Montana boondoggle

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:15 pm

So Earl and I drove out to North Central Montana this past weekend - hunted Sunday afternoon, Monday, and today - have 4 more days to go before I have to head home. Kind of a "busman's holiday" as I am hunting in the mornings / early afternoon and working in the afternoons/evenings.

Earl turned 9 months old on 8 September.

We have taken sharptails and dove so far. Seen a ton of whitetails and muleys. Earl has also decided he is a natural born shed dog.

earl.jpg

earl 2.jpg
earl 2.jpg (201.58 KiB) Viewed 586 times

we didn't find any huns or sharptails today but did point a ground feeding dove, and found some antlers - after I found the first ones, Earl just started bringing some to me

todays find.jpg

looking forward to the next few days
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Pup looks great JD. So does the prairie.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 pm

JD, Awesome I new I liked Earl when I met him. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am

sharptails and huns yesterday afternoon

looks like rain today,,,maybe get lucky we will see,,,,rain turns these roads to a mess
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:23 am

AverageGuy wrote:Pup looks great JD. So does the prairie.

Drahthaar1108 wrote:JD, Awesome I new I liked Earl when I met him. Forrest

thanks,,,and Earl says thanks!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:46 pm

New beginnings JD. First seasons with new pups are exciting times!
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm

rained pretty good last night so the roads were basically impassable until noonish (dried that gumbo),,,so headed out for an afternoon hunt

but that sun got hot fast,,,Earl was a champ but we only covered 5 1/2 miles,,,no birds but seen 6 mulies and 5 whitetails so we got some "don't chase the dang deer" training in,,,

tomorrow we shift down to the Southeast corner to explore a bit
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Love that country.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 pm

some sage we hunted the last day,,,pretty country,,,thanks for sharing it with me (willingly or not!!! :lol: )
Attachments
IMG_0175.jpg
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 am

JDPatrick
So what were your impression(s) regarding bird #'s. 5.5 miles of North Central MT following a dog and no birds? That distance should have provided at least far flushing sharpies/huns, even if nothing in the pup's mouth and/or your bird pouch.
And SE MT? Sharpy/Sage Grouse numbers encountered? Three years ago in that country you couldn't walk in any direction more than 15 minutes without hearing a group of Sharpies babbling.
The SE sage prairie pic exhibits the Sept green signs of the relatively wet summer we had. Looks like the sage grouse country of the far SE corner??
Give us an account.......
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 am

mtbirder - that last picture of sage country was still up in the north central part - between Malta and the Breaks

that day of 5 1/2 miles with no grouse was around the place I was staying - they were likely there, we just didn't find them. We got into birds most every day but 1.
14 sharp-tails and one hun between two shooters over 4 1/2 days. But keep in mind the rain kept us from hunting some portions of most of the days - but did keep it cooler in the afternoons. Never saw a sage hen till I was leaving, then seen a small group off of Hwy 2!

The trip to the Southeast was cut short to just a drive through to get a feel for the country - did hunt one BMA but it was close to a population center along the Yellowstone and had a lot of signs of heavy hunting - but we got to stretch our legs some

Fortunately for me, Earl and I learned a lot

Unfortunately for Montana - we WILL be back!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am

Traveling a long ways, exploring new country with a 9 month old pup. I would be thrilled with that amount of action.

Every day we get to follow our dogs in beautiful country in pursuit of wild birds is a Blessing.

Safe Travels.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:27 pm

J D Patrick wrote:mtbirder - that last picture of sage country was still up in the north central part - between Malta and the Breaks

that day of 5 1/2 miles with no grouse was around the place I was staying - they were likely there, we just didn't find them. We got into birds most every day but 1.
14 sharp-tails and one hun between two shooters over 4 1/2 days. But keep in mind the rain kept us from hunting some portions of most of the days - but did keep it cooler in the afternoons. Never saw a sage hen till I was leaving, then seen a small group off of Hwy 2!

The trip to the Southeast was cut short to just a drive through to get a feel for the country - did hunt one BMA but it was close to a population center along the Yellowstone and had a lot of signs of heavy hunting - but we got to stretch our legs some

Fortunately for me, Earl and I learned a lot

Unfortunately for Montana - we WILL be back!

Thanks for the report.
Roughly 1.5 sharpies/hunter(and good looking young wire hair)/day and one hun between 2 guys over 4.5 days sums it up nicely.
I have been out 5 times for Blue Grouse, all days spent in historically good producing habitat. Have seen 2 pairs, 3 single birds, and one brood.
Montana birds of all feathers are gonna' be slow to rebound if another harsh winter and cold wet spring is in store.

But yes, even with low/rebuilding bird populations, MT's still a good place....
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:06 pm

JD sounds like a perfect way to spend your time off. I would be more than happy with that and am a bit jealous I didn't end up going this year. Your harvest numbers sound about spot on with what last year's were in my experience. But most importantly, you and your dog had a great time and got some good experience in some new country.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms