, blind and decoys on the pond for steady by the blind and water mark. Working two and three bird setups for steady to WSF in the field now. I recruit a gunner when I can, the Wife runs the ecollar and gets corrections when I have to gun. Tess is pretty reliable on Wing and Shot. If a shot bird falls too close to her she will break on the Fall so we need more reps on that.

Worked a duck drag around the house with the Wife stationed where she could see what Tess did when she found the duck. Did just what she was supposed to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOegKWcL_I

Working water blinds as the front end of training for Duck Search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AUSTVeyUxU

Keeping in shape and toughening the feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3SnHLpOG0
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 pm

dabg AG,, ya making me look like a laggard with training!!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am

Cool stuff. Rabbit was lucky.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:15 pm

Good stuff AG, we're working on steadiness too for my girl. It's her "final" piece of the puzzle to being a finished utility dog. I should have had it done and tested last year like her littermates did. Anyway, I got an eye opener a while ago when we attempted the remain and steadiness by blind. She broke on every shot and then melted down in confusion. She still had enough desire to make the retrieve. Anyway it was an eye opener. I got my instructions and went back to work on the table from.square one starting the next morning. Thankfully she bounces back quick. We progressed quickly back to tossing pigeons. This week we added the shot and got a couple of good corrections and she had a couple moments where she tried to convince me "let's go do something else, something fun" but it was neat to see her understand she wasn't getting out of the task and decide to do it and do it well and gain confidence from it. We had some really good dog work. One time she hit the brakes so hard to stop on a wet table she skidded as the pigeon flew by. Another I didn't see the pigeon and only felt a tug on the short lead as she anchored in so I let go- Staunch! Getting ready to transition to the field with traps and then hopefully we'll be ready for chukars right on the ground and put it all together. We have a chapter training this weekend so I picked up some ducks to give her a little reward and escape from all the pressure put on her this week. Gonna let her go do a duck search or two- the fun stuff!

We've also started teaching blinds, so far just on land and also a lining drill you probably know called wagon wheel. A retriever guy showed it to my friend & training mentor and he showed me. That's going well too. It's really neat drill.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion