Meet Tess

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Meet Tess

Postby AverageGuy » Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 pm

20 weeks old yesterday.

We can walk up to any body of water now and do this. First time she had been here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSkz_j1wL7c

Been working on recall and we turned the corner today. Ditched the check cord. Things are going to get really fun now that I have some brakes on the race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPXSmrDK_c
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:57 pm

No more puppy paddle!

Love her go.

How's she doing in the house?
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon May 18, 2020 9:58 am

jlw034 wrote:No more puppy paddle!

Love her go.

I would say she is a work in progress. In all areas.

Has a decent off switch in the house in the evenings if she has had a good afternoon run. She lives in a kennel run beside Spud now as of a week ago, so is in the house in the evenings 2-3 hours, but outside or in training with me twice a day otherwise. Still in need of some more timely and convincing corrections to address sneaking dish towels off the counter and then off to the races, she will get up and trot around when she needs to pee but if you don't get her outside she will find a remote corner otherwise ...

She is a handful when you turn her loose in the field right now and gives me some heart in my throat moments regularly. She is very strong willed and has potential to be a really nice dog if I can develop and mold it correctly. She makes me evaluate my training plan and approach daily.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
jlw034 wrote:No more puppy paddle!

Love her go.

I would say she is a work in progress. In all areas.

Has a decent off switch in the house in the evenings if she has had a good afternoon run. She lives in a kennel run beside Spud now as of a week ago, so is in the house in the evenings 2-3 hours, but outside or in training with me twice a day otherwise. Still in need of some more timely and convincing corrections to address sneaking dish towels off the counter and then off to the races, she will get up and trot around when she needs to pee but if you don't get her outside she will find a remote corner otherwise ...

She is a handful when you turn her loose in the field right now and gives me some heart in my throat moments regularly. She is very strong willed and has potential to be a really nice dog if I can develop and mold it correctly. She makes me evaluate my training plan and approach daily.

Dog training is a bit like sculpting...know what to take out and what to leave in, is certainly an art form.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 pm

5 Months old. She is going to be a handful this Fall.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hink » Sat May 30, 2020 10:14 pm

If you don’t own a horse you better get one. Keep the videos coming.
Hink
Pup
Pup

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:23 am

I use ecollar tone for silent recall. Introduced it a couple of days ago. Going pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1xFX4KiBQ
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Tess is a blast to watch. Her coat is sure nice. Heavy ticking looks great.

How's the Spudster taking all this?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:52 am

Some Marking, Hunt Dead Persistence and Return to me conditioning work this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXk-LfcifsI

And some Down Command work this morning. Did some Whoa as well but did not bother to film it. I like a Down command alot. Very useful to address boiling over with excitement situations and for waterfowl and dove hunting as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopNgrlXxFQ

Been teaching her how to duck under the bottom wire of a fence. She hit our new fence around the horse pasture about a month ago while running full tilt looking at the sky chasing a bird. Cut the top of her head and made her leery of a fence until we started doing this work this week. Its a critical skill. Watched my buddy's GSP open up her back two opening days in a row as she charged through fences...

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:03 pm

orhunter wrote:Tess is a blast to watch. Her coat is sure nice. Heavy ticking looks great.

Spud loves to wrestle and play with her when I allow it. He is too tolerant of her and will not correct her in the field. I wish he would but so far he will not. That down command work I just posted is aimed at teaching Tess she has to settle down and be calm at times too. She finds Spud over the top EXCITING and I am letting her know I call the shots on when they can wrestle and when I say it is time to stop. Pat, Spud, Tess and I take some breaks and sit on the front porch and I make Tess lay down beside me when she would much rather be wrestling with Spud. Puppies are a process as you well know.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Has a decent off switch in the house in the evenings if she has had a good afternoon run. She lives in a kennel run beside Spud now as of a week ago, so is in the house in the evenings 2-3 hours, but outside or in training with me twice a day otherwise. Still in need of some more timely and convincing corrections to address sneaking dish towels off the counter and then off to the races, she will get up and trot around when she needs to pee but if you don't get her outside she will find a remote corner otherwise ...

Ahh, enjoy the dishtowel races. That's the fun stuff about dogs. I watched Kallie drag an an entire hamper of clothes from one end of the house to the other, funny stuff. No harm, no foul.

AverageGuy wrote:
orhunter wrote:Tess is a blast to watch. Her coat is sure nice. Heavy ticking looks great.

Spud loves to wrestle and play with her when I allow it. He is too tolerant of her and will not correct her in the field. I wish he would but so far he will not. That down command work I just posted is aimed at teaching Tess she has to settle down and be calm at times too. She finds Spud over the top EXCITING and I am letting her know I call the shots on when they can wrestle and when I say it is time to stop. Pat, Spud, Tess and I take some breaks and sit on the front porch and I make Tess lay down beside me when she would much rather be wrestling with Spud. Puppies are a process as you well know.

Funny, Gus is the same way, I wish he'd play a bit rouhger with her sometimes. Oh well, we've introduced her to enough other dogs that it's not a concern; they do put her in her place a bit sooner.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 am

First time on the dock last evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ebzqWZ9oVA
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Harvey, JONOV, Here is how they go at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xahYlpy6MCI
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Typical male. Let the ladies push 'em around. Fun to watch. Thanks.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Harvey, JONOV, Here is how they go at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xahYlpy6MCI

that was fun to watch,,,,makes me want to get another! But that's a year or two away
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion