Hope we never become this..........

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hope we never become this..........

Postby mtbirder » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:27 pm

ryanr, et al,
Man, as enthusiastic hunters and anglers, if we can't come on this form of entertainment known as the world wide web, and make fun of ourselves (as well as our colorful & enthusiastic hunting and angling brethren) -
then we maybe we take ourselves and the world wide web way too serious...........................................................
Sincerely,
Never Pastels
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby TSAMP » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 pm

"In my day we had to walk to school up hill both ways"...literally sums up this entire thread for me. Technology advances, Gears lighter, more breathable and functional now..buy it I doubt you will regret it. You can roof your house with a hammer but I'll bet most of us would prefer a nail gun.

Cheers,
TSAMP
Pup
Pup

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 pm

jlw034 wrote:I always love it when dudes criticize other dudes on what they're wearing. Who knew hunting and fishing fashion was so controversial.

Different strokes for different folks. They are buying licenses and lots of times supporting local shops.

Hunters and to a lesser extent anglers are a dying breed. We'd do best to embrace them instead of ostracizing them.

That camp photo is frustrating though. Just bad manners.

I totally get you are saying and can't speak for others but I am only poking fun at the Orvis/Patagonia/Simms-wearing fly fishermen.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:40 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:
jlw034 wrote:I always love it when dudes criticize other dudes on what they're wearing. Who knew hunting and fishing fashion was so controversial.

Different strokes for different folks. They are buying licenses and lots of times supporting local shops.

Hunters and to a lesser extent anglers are a dying breed. We'd do best to embrace them instead of ostracizing them.

That camp photo is frustrating though. Just bad manners.

I totally get you are saying and can't speak for others but I am only poking fun at the Orvis/Patagonia/Simms-wearing fly fishermen.

Exactly. And with fish bring able to discriminate between colors very well, they wear lime green. Or hot pink. This thread was never about quality equipment, it was always about "The a Spandex Crowd". I love the bikers as well. They can barely peddle a bike but there they are, three abrest, brain buckets, tight lime green or purple clothing, flourescent shoes and $6,000.00 bikes. Hilarious. And the fly fishermen are hot on their tails.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 am

orhunter wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I like nice stuff.. like beautiful wood that is found only on expensive firearms. Tasteful engraving is fine also but so much is way over the top and says more about the owner than the sport. Don’t want to be part of a fad that involves only the wealthy or those wanting to be seen as one. I can afford a Holland & Holland but you’ll never find one in my gun safe. Your dog should cost more than your shotgun and be twice as ugly.

Love this thread...great discussion and photos.

You can put your Holland & Holland in my safe Orhunter...as long as I can shoot it occasionally! I’m very partial to early American doubles (Lefever) but I was blown away the first (and only) time I mounted a bespoke British double gun. Would I spend $20k (used) on it, no. But it was worth every penny in that, like my ugly dogs, it was perfection in both form and function.

I think every activity has a tension between the “doers” and the “owners”. I will say however that those that like to “own” the best and latest gear probably end up feeding the industries that support the activities that guys like us like to “do”, more so than ourselves. Orvis, Patagonia and others sell expensive toys, but with their profits they also engage heavily in conservation, public land access and other efforts that benefit all of us who buy their wares sporadically at best.

They do look silly though, I agree. Better than skin cancer however although I suspect that gear cost a lot more than a tube of SPF 70! I would love to have a bespoke British double, but I would also fully expect to butt of some jokes in the field.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I don't mind the clothes - tastes vary

but that selfie,,,,overplayed selfies are just different to me - each their own I guess

and never did figure out that fishing rod eating thing - that's what armpits are for
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:35 pm

J D Patrick wrote:
and never did figure out that fishing rod eating thing - that's what armpits are for

Me either, but Rowdy insists on being a trend-setter.

Last edited by RowdyGSP on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TSAMP » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Now that is funny.
TSAMP
Pup
Pup

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 am

thanks for the morning chuckle Sir!!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtbirder » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 am

That's a "versatile dog".
My little one likes to fish too - well, actually likes to sleep on the carpeted deck in the sun when the bite is slow.......
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

The flamboyant dresser is nothing new:
Captain Samuel J Richardson, Texas 2nd Calvary, mounted rifles F company from the 1850’s pimping a pair of jaguar skin pants and matching holsters.
F43BAE28-5049-4A2B-A3C6-7E91E56FD933.jpeg

Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm

mtbirder, there ain't much better company than your bird dog when you are fishing. Rowdy like fishing and wants to inspect every fish I catch. Misty doesn't care as much and usually just runs around on the shore. She does get excited when I'm crappie fishing from the canoe with her.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Yup, different dogs -different strokes.
My old girl is still as intense in the boat as she is while on a covey of huns- no napping in the boat for her....
Note my brother's shirt and cap - NO PASTELS :-P
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Had the pleasure to fish with a Wirehair today. She’s a hoot. Doesn’t net salmon so well....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:26 pm

So you must have caught at least one salmon then, huh Harvey?
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion