The Lena and Lido Show

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: The Lena and Lido Show

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:08 pm

What is the load in the patterns you posted?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:52 am

AverageGuy wrote:Enjoyed it! You got some really good footage. Man Lido was looking great there at the end and he is a good looking pup. Lena is a Pro. Beautiful cover. Public?

Thanks! Both public and private, with private slightly out producing public.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am

AverageGuy wrote:What is the load in the patterns you posted?

#3 steel mixed with #9 TSS. Lil gun powder.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby isuhunter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 am

What a wonderful thread!

Beautiful dogs and making me want a PP even more! What part of Moneysota are you in?
isuhunter
Started
Started

Postby jlw034 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am

isuhunter wrote:What a wonderful thread!

Beautiful dogs and making me want a PP even more! What part of Moneysota are you in?

Thanks! Smack dab in the Twin Cities.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 am

What a weird season. Just got back from a December SD hunt with sunburns. Staying by myself in a motel instead of a house with friends and family. Bird numbers are very mediocre where I've been hunting. Private obviously better than public. Had the opportunity to hunt with a few guys that taught me everything I know about training dogs. My first mentor took a big rooster off a great point from his 12 year old draht. It was an honor to capture that moment on camera for him.

Lena is on top of her game. Working runners like a champ, pinning down old birds, and finding some cripples that I thought for sure were lost.

Lido doesn't know what he's doing, but he's having a blast doing it. Early season cover he was really fun to watch. Late season cattails and thick grass aren't his favorite. At six months old, I'll reserve any critique for the time being.

Lots of GoPro footage to sort through. Started carrying my nice camera with a lightweight 45mm lens. Probably asking for trouble, but it just takes such great photos.

Still a bit of the season left.

jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 pm

jlw034 wrote:What a weird season. Just got back from a December SD hunt with sunburns. Staying by myself in a motel instead of a house with friends and family. Bird numbers are very mediocre where I've been hunting. Private obviously better than public. Had the opportunity to hunt with a few guys that taught me everything I know about training dogs. My first mentor took a big rooster off a great point from his 12 year old draht. It was an honor to capture that moment on camera for him.

Lena is on top of her game. Working runners like a champ, pinning down old birds, and finding some cripples that I thought for sure were lost.

Lido doesn't know what he's doing, but he's having a blast doing it. Early season cover he was really fun to watch. Late season cattails and thick grass aren't his favorite. At six months old, I'll reserve any critique for the time being.

Lots of GoPro footage to sort through. Started carrying my nice camera with a lightweight 45mm lens. Probably asking for trouble, but it just takes such great photos.

Still a bit of the season left.

Yea I hunted in bright sunshine and 60 degrees yesterday.

I laughed at your comment about Lido not knowing what he is doing but having a blast doing it. Lots for a dog to learn in this game.

Beautiful photos.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:22 am

Very beautiful photos.
Even if a game is not many, still, the places like that is what makes up the good chunk of a decent hunt.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:32 am

Thanks guys. Rested for a couple days and headed back out. Too dang nice to not make the most of it. Lena has hunted ten out of twelve days, the wear and tear is adding up. She may not like it, but Lido will be good for her when he's more refined next year and they can split time.

Lido pointed his first bona fide solo rooster. I was a quarter mile away with Lena, and Lido was with my father in law. He's used to hunting with Lena, so when he saw a point he put his gun down, pulled out his phone, snapped a picture, then flushed and shot the rooster. I told him he's nuts trusting the pup like that!

jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 am

Great Job Lido and FIL!

Yea the weather is too good to pass up. Headed back to SD in the morning.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Perhaps the end for my midwest adventures. How I cherish those late October prairie days. Snow and cattails makes a guy miss the early season.

Certainly no lack of birds, but one guy and two dogs have a heck of a time getting around the birds. Birds fell, but not without a lot of sweat equity...and with the amazingly warm weather this past week there was certainly sweat.

I shot rooster #1 and #2 over Lido points, which was absolutely fantastic. They were both short points, maybe 6 feet, but he stuck them none the less. On top of that he had many points on hens. Maybe make a huntin dog outta him yet.

Lena locked up on this tree row, and Lido assisted with the flush haha. Bird flew straight up and ping ponged down the whole way. Lena had no idea where he went, but Lido was locked...almost hit him on the head when it finally made it down.

This was our best day, done in two hours. For some reason the birds held this day, and dog work was great. Probably the nicest SD January day that I've hunted.

Dog were absolutely toast. Snow refreezing overnight was tough on the pup's feet, Lena's must be awful tough cuz she came through fine.

Perhaps a trip to New Mexico in February. That's a big trip with 1 and a half dogs, trying to talk myself into it.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Good work!

Been a crazy year weather wise. Was 65 degrees on my KS hunt 2 days ago. Plowed snow here today. Crazy high winds in SD and ND yesterday. Per my post I packed my truck in sunny 68 degrees and got stranded in a whiteout blizzard the next morning in minus 9 on my last trip to SD.

NM or AZ is tempting!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:31 pm

I like the look in Lindo eyes.
Looks like he is doing great.
Both good looking dogs. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 am

love these stories

and NM/AZ are fun to hunt - go for it!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:48 pm

The last shebang.

I left the tundra as a deep cold front moved in, aiming southwest for 65 degrees and sun. I had to fight my way out though, mother nature throwing a blizzard at me, forcing me to take the long(er) route west instead of south through Iowa. By the looks of I-80 I made the right choice. I-90 through eastern South Dakota was no joke though, and I passed dozens and dozens of stranded motorists as I went 40mph down the interstate, ice a perpetual threat from Sioux Falls to Mitchell.

30 hours after departing I arrived in the American Southwest, my first time being in the desert. A bit of a shock for this born and bred Midwesterner. Supposedly desert quail numbers were up so I was excited (at least for the time being).

I hunted just the last hour on day 1, and it felt good to stretch the legs even if we didn't see anything flying.

Day two started before sunrise, heading to a series of dry washes that looked promising from both satellite and the road. We spent the coolest part of the day walking sand and brush that didn't hold birds or even sign. It's amazing how warm 40 degrees can feel under that sun, and already Lena (the worst warm weather dog ever) was starting to slow. Lido on the other had paid the warmth no mind, running around like a whirling dervish.

Given the lack of sign, I moved about 20 miles away and tried another set of washes. Initially hopeful by the amount of sign, highways of tracks running the edges of the arroyos, we never found our quarry. By now it was near noon and past 60 degrees. The dogs were done so we drove around for a few hours looking for more spots. I realized now that the area I was in was both heavily grazed and sparse with water. We found another spot and hunted the last hour of light, not finding anything. A tough day.

I set my alarm for 4am on Sunday as I had a bit of driving to do. A NAVHDA training buddy was west of the border, and had been for several weeks. Since Sunday was the last day of the season there, he wanted to get out for a full day hunt and graciously invited me along. Little did I know this would be the only shooting I would do on the entire trip.

We met up and quickly left the low desert and climbed into the mountains. He had found some Mearns quail previously in this area and hoped they were still around. Climbing switchbacks and navigating single lane unpaved roads, we came to one of the more picturesque places I've ever hunted. Steep incline behind us, gradual decline below, we watched the sunrise illuminate a hillside full of oak covered coulees divided by grass-covered flats that seemed out of place. We remarked that, although never setting eyes on it, this reminded us of the Serengeti.

We quickly filled up on water, booted the dogs, and set forth down the first drainage. I took the high edge while my partner took the bottom, and not 30 yards in his little E.B. locked up behind us. Incredulous, we walked parallel back to the dog and I could hear the exclamation "get ready!" just before an explosion of wings and shots came from the bottom. Most of the covey flew uphill (a little unusual), but a single cut left up the steep bank and gave me a passing shot. I wanted to shoot reflexively as soon as I saw it, but we were so close to the trucks I had to wait until it cleared the hazard, then I pulled up and fired once. A clean miss. So fast and so small, I realized I was probably choked a bit too tight. We took one bull Mearns out of that covey, and left them to chase later.

We continued walking the drainage down, taking turns being in the bottom or on the upper ridge. Sometimes the bottom was only a few yards wide, and other times it expanded to lush, shady flat. These wide spots tended to have nice grass growth, and often held birds. It was one such spot that Lena, already panting in response to the warm sun, cranked her body hard to the right and froze with the intensity we all know. I hollered that we had a point, but my partner was on the far side and blocked by oak trees. As I approached Lena at a ninety degree angle, the steep side hill directly in front of me, I could tell by her body language that her prey was near, but all I could see was sparse grass and rocks. As I stepped in, several of these rocks grew wings and launched with such sound and fury that I took a step back. Four birds got up and one gave me a clean shot going straight up the bank. I shouldered, fired, and watched a circle of leaves directly below the bird disintegrate. Before a second shot could be fired, the brown female crested the top and was gone. Two missed birds in the first hour. Ouch. While not an ace, I like to think I’m better than that.

After the first loop, I put up Lena and grabbed Lido. Puppy energy, goofy boots, and steep terrain made for an entertaining dog. He took more than a few diggers attempting to make hard turns on loose rock. Calmed down a bit, he started hunting (more or less) and got birdy as we walked the bottom of an especially steep wash. He nosed his way towards a dead yucca plant, it's broad yellow leaves forming a tangled, protective den. His tail in full wag, he nosed the plant hard and out the other side a blur took off up the far bank. I swung as fast I could and connected just as it reached the ridge. Lido, ever the energetic investigator, took off up the hill and disappeared. My partner, on the side of the hill, had full view of the pup. Shouting encouragement and giving a play by play of the uneducated dog's furious search, I heard a cheer and saw Lido's head appear over the ridge with the smallest of prizes in his mouth. He promptly descended and came to my feet. Worried that he might think this bite-sized bird an appetizer I quickly grabbed the male mearns and grinned. My first win of the trip. It felt good.

Giving full credit to my partner, almost every drop we took held birds. Some coveys were small, some had ten to twelve birds, and all were exhilarating. Once I opened up my choke to IC my shooting improved. These birds are fighter jets compared to the B-52 bombers I normally chase in the CRP. It's both slow and fast though. It seems that once the dog goes on point they held indefinitely, giving the shooters ample time to arrange themselves with the least amount of hazards in the way. Then, all at once, its chaos and noise and gunpowder and laughter. I say "all at once" but that's not really the truth. More than once we had what my partner called "gomers", birds that sat after the rest of the covey flushed. As we watched our dogs make a retrieve, or more often, gave excuses as to why we missed, we would be startled by one bird who was late to the party. Expletives often followed.

As the sun got low we thought about how lucky we were. We started hunting in September, and here we were in February still at it. Our dogs worn out, my knee protesting loudly, I checked my watch. It said I climbed 88 flights of stairs that day and took 20000 steps. I could believe it. Carrying several liters of water on each drop, and generally being all out when we completed our loops, I was reminded how cool weather CRP hunting shouldn't be taken for granted.

As alluded to, this was the only shooting I was to do during this particular boondoggle. I made this trip to chase Gambels and Scalies as their numbers were supposed to be up, but I quite literally never even saw one. The desert won that tilt.

Trying not to do the math on dollar per pound of meat, I will say that this was a great learning opportunity. Knowing what I do now, I would certainly do things differently next time. Hopefully next time is soon.

jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion