Introducing pup to quail

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Introducing pup to quail

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Timoteov,

We could all type pages of stuff and it would not hold a candle to you purchasing and following that Perfect Start DVD I recommended.

It takes you through every comment posted here in much better detail than can be covered with short on line posts. It stresses not letting your pup catch birds, using lauchers, teaching Here, Whoa, introducing birds, gunfire, retrieving, heeling... The methods are demonstrated live on multiple puppies at different stages and temperaments. It would be invaluable to you and your pup to buy, study and follow it.

Gotta agree with AG, it would be a worthwhile investment for noth you and your pup.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Proposed this month so extra money is gone for the month. I will pick it up the first of September for sure.

Good or bad idk, but I got to see Kody point his first live birds tonight! It was amazing to see. Had my fiance hold him and let him look for a quail that was attached to a fishing pole. He rushed in the first three times, but on the fourth he locked up! I can't tell you how cool it was! Did it one more time to see if it was a fluke. Rushed once and then locked up and pointed. It's really cool to see this dude work!
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Timoteov wrote:Proposed this month so extra money is gone for the month. I will pick it up the first of September for sure.

News flash...It is a good idea to get all your toys before you go and do something like that! On a serious note, Congratulations! Even more seriously unless you saved for a couple months before hand, you should be saying your broke for 3 months not one month...getting you prepped for happy wife = happy life.

Is your pup sight pointing the quail or is it out of sight in the grass when the pup is pointing? It is awesome to see that pup point the first time and still amazing after the hundredth time. Your pup is progressing nicely and I would recommend to move away from any sight pointing(if that was the case) to scent pointing. Fun times ahead and good luck!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Timoteov » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Thank you! I might be optimistic about my finances. We'll see lol. I'll eat Ramen for a week if I have to.

He was most definitely sight pointing as he rushed in and had to learn that he couldn't do that.
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm

when you get ready for a remote control bird launcher or 2 or 3 look at lion country supply, there launcher are a lot cheaper in price than other name brand launchers.
I have 3 of them and pleased so far.
when your freezer is full of dead stuff like coons ,rabbits, ducks ,quail, blood, ECT , then you are training.
Get you a homing pigeon flock started, really good bird work for a pup or dog. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Timoteov wrote:Thank you! I might be optimistic about my finances. We'll see lol. I'll eat Ramen for a week if I have to.

He was most definitely sight pointing as he rushed in and had to learn that he couldn't do that.

If he could see it and pointed, that's a sight point. If he couldn't see it but pointed it, that's scent. Even if the bird is in cover and can't be seen a young dog may still rush in when it smells the bird.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:09 pm

ryanr wrote:
Timoteov wrote:Thank you! I might be optimistic about my finances. We'll see lol. I'll eat Ramen for a week if I have to.

If he could see it and pointed, that's a sight point. If he couldn't see it but pointed it, that's scent. Even if the bird is in cover and can't be seen a young dog may still rush in when it smells the bird.

Good to know. I might try it again and see. The quail I did it with died so I'm down to three. Guess that's why everyone reccomends pigeons, but they are exceptionally difficult to find in NW Oklahoma
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Keep a look out on craigs list for pigeons for sale.
You can use barn or city pigeons but they want come back home, but if you are shooting them it wont matter, you can catch them at night under bridges with a dip net or build a trap. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Tim, NW OKLA, you should have some wild birds (quail), that is what you want . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Training