2019 is off and Running

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

2019 is off and Running

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

My Brother, Spud and I have been hunting this week. Hard to beat dove hunting to get a dog a bunch of live flier marks, hunt dead and retrieves and we did, hunting 4 days and then heading to IA yesterday for Teal. Took some photos.

A lot of doves have been shot around that tree.

Spud retrieving one of my Brother's birds to me.

He loves it when they fall in a pond.

Worn Out.

The cut Limestone buildings and fence posts always interest me.

My Brother and I drug my Jet Sled with a dozen decoys, 2 wingers, stools, guns, shells, waders, water, and a dog platform about a mile one way up a levy and across some tall rank marsh grass to this seemingly ideal Teal habitat yesterday afternoon in the 84 degree heat. Hunted til quitting time with multiple flocks of wood ducks, a pintail drake and a gadwall coming to our setup but no teal were seen. Was dark and a cloud of mosquitos by the time we got loaded up and headed for home. Casey's pizza on the 1.5 hour drive home in the dark. I was feeling my age this morning. Hopefully we will get some cooler weather and some teal before the season ends ...

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: 2019 is off and Running

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Beautiful photos , glad you had a good dove hunt, I am still at work until WED, then I can hunt some but got to clean up after the Hurricane, wife said we got a mess. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Nice AG. It’s good to have the dog and shotgun back in the field after a long break eh? I always enjoy dove hunting and most dogs really seem to enjoy the volume of work. Our teal season does not start for another week but we already have an abundance of blue wings. Seems they came early this year. They have been here for the past three weeks and continue to build.

Godspeed Drahthaar1108. Prayers up for you and your loved ones post Dorian.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 pm

You know, my first hunt ever was a dove hunt... and many after that. There ain't nothing like sitting under a roost tree with dove decoys on the opener chasing around dove over a pointing dog. Thanks for sharing, Kent.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:06 am

Forrest,

Prayers are with you all in the path of the Hurricane.

Willie T,

I envy you all at either ends of the waterfowl migrations. I absolutely love a private experience on a teal marsh with my dog, but they are not easy to come by in the middle of the flyway. Iowa sets their season way too early, Missouri's public marshes are crazy crowded and Cheyenne Bottoms in KS was unable to get cattail control work done this year due to crazy weather events. Might be a bust year on the teal season. I will look around a day or two next week. Pulled cards on my cameras yesterday while over seeding cereal rye in my clover plots and putting some grass carp in the ponds. There is reason for excitement on the Whitetails here on the farm and it opens the 15th.

Eric,

I am 61 and my Brother is 70. I have great memories of him driving us out to the edge of town and hunting doves going back 50 years now. When I was 14 I took a short ride on a motorcycle, a car pulled out in front of us and we then hit it broadside at 45 MPH. Two months in the hospital, 4 months on crutches, a lifetime of surgery and non-stop rehab since. That September found me hobbling along on crutches, my Brother carrying my A5 and getting me setup to hunt some doves.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

good stuff AG
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

AverageGuy wrote:I envy you all at either ends of the waterfowl migrations. I absolutely love a private experience on a teal marsh with my dog, but they are not easy to come by in the middle of the flyway. Iowa sets their season way too early, Missouri's public marshes are crazy crowded and Cheyenne Bottoms in KS was unable to get cattail control work done this year due to crazy weather events. Might be a bust year on the teal season.

Hopefully, you chased some Teal down to Cheyenne Bottoms. I think I will battle the cattails this weekend and see if I can not get shot and maybe shoot a few of the 15k Teal that are there now.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

Dmog, we have not hunted it yet this year but might squeeze it in next week before we head to SD. When we were on our dove hunting trip the teal season was not open yet. I am going tomorrow in Missouri but while the marsh habitat is excellent the teal numbers are nothing great at the moment. Good luck to you this weekend.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Good work AG and nice pics. Got a beautiful dog there.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am

Took an afternoon evening Teal hunt yesterday. I invited a Friend who I go back with 50 years. We have done alot of hunting together in the past but nothing recently. Some photos to share.

Our modest spread on yesterday's hunt. You can see the barrel of my A5 in the photo with a Patternmaster mid-range choke tube. Can't say enough good about my experience with Patternmaster chokes and that one in particular.

Tried a new Steel shot load in 6s. Patterned it before I hunted. Perfect 60/40 slightly high which I prefer so I can float the bird on the top of my barrel as I swing.

First retrieve of the hunt on a single GWT which decoyed right in.

Single BWT that decoyed right in.

Had a flock of about 12 BWT decoy right in and I killed 2 with one shot. Both fell in the tall rank Smartweed and here is Spud bringing out the first one.

The mosquitoes were horrible and poor Spud was covering his eyes during a long lull in the action.

We got 5 quality close range decoyed shooting opportunities on 4 singles and one small flock and had a ball.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:35 am

Sounds like a great day Kent! Worse ways of I can think of to spend an evening. I love that close up (4th picture down) of Spud on the retrieve coming at the camera in the water. Should probably be framed in your house somewhere or made into a painting.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks for all the photos, especially of Spud.

How did those No. 6 kill? Pattern sure looks good.

We don’t have a special early Teal season out here, general duck season only. They were always kind of iffy, most migrated south before the opener. With global warming, we get them hanging around all winter now. Blue Wing are kind of rare, don’t think I’ve ever shot one. Love shooting teal, find them extremely easy to hit. Don’t have time to think about the shot so no chance to screw up. Swing and bang.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Harvey I have only ever shot one TRUE tripe on ducks, on wigeon. However I have shot multiple Scotch triples on teal. Even once a flight of BWT, however that was in ND. They sure do fly close together. My dad regularly shoots BWT in Central Oregon on a certain lake.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms