3" 28 Gauge

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:56 am

Had heard a while back this was in the works. Sportsman's has the ammo on their website but wondering who is making the guns? We don't need a 3" 28. Just fine in it's original form.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:03 pm

SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby carramrod » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:53 pm

A little off subject but I've found 4 unfired 28 gauge shells in the field this year. Random and they were 2.75s. 2 in KS 2 in MO. Guessing they were taking a break and forgot their gun was open.

Never shot a 28 but would love to find a good one at a reasonable price at some point.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:42 am

carramrod wrote:Never shot a 28 but would love to find a good one at a reasonable price at some point.




I love my 28s,,,,been using one since 1977 or so,,,that original was an H&R singleshot 28,,,

check out the Turkish made Huglu guns (not sure who's importing them now),,, I have a 28 gauge SxS from them that is my go to rabbit gun,,,, got to watch some of the imports for fit - not sure who they used for "average" but some don't fit me for jack,,,
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:22 am

I think CZ re-brands Huglu. Dunno if they have a 28 available. I've had a Browning on order through Sportsman's Warehouse for what seems forever and no word. Looked into Guerini but didn't find one, need to check local dealer again. Right now shooting a Browning Model 12 but don't like shooting something that may have some collector value one day. It's really nice and want it to stay that way. Franchi is said to have a nice one, know there's some V-Doggers that have one.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:50 am

I have a Franchi o/u 28 and Benelli Legacy 28. Very enjoyable gauge. Neither are chambered for 3 inch and I have no need for it. I use the 28s for dog training, doves, quail, squirrel and rabbits. Winchester Super Sport AA at 1300 fps in 7.5s is very effective when placed on target.

Regarding the 3 inch, if I wanted to shoot a 20 gauge load, I will shoot a 12 gauge instead. I have 3 that weigh 6lbs.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 am

Kent: I'm with you on the 12 vs 20. I do have a 20 and carried one time when hunting with Bruce Schwartz, fired maybe four shots. Safe queen. I know 20's are popular probably because they're somewhat lighter but they're also obsolete at the same time. I don't think the weight of a gun should ever be a factor in what we purchase. If it fits, it's a good gun. Nothing else matters. I don't think light guns swing worth a hoot but neither do real heavy ones. Notice that with my Magnum A-5, a tad slow but can live with that. I carry it when shooting steel on Federal land.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby Dmog » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm

I just enter the 28 gauge World this spring with a regular chambered Tristar Viper. My wife shoots a Viper in a 20 gauge sporting youth and I really like it so I came across a used Silver Viper adult stock with shims. I have been hammering sporting clays with it. Going to try it this year on quail. I don’t see the advantage of 3” chamber for 28 gauge but I do like my 20 gauge 3” for late season roosters. Pretty much only use my 12 gauge for ducks and geese now. If I was going to be punished and could only have one shotgun for all, then it would be my Remington V3 as it is the most versatile of all my guns.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
User avatar
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm
Location: Pratt, KS

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby Willie T » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:46 pm

orhunter wrote:Kent: I'm with you on the 12 vs 20. I do have a 20 and carried one time when hunting with Bruce Schwartz, fired maybe four shots. Safe queen. I know 20's are popular probably because they're somewhat lighter but they're also obsolete at the same time. I don't think the weight of a gun should ever be a factor in what we purchase. If it fits, it's a good gun. Nothing else matters. I don't think light guns swing worth a hoot but neither do real heavy ones. Notice that with my Magnum A-5, a tad slow but can live with that. I carry it when shooting steel on Federal land.


The 28 is fun, effective, and I like it but, you guys are nuts if you think a lightweight trim little 20 is obsolete.

Back to the original post. 3” 28 ga is intriguing. While I agree it is already an over achiever, a tight choke and the added payload just might add enough reach to make it a little more mainstream. If that happens, one day we might see 28 ga ammo prices more in line with the 12 and 20.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 pm

WT... Not the gun, the cartridge.... Clearly understand the want for a gun nice to pack around. They come in all configurations and weights.... and gauges.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:15 am

FRANCHI owner here....
Yeah, 28ga in a gas-o-matic AL48. It's so light it's like carrying a mop handle around, I don't want to even add the weight of shells to it when carrying.
You can really hit hard with a 28 ga once you establish the guns range and propensities. Not too far out, not too close in, you need to let the shot string develop, then you hit like a ton of bricks.
Lots of fun...
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
User avatar
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:20 pm
Location: The Ponderosa- Carlisle, New York

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 am

Willie T wrote:
orhunter wrote:Kent: I'm with you on the 12 vs 20. I do have a 20 and carried one time when hunting with Bruce Schwartz, fired maybe four shots. Safe queen. I know 20's are popular probably because they're somewhat lighter but they're also obsolete at the same time. I don't think the weight of a gun should ever be a factor in what we purchase. If it fits, it's a good gun. Nothing else matters. I don't think light guns swing worth a hoot but neither do real heavy ones. Notice that with my Magnum A-5, a tad slow but can live with that. I carry it when shooting steel on Federal land.


The 28 is fun, effective, and I like it but, you guys are nuts if you think a lightweight trim little 20 is obsolete.

Back to the original post. 3” 28 ga is intriguing. While I agree it is already an over achiever, a tight choke and the added payload just might add enough reach to make it a little more mainstream. If that happens, one day we might see 28 ga ammo prices more in line with the 12 and 20.
Willie


I think a 20 is too big to be small and too small to be big.

As Dmog posted most folks end up shooting a 3 inch 11/4 oz load out of a 20 for the bigger birds which is a load that patterns WAY better out of a 12 gauge on average. Many folks think they have to go to a 20 to get a light shotgun when many 20s end up weighing as much or more than my 6lb auto 12s .

When I want to go sporty small gauge I use my 28s, if I want to kill birds with the least number of shells I use one of my 12s.

I never said the 20 was "obsolete" I stated why I don't find reason to use one.

I bought a Franchi AL-48 in 20. Never bonded with it. Used an LC Smith sxs quite a bit back in High School and had an 1100 20 for awhile. I never found a 20 doing anything as well as my 12s or my 28s.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby Willie T » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:45 am

AverageGuy wrote:
Willie T wrote:
orhunter wrote:Kent: I'm with you on the 12 vs 20. I do have a 20 and carried one time when hunting with Bruce Schwartz, fired maybe four shots. Safe queen. I know 20's are popular probably because they're somewhat lighter but they're also obsolete at the same time. I don't think the weight of a gun should ever be a factor in what we purchase. If it fits, it's a good gun. Nothing else matters. I don't think light guns swing worth a hoot but neither do real heavy ones. Notice that with my Magnum A-5, a tad slow but can live with that. I carry it when shooting steel on Federal land.


The 28 is fun, effective, and I like it but, you guys are nuts if you think a lightweight trim little 20 is obsolete.

Back to the original post. 3” 28 ga is intriguing. While I agree it is already an over achiever, a tight choke and the added payload just might add enough reach to make it a little more mainstream. If that happens, one day we might see 28 ga ammo prices more in line with the 12 and 20.
Willie


I think a 20 is too big to be small and too small to be big.

As Dmog posted most folks end up shooting a 3 inch 11/4 oz load out of a 20 for the bigger birds which is a load that patterns WAY better out of a 12 gauge on average. Many folks think they have to go to a 20 to get a light shotgun when many 20s end up weighing as much or more than my 6lb auto 12s .

When I want to go sporty small gauge I use my 28s, if I want to kill birds with the least number of shells I use one of my 12s.

I never said the 20 was "obsolete" I stated why I don't find reason to use one.

I bought a Franchi AL-48 in 20. Never bonded with it. Used an LC Smith sxs quite a bit back in High School and had an 1100 20 for awhile. I never found a 20 doing anything as well as my 12s or my 28s.


Nope. Most 28’s are built on a 20 ga frame. A scaled 20 ga frame of the same model is never as heavy as a 12 ga. The 20 is by far the most effective, most versatile, and most popular of the sub gauges. Loads from 3/4 ounce which is a standard 28 ga payload to 1 1/4 ounce which is a standard 12 guage load, the 20 fills the entire gap between 410 and 12 guage. Back to orhunter’s original post:
7/8 oz-1oz is the sweet spot for the 20. With a tight choke in the top barrel it is a 45-50 yard rooster gun in the right hands. A 3” shell in 28 guage may afford it legitimate 20 guage performance. Time will tell but right now the 28 is pigeon holed in the same niche as the 410.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 am

Willie: Agree with the pigeon hole but that's due to the number of folks who've never hunted with one. And yes, most 28's are built on 20 ga. frames but that keeps them from being thought of as a toy or a kids gun. The Browning O/U I ordered has 28 inch barrels, not a kid's gun. My Model 12 is on a 20 gauge frame and fits like an adult gun. I'm about 6'3" 190 lbs. I need a big gun with some weight. We all come in different sizes and levels of conditioning and the right gun for some won't work for others. A lot of shooters out there have guns that require them to get used to shooting because they don't fit. Any gun that requires the shooter to adjust their body in the slightest way is a gun that doesn't fit. Fit is a natural thing not something that is acquired. The guns that naturally fit me are A-5's and Model 12's. 11-87's aren't too bad.

Something people need to consider is the sub gauges shoot smaller patterns, not necessarily less dense. They teach a person to be a better shot by having to take a better look at the target. A little more aiming involved unlike the 12 with the humongous pattern.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: 3" 28 Gauge

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Nope,

Both of my 28s weigh 5lbs. You will hunt high and low to find a 20 that light.

In 23/4 inch shells the difference between a 28 and 20 is minuscule. Only when using 3 inch shell in a 20 does it do anything better than a 28 and then as you point out it is a 12 gauge load which of course the 12 does better. Hence why I own 28s and 12s and skip the 20 altogether.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron