Moderator: Moderator Pack

AKC Pudelpointers?

Postby blue04 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:28 pm

blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: AKC Pudelpointers?

Postby JTracyII » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:09 am

A few years ago AKC was petitioned for AKC approval. They have been accepted into their program for one day being fully recognized, but as of now they have not been fully accepted. They cannot do shows or field trials (I believe), but can do Hunt tests. Before being fully recongnized there has to be 500 PP's registered, which of course most folks don't do for obvious reasons. Hopefully, we can keep that from happening.

North American Pudelpointer Society (NAPS) is a breed club anyone with a PP can join. You don't have to be a breeder to join. This was to give owners a place to go to be among folks of like mind who enjoy the breed. NAPS is opposed to AKC recognition, so hopefully those interested in the PP will go the route of NAPS instead some other AKC friendly breed club. The hope is that this will keep the PP out of the AKC dog shows a little longer.

By the way, NAPS has done some interesting discussion and had some very good articles on coat type, health, etc. Some folks in that group are putting out useful information.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:13 pm

JTracyII wrote:A few years ago AKC was petitioned for AKC approval. They have been accepted into their program for one day being fully recognized, but as of now they have not been fully accepted. They cannot do shows or field trials (I believe), but can do Hunt tests. Before being fully recognized there has to be 500 PP's registered, which of course most folks don't do for obvious reasons. Hopefully, we can keep that from happening.

North American Pudelpointer Society (NAPS) is a breed club anyone with a PP can join. You don't have to be a breeder to join. This was to give owners a place to go to be among folks of like mind who enjoy the breed. NAPS is opposed to AKC recognition, so hopefully those interested in the PP will go the route of NAPS instead some other AKC friendly breed club. The hope is that this will keep the PP out of the AKC dog shows a little longer.

Jack, they are not eligible for AKC retriever hunt tests https://www.akc.org/sports/retrievers/hunting-tests/eligibility/ at which I'm inclined to think they would excel if so trained. Don't know about running as a "demonstration breed" in pointer tests or trials as was done with Boykins years ago in spaniel hunt tests. The Boykin Spaniel Society, the true breed club, objected to AKC recognition as did I at the time, but it has since proven a boon to the breed's competitive capabilities and the show ring has contributed better breeding standards and health guarantees, though seldom does the bench and field twain meet. There's not really a breed split that so many fear with the sporting breeds over the year, but more a split of breed sensibilities to match the tenor of today's times - with a Boykin a little more likely to wear a bandana around its neck like the show Goldens than sit on a flooded Arkansas timber treestand. Different than the closely-self-governed breeding of PPs, I know, but almost up to the time Boykins went AKC, there was not even a breed rescue club and I had essentially started to think of Boykins as America's disposable gundog, so often did they turn up in shelters and face rehoming. Again, I know it's different with pudelpointers and how coveted they are, but another venue for showing their great stuff afield both as pointer and retriever tells me AKC recognition wouldn't be an absolute disaster.

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Interesting. I'm very familiar with the NAPPA, their stated goals, approach to breeding and testing, etc. I either know or have spoken to several of their breeders. I think a few of them are current or former members of this forum. My (now somewhat elderly) PP is from a NAPPA breeder.

Having said that, life happened and I've lost touch with all of the NAPPA folks over the past couple of years. I also haven't kept up with the political landscape here.

I don't see much overlap between NAPPA and NAPS in terms of the breeders listed (maybe none?). So I'm left asking, what's the difference? Are the two organizations working in the same direction or different directions?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:33 am

Crackered,

Thanks for the info. However, I do believe they can now do AKC hunt tests as I am pretty sure one has already earned the MH title. His name is Ripsnorter's Shoot and Miss, UT I, MH. I don't plan on doing them, personally, because I would have to register my dogs with AKC and it would nudge the breed in the direction of full recognition by increasing the number needed to do so. I am glad that the Boykin is doing pretty well despite AKC recognition. Good to hear. Not always the case as you know.

Blue,

I am a breeder listed on the NAPPA breeders list. Short answer is, there were some differences of opinion that developed and many of the breeders listed on the NAPS site were a part of the NAPPA not long ago. Good people and good dogs can be found in both groups. They both have almost identical breeding restrictions. However, as with anything in the dog world, do your homework before purchase no matter who you are dealing with and you'll usually be better off in the long run.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:04 am

There is also VPP-GNA, a JGHV (the German breeding and testing system) affiliated club, but they have not updated their website for two years. Maybe they are no longer around?
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:23 pm

The turncoat who petitioned AKC needs to be drawn and quartered
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion