Dogtra 2700 T&B

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogtra 2700 T&B

Postby Sooty42 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 pm

I am looking into getting a beeper collar. Based on reviews, I’m leaning towards the Dogtra 2700. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Dogtra 2700 T&B

Postby Huskerhunter416 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:10 pm

Following, I have a 15 year old tri tronics and beeper set up but am worried it’s going to die and I won’t have a collar.
Huskerhunter416
Pup
Pup

Postby Dmog » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:17 am

Since you opened the door for sharing thoughts...I will share I can not stand beeper collars. I use gps and hunt silently but I do not hunt dense forest so have never appreciated bells or beepers. My dogs recall to a tone so I cannot hunt with others that run the beeper collars. Screws with my dogs too much. So, I am no help...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 am

I used Bells, then Beepers and now GPS. I will never go back to a beeper.

I have hunted with several different guys running dogtra beepers and they seemed to work well if a beeper is what you are after.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 am

I hunt the thick stuff in NW Oregon chasing Mt. Quail and grouse. I currently run a bell, but it does not help when the dog is on point. I am skeptical of how well a gps will work in thick fir trees, sometimes my dog is within 30-40 yds and he’s hard to keep track of (even if the gps worked, I don’t want to be looking at a screen that often on a hunt to keep track of the dog). I get that some people get annoyed by bells and beepers, but now that I’m use to the bell I don’t even notice it unless I’m trying figure out where my dog is. I figure I will easily get use to a beeper too. I plan to run it on point only mode, so as hard as it is to find birds around here most hunts it won’t beep much :)
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:42 pm

GPS works in heavy cover.

With a point only beeper you will have to rely on your ears to keep track of your dog in heavy cover until it goes on point. If you are ok with that then you would conversely not be looking at your GPS transmitter a bunch either. My Garmin vibrates to notify me of the dog on point. I added an Instinct watch this year and wear on the underside of my wrist, so simple to glance at it. It also vibrates when the dog goes on point.

One thing I seldom hear people consider about bells and beepers is how it must be for a dog which, until we ruin it, has very sensitive hearing. If we get sick of hearing them, imagine how it must be for the dog with it going off in its ears all day long. Point only beepers of course only go off on point, but how times a day do we want a loud piercing noise going off right next to our ears.

As I posted I have been around people using dogtra, but never used one myself. My Garmin beepers were fairly unreliable, so much so that I carried a spare. The sound chambers commonly went near silent due to weed and grass seeds becoming lodged in them. I carried a straighten paper clip for the purpose of clearing them. In high winds and heavy cover it was pretty common to not be able to hear the beeper when the dog was down wind and even more common to struggle with pinpointing its location. Additionally point only beepers go off each time the dog takes a kennel point, sits and delivers a retrieved bird, stops for a drink by your side.

Sharing my experience with bells, beepers and GPS for your consideration. I don't sell any of them but having used them all I am using GPS now.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Sounds like it’s not a very popular e-collar.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:45 pm

The Dogtra 2700 T&B is an excellent collar. I had the previous model the 2500 T&B and never had an issue with it. As far as I'm concerned it's the best beeper collar out there. The comments you have received thus far are not so much negative towards the Dogtra as they are towards beeper collars in general.

Here is my insight into the Dogtra beeper collars and beeper collars in general. I never ran my collar in the mode where it beeped all the time. I find that quite annoying in the field. I ran mine in "point only" mode. It only beeped when the dog was on point. For the most part this worked very well. However, on windy days it can be difficult to hear the beep. For me, as I got older and my hearing deteriorated, I had a hard time hearing the collar when the dog went on point.

I don't know what you are expecting from a beeper collar or how you intend to use it. Knowing that would help steer you in the right direction. I gave up the beeper collars and went with a GPS collar. It tells me where my dog is and if it's on point. Plus I never have to worry about losing a dog. That's probably the most important thing.

If you are looking for a collar to let you know where your dog is and if it's on point just bite the bullet and get a GPS collar.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:49 am

Sooty42 wrote:Sounds like it’s not a very popular e-collar.

It was a Tri-Tronics stand alone beeper. The most popular and widely used brand in the world at the time. It could be turned on and off remotely from the same tri tronics transmitter that controlled the ecollar I was also using.

Looks like Dakota Zeb told you the same thing I told you.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I need to decide if I want to pony up the cash and get a gps collar. My dog does not have big range, but as some of you have posted there are other benefits to the gps.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Training