FF in 4 Days

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: FF in 4 Days

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Buck Dancer wrote:I FF'd my Lab in about a week during the winter on my living room floor when he was about 10 month. He already knew hold and was a fetching fanatic before I started. FF was a breeze and I wondered what all the fuss was about.

I tried the same technique (Evan Graham's Smartworks) on my PP. First sign of ear pinch pressure he dive bombs to the floor and rolls on his back. So I quickly gave up because I see that it will take a table, a chain, to keep him up, time, and patience with this dog as he knows more than one way to avoid pressure.

I guess it depends on the dog.

It depends on the trainer, not the dog.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 pm

I've seen one. It was a lab, and the owner needed it FF for the trial being held the next weekend. The dog was a junior/derby so about 16 mo. old. The first mark I saw the dog run on a live duck in the water, the dog killed the duck and shook it violently and then when he go back to the handler, just circled the handler about 4 or 5 times and wouldn't deliver the bird before the judges told him to pick up his dog.

So the lesson I took from that exhibition was to "take your time".
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm

It's a neat discussion because there's a philosophical question and a practical one.

Wife force fetched her DD puppy. She worked closely with a trainer that has ran dogs in both VDD and NAVHDA.

It wasn't a long process before he said, "Congrats, you have force-fetched your dog." Meaning, the dog understood "pressure on, pressure off" and how it related to the retrieve. He said that to motivate my wife because she was anxious about FF/hurting the dog. The retrieve training work was far from finished though. And honestly, the "force" part was a lot easier than what she's dealt with on a few other issues related to the retrieve.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion