Fishing

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Fishing

Postby LongHammer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Well it may not seem like it to you folks but it has warmed up and I have been invited Bass fishing. I bought a new rod and reel last summer that has not even seen a fish. Any clues on what artificial lures a guy should buy? It will be out of a bass boat in a deep Western Canyon resevior. I have not purchased a bass lure in close to 30 years. No such thing as a bad suggestion.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Fishing

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 am

Soft plastics are hard to beat fished alone or on the back of a jig. Spinner baits and crank baits when the fish are aggressive and you want to cover a lot of water fast trying to locate fish.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:25 am

I would ask the guy that you will be fishing with. I'm guessing if you are fishing a deep western reservoir you will be doing some sort of finesse fishing. So a spinning rod with lighter line and some baits like a drop-shot finesse worm, ned rig, senko or shakeyhead style jig head are all fairly common. But I would say the best avenue would be to ask the guy you will be riding with. Its more fun for both anglers if you're both on the same page.
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34 am

What they said.... Smallmouth or Largemouth? Don't forget some Crappie gear.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:00 pm

We have both small and large mouths. I didn't even think of crappie! I do love fish tacos! Usually if it won't bite a Kastmaster I don't catch it :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Think outside the box. Crappie are always on the menu. If I can't eat it, I'm not fishing for it. This excludes trout which are most always C/R. High lakes in the wilderness areas, Brook Trout are always on the menu too. Cutts are pretty good, Rainbows are sometimes best used as fertilizer.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 pm

We actually have trout. Even a native species! Brown, cuts, brook, rainbows, tiger and Apache. Streams and lakes at 10000 feet.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:43 am

Longhammer,

Do some research on fishing "Chironomids" in lakes. Its stillfishing smaller flies under a float. Chironomids make up the bulk of a lake trouts diet. Do a search on. "Brian Chen" on YouTube. If your fishing lakes for trout its killer.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:44 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Longhammer,

Do some research on fishing "Chironomids" in lakes. Its stillfishing smaller flies under a float. Chironomids make up the bulk of a lake trouts diet. Do a search on. "Brian Chen" on YouTube. If your fishing lakes for trout its killer.

Interesting my grandfather showed me to put on one of the clear bobber you can fill with water and twist the rubber core to grab your line. Then use a fly like a wool booger to drift behind it. You can pop the bobber now and again to simulate fish rising to hit it. Great way to shore fish and keep out of the crawdad layer.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Longhammer,

One more thing most of our trout are hatchery fish they even release a few monsters every year. Matching the hatch is buying flies that closely match the trout food pellets that all these fish were all raised on. :lol:
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Well guys it was a great day on the lake. Partly cloudy 70 degrees shorts sandals and t shirts. The beer was cold and If we would have caught 1 fish it would have only been better. It was too windy for the recommended weightless senkos. We tried jigging deep, drop shot worms, Texas worms, carolins rigs everything short of dynamite. Nada! Really fun and it was hilarious to see the look on my buddies face when I pulled lures and plastics out of my tackle box that were older than him by 5 years.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms