Must watch this.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Must watch this.

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:12 pm

GH and I have been having a good discussion over on the FF in 4 days thread.

I wanted to make sure folks take a look at this. If it does not wet your appetite to learn more about Hillman's system, so be it, but it sure does for me.

The guy has a large volume of excellent training videos on his channel on Youtube and an excellent series of DVDs as well.

His approach to training breaks some traditional barriers in the Retriever World.

This not yet 5 month old puppy goes on to be the 2020 High Point Derby Dog.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxobxiPpsU
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Must watch this.

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:28 pm

AverageGuy wrote:GH and I have been having a good discussion over on the FF in 4 days thread.

I wanted to make sure folks take a look at this. If it does not wet your appetite to learn more about Hillman's system, so be it, but it sure does for me.

The guy has a large volume of excellent training videos on his channel on Youtube and an excellent series of DVDs as well.

His approach to training breaks some traditional barriers in the Retriever World.

This not yet 5 month old puppy goes on to be the 2020 High Point Derby Dog.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxobxiPpsU

At least in that clip AG, he is doing nothing that trainers haven't done for the last 50 years. Some of the things he does do, other trainers would not, but he is successful with young dog's doing them his way. If you're from the world of retrievers, there's not anything new there. V dog people could learn from it though.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:19 pm

It is one video showing that pup's progress. If you watch and learn his progression which proceeds this one it is decidedly different than the standard FF approach.

Of course his approach also has a huge area of sameness in terms of drills used to the develop and train the dogs. It is not the drills that are different it is his approach to motivating his dogs with no use of physical pain in the process.

His use of excitement and the bumper as the motivating force/reward for the dogs is highly similar to what you see being used to motivate agility and drug dogs.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:40 am

I am just starting to condition and train my dog with an e-collar. This is a first for me and the Hillman videos have been very helpful. I like that he uses the collar in more of a positive way and not as a punishment. I have found that his methods are very simple and straight forward for commands like sit and whoa.

But I'm not sure how these concepts exactly transfer to recall or fetching commands. Any insight would be great.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 pm

I use the Perfection Kennel approach to teaching recall and use that training as the first area of ecollar introduction and use.

I described in my Meet Tess thread how I use an ecollar in the latter part of the chain of training for Hold and Fetch.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Oregon Woodsmoke » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Nice dog. It was very clear to me exactly what the trainer was doing and what he wanted the dog to do. If I can easily understand it just while watching from the sidelines, then the dog can easily understand what is expected of him.

I see a lot of dog training where the instructions are so muddled that the dog doesn't understand and when the dog doesn't understand then the handler gets angry with the dog. That creates a huge mess and it isn't going to result in a well trained and reliable dog.
Oregon Woodsmoke
Pup
Pup

Return to Training