Newbie WPG questions

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Newbie WPG questions

Postby HMR » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:21 pm

Hey guys, I’ve been browsing and searching this forum for a while. Finally got brave enough to post. I will be bringing a Griff pup home in a month give or take. Pup will be 8 weeks. I mainly want to bounce some idea off you guys and concerns I have in training.

First off pup will have wild bird contact pretty much right away. My husbands is a big game hunter and we camp pretty much every weekend Up in the mountains until it’s too cold to do so. Pup will be staying in the trailer while we hunt so he’s not around direct gunfire, but he will be hearing it in the distance... anyways, I think we will be focusing on finding wild birds, plenty of grouse here, and plenty of woods to adventure. Dos and don’ts of what to do in the bush while finding wild birds, much appreciated. Any advice really.

Now my main concern is the pup won’t have tons of contact with planted birds. Until probably the spring/summer. I will be joining navhda, I will be doing the NA test, and hopefully UT but the club is in a different province over 3 hours away and they train even farther away in the winter. So we will be training with them, but it sure won’t be weekly. What should I focus on in the meantime? I will be doing obedience training but I don’t want to over do it. Thanks fully I feel like I have lots of time between now and next hunting season. Mainly my end goal it to have a great hunting partner and family dog.

I think my main focus will be wild bird contact, exploring the woods as much as possible. Gun intro, slowly and when the time is right (I’ve successfully introduced the gun to My westie and boerboel so I’m trying not to stress out about that) am I missing anything? I do have a great mentor in the breeder, but I figured I should join in here. So much knowledge and experience in this forum. I plan on sticking around.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by HMR on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HMR
Pup
Pup

Re: Newbie GWP questions

Postby Sooty42 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

I think it sounds like you are on the right track. When they are a puppy it’s just about exposing them to everything (woods, car rides, people, kids, fields, water, etc.). The more they are exposed to these types of things, at as many different settings as possible, the better. Don’t push the swimming stuff though, just give them opportunity to explore in shallow water that is safe. Start off leash adventures in the woods at a young age, so they can start learning independence but still learning to check in with you.

I wouldn’t worry about limited exposure to planted birds. They will learn way more from the wild birds they encounter. When your pup finds birds in the woods, basically do nothing, let the birds teach him. He might not point them until he gets older, which is fine. He will probably chase them when they fly off, which most people say is ok for a puppy because it gets them excited about birds.

A good book that you might want consider reading before the puppy comes is, How to help gun dogs train themselves. It gives ideas and guidelines for exposing your pup to things. You don’t need to follow this book to a T, because every dog has its own pace for doing things, but it will give you good ideas on what you should be doing with your pup.

Congrats on getting a pup soon, Griff’s are great dogs! Post pictures when you get the little monster.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 pm

About all the help I'm good for:

GWP = German Wirehaired Pointer

WPG = Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HMR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 pm

jlw034 wrote:About all the help I'm good for:

GWP = German Wirehaired Pointer

WPG = Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Ha your completely right. Apparently I didn’t double check the title of the post when I proof read it.
HMR
Pup
Pup

Postby Highlander » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 am

There are good books you can start reading that would provide you with valuable suggestions such as training, introduction to the birds, understanding the behavior of the dog, do's and don'ts etc.
I am getting my first versatile pointing dog and was recommended to read Joan Bailey's How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves, Taking Advantage of Early Condtioned Learning.

This book is somewhat old but you will still find some good info. She is/was involved with NAVHDA too, so she has a good idea what a versatile pointing dog looks like.
I come from pointers and setters and I find this whole versatile thing similar to what I already have known about the pointing dogs, but on other other hand drastically different as well. So reading this book (and others, but mostly JGHV related books) is a quite good source of refreshing my knowledge and add more to it.

Good luck!
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm

All the pup's initial training should focus on obedience and cooperation stuff. Fetch is part of early training so you don't have to force fetch later. Hand signals is another early thing to work on when the pup is off leash, out in the open. The more off leash time the pup gets the better. It's the age of discovery so allow plenty of opportunity by giving your pup complete freedom to explore. It's your job to keep your pup safe during off leash time and that's about it.

Be aware our ugly dogs get bored easily with repetitive training. They need variety so 2 or 3 of something then move to something else.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Newbie WPG questions

Postby HMR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the priceless info.Two weeks cant come soon enough. I will be sure to post pictures for when she comes home and any questions I might have.

Thanks again.
HMR
Pup
Pup

Postby Densa44 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Leaving him in the trailer when you go hunting. This may be your biggest hurdle. He may chew everything that he can reach or bark constantly. You don't want either one. Try to think up a better solution. You might get some help here. I don't hunt big game so I'm out.

When is it "too cold" to camp. You need a winter in Canada, your dog will have no problems.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HMR » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Densa44 wrote:Leaving him in the trailer when you go hunting. This may be your biggest hurdle. He may chew everything that he can reach or bark constantly. You don't want either one. Try to think up a better solution. You might get some help here. I don't hunt big game so I'm out.

When is it "too cold" to camp. You need a winter in Canada, your dog will have no problems.

Hey Densa. We will see how It goes and will be keeping her in the kennel. I have two other dogs that will stay behind with her. If worse comes to worse I will stay behind while my husband goes hunting.

I guess being too cold wouldn’t be the issue, it would be snow. We tend to camp until the first big snow fall. We live in BC. Hoping the snow will stay away so we can have a solid fall.
HMR
Pup
Pup

Return to General Discussion