Wire cutters

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Wire cutters

Postby Mosby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 pm

I am looking to buy a new pair of wire cutters to cut snare wire. I have never had a dog caught in snare wire but it does happen and I am hunting new areas, so I am going to carry a pair. I already carry a multi tool but I have read they don't cut snare wire well or at all.

Felco and Knipex are expensive but recommended in some of the research I have done.

What specific cutters are you guys carrying for snare wire?
Mosby
Pup
Pup

Re: Wire cutters

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am

I carry Channel Lock model 910 in my bird vest as we hunt several states where snares are legal. I tested them on some cable restraints that I own for coyotes and the tool cut through them instantly like hot butter.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mosby » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Averageguy,

Thanks! Getting something that I know will absolutely work is critical for me. Hopefully, I will never have to use them.
Mosby
Pup
Pup

Postby jlw034 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I carry Channel Lock model 910 in my bird vest as we hunt several states where snares are legal. I tested them on some cable restraints that I own for coyotes and the tool cut through them instantly like hot butter.

Think they would cut a 220 conibear?
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:28 pm

jlw034 wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:I carry Channel Lock model 910 in my bird vest as we hunt several states where snares are legal. I tested them on some cable restraints that I own for coyotes and the tool cut through them instantly like hot butter.

I own a 220 and have practiced using the zip ties method as well as a tool I bought for the specific purpose of getting a dog out, which was developed by a trapper.

I have not tried this cable cutter on the 220 but am skeptical.

My practice suggests a dog in a conibear is our worst nightmare. I am sure you have watched the videos of how to use the zip ties. The tool I bought works as advertised but the stronger you are the better and that is going downhill vs uphill for me.

I use some 330s for trapping beaver and have the long tongs trap setter for them. It would be the quickest way to get a dog out of any size conibear, but they are bulky to carry in a vest and I never have for that reason. I carry that tool I bought in the link below and some heavy duty zip ties and I carry the cable cutter in the photo, a muzzle and hemostats (porky quills or cactus needles).

https://www.southernsnares.com/products/trapper-rons
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mosby » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm

I am buying the cutters, some 36" zip ties and have been looking at the safety setter for the 330, assuming I can get the smaller traps open by hand or use a rope.

The only other thing I am going to test the cutters on is barbed wire. I am hoping they will work on that if needed.
Mosby
Pup
Pup

Postby jlw034 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
jlw034 wrote:

I own a 220 and have practiced using the zip ties method as well as a tool I bought for the specific purpose of getting a dog out, which was developed by a trapper.

I have not tried this cable cutter on the 220 but am skeptical.

My practice suggests a dog in a conibear is our worst nightmare. I am sure you have watched the videos of how to use the zip ties. The tool I bought works as advertised but the stronger you are the better and that is going downhill vs uphill for me.

I use some 330s for trapping beaver and have the long tongs trap setter for them. It would be the quickest way to get a dog out of any size conibear, but they are bulky to carry in a vest and I never have for that reason. I carry that tool I bought in the link below and some heavy duty zip ties and I carry the cable cutter in the photo, a muzzle and hemostats (porky quills or cactus needles).

https://www.southernsnares.com/products/trapper-rons

10 4

I carry 14 inch bolt cutters in the back of my wing works. Heavy, but I know they cut through 220s.

I've never tried them on cable, but I assume they will work.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 am

I suggest you try those bolt cutters out on some snare wire to be sure. Braided cable has all the individual strands which are hard to cut. The cable cutters are designed differently in order to work on cable. In my experiments there were tools I already owned that I could cut my snare wire with but they left some strands in tact and I had to work them back and forth to get them to break. My leatherman is an example of that. Their jaws did not cut all the strands. I think a bolt cutter may have the problem and suggest you check it out so you know. The cable cutters are instant because their jaws are engineered to be.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Excellent idea. I was living in an area of rural Alberta where anything could happen and I decided that I should be carrying a pair too. I went into my local Pevey mart (a general hardware store) that sold both pliers and snare wire. The very fine fellow who ran the store picked a good pair of wire cutters, Irvin I think off of the wall and we both walked over to the wire display and he asked me to cut a small amount off of each roll. A great sales tool because if I wasn't confident that they would work in my hands they were of no use.

I am still carrying them and haven't had to use them.

I wouldn't take her out with me without them.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Couple things to realize about snares. If the dog gets caught in a killer snare, he's dead, cutter or not. Snares like a Ramline. Most snares won't hurt a dog. The dog will just lay down like when on a leash. If you want to carry a cutter, get one recommended and sold by a trappers supply house like Minnesota Trapline Supply. Those guys make their own snares so need a cutter that works.

Don't waste your time carrying a bolt cutter for a 220 or 330. Zip ties or a rope are probably as fast. Your vest will wear 50# with all the crap everyone carries.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mosby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Couple things to realize about snares. If the dog gets caught in a killer snare, he's dead, cutter or not. Snares like a Ramline. Most snares won't hurt a dog. The dog will just lay down like when on a leash. If you want to carry a cutter, get one recommended and sold by a trappers supply house like Minnesota Trapline Supply. Those guys make their own snares so need a cutter that works.

Don't waste your time carrying a bolt cutter for a 220 or 330. Zip ties or a rope are probably as fast. Your vest will wear 50# with all the crap everyone carries.

Agreed. A dog caught in a Ramline is dead. I will need to take them home regardless. I watched some Trappers association videos on snares and traps and they recommended 24 inch zip ties w/ 175 lb strength to free a dog. I found them at Menard's. I bought the Channel locks wire cutters shown in this thread. It is the pliers brand I normally buy and I am comfortable they will work well but I will test them. Felco is probably more popular with trappers.

I also carry a thin leash that I can use in a pinch on a trap. Probably 16 oz all in but worth it if something goes sideways. I weigh all my hunting equipment, packs and what goes on my trips for elk and deer. I like to take the minimum but I have decided I owe it to my dogs to carry what I need to save their life.

Barbed wire is a more realistic threat to my dogs where I hunt but it is better to have it and not need it.
Mosby
Pup
Pup

Return to General Discussion