Teaching bad habits

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Teaching bad habits

Postby Densa44 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:02 pm

This is an addition to "you are teaching when you don't know it". I got a blog from a newbie the other day and the handler was teaching a pup short retrieves and delivery in the house. I think it was also to demonstrate how to use the collar for recall. The dog came right back, put its front paws in a small stool (I don't know why) and presented the dummy. On one of the exchanges the handler dropped the dummy, and not thinking, she picked it up and went on with the lesson. NEVER do this, the dog ALWAYS picks up anything that is on the ground.
When I'm teaching sight blinds, I always fumble the dummy and the dog grabs it almost as soon as it hits the ground (she thinks that it is great fun) and hands it to me again.
I'll let some of the others tell you what can happen in a test if the dog doesn't pick up a bird at your feet. You are always teaching.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Teaching bad habits

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Sounds logical. The dog is in control until the object is securely in the handler's hand. No exceptions.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Teaching bad habits

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Densa44,
Had pup been FF ? If so then you are correct pup should have been given "fetch" and a correction. If not. Nothing wrong with pup dropping.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training