Fire

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Fire

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 am

Don't know if it's in the national news but Oregon is burning. You can't imagine the devastation. Some mountain town are destroyed and it's approaching large cities to the west along I-5. Widespread evacuations. A couple days ago the outside air was unbreathable at our house and we are at least 125 miles from the fire that caused it. Smoke so thick it blots out the sun. Someone compared it to the eclipse we had a few years back, that dark. Woods are shut down, no access anywhere for archery hunters and grousers. Mt. Jefferson Wilderness area is toast. Have spent many a day backpacking and fishing the high mountain lakes in there. Toast.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Fire

Postby JTracyII » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:30 am

Harvey,

Really sorry to hear that. A travesty for folks impacted. Hope your homestead is safe from the fire?
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am

Yes, it’s very bad. A couple very large fires and lots of small ones. The high winds and low humidity are wreaking havoc. It doesn’t even feel like hunting season yet, because there is no where to hunt. Hoping for the best for all the people in the paths of the fires. I donated to the local red cross today.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:24 pm

I was just looking at "live" satellite images the other day on ventusky.com, when checking winds for the teal push which lead to me playing around on the site. I noticed it looked like the whole western third of Oregon was burning, and was curious why i hadn't seen much about it. Looks like California is bad as well, but that's made more national news. No good because it's just getting started with fire season. I would rather deal with the tornado and storms than to have to worry about fire season. I envy the areas and mountains in the west, but those fire seasons are only getting worse.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 pm

Here's a video from the local outdoor website (ifish.net) that although fish related, gives everyone a taste of what's going on. ODFW was going to close down this hatchery but a big outcry from the public and efforts from NW Steelheaders and CCA, has kept it operating. Now it's gone. Could make a grown man cry. I see there's a lock on the video... Maybe you can see it, maybe not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOGDgT ... o8uYf0OiIi
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Terrible , hope they can get all the fires under control soon, maybe get some rain. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 pm

orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:51 am

Orhunter, hopefully y’all will get a weather change. I have been following the situation and y’all are included in my thoughts and prayers.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 am

Harvey, it is a real shame and I am sorry it is happening. Guessing die off due to pine beetles has created a huge fuel load of dead trees?

On the national news front, did anyone even hear about 14 million acres of crops destroyed and huge property damage happening in Iowa a few weeks back? 140MPH winds.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 am

California, Oregon, Washington- it's been a pretty big part of the national and even local news here the entire week, even last week. It'll take time, years, but the forests will regenerate but I really feel bad about the communities and lives. Stay safe.

AG, yes I heard about it a bit but I dont think I heard the full breadth of the 14 million acres part.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 pm

Yea, that wind was really something. Strange stuff going on.

Weather today is dead calm. There was a breeze out of the north for a while but it died. Sun is completely blocked out, not even a bright spot showing through the smoke. Looks like winter. Temp today is supposed to hit 93 but without sun, it may not get there. Looks like the worst is over as far as fires spreading rapidly but they won't be out for a long time. Supposed to cool off starting Monday, slight chance of rain but it won't be enough to affect the fires. Probably the best approach now, if it isn't spreading, let it burn. On the bright side, should improve the deer and elk habitat but without some prudent predator management, it may not have any effect on big game numbers which have sucked the past few years. Too many cats.

Still no wind @ 10:50. Air is really getting bad at the house.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:51 pm

That is such a shame, Harvey, my parents live near LaPine and were telling me about it. Just awful. My dad said three fires in the Paulina unit were known to be arson. Any word on the rest of the state? Breaks my heart about the Mt Jefferson Wilderness, I too have spent a lot of time up there grouse hunting, hiking, camping and fishing brookies and cutts in high mountain lakes.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Be aware. This is where the fire burned after it crossed forest boundary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi42MtEPC64

Air completely calm at the house today, smoke going nowhere. Maybe a half mile max visibility locally. No sun again today. Been outside spraying and other garden stuff, had to come in. Hack, hack....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Wow Harvey, that is gnarly. Hoping and crossing my fingers for a bunch of rain for you guys and that the fires end soon.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 pm

We are getting the smoke from the WA and OR fires yesterday and today. Really hoping that with a 60 degree high next weekend for our chukar opener that the smoke clears up. My dogs need to be run.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion