Retriever Training

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Retriever Training

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:13 am

My Truck is parked just out of the photo on the left so there is no way to avoid going right past the weed patch as you move into the hay field to train.

Next time Spud is going to be on a sit command, while we get through the fence first, then Spud, then I am going to heel him past the weeds going towards the area of the field I intend to train in. That will be useful re-enforcement of well known OB and keep us out of trouble (at least in the weed patch, I am sure there are coons in every bit of cover surrounding that hay field..). It will still be some suction but a reasonable distance away and I will try to make it productive to our training when it happens.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:48 pm

I ran these two double marks yesterday morning.

This one on land had the go bird thrown from behind the round bale where he is running back from. The line required him to go through the tall cover in between which was something we needed to do. I am running the go birds to be more challenging and the memory bird to be pretty easy at the moment. The memory bird was thrown via a remote control winger set behind the round bale on the right of where he picks up the bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwiSzlLFU8

Ran the land first and then this water double mark. The go bird was tossed by the wife off that point she is standing on and I hand tossed an easy into the open and short memory bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKVrCiMhwg

So far I have been running the more challenging and longer mark as the go bird and it is the last bird thrown.

What level of performance/proficiency is needed before it becomes productive to make the last bird thrown the memory bird?

Second question, Anyone used Mike Lardy's DVD series? Is it worth the $150 price tag?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Sure wish I had a pond close by like that one. It looks perfect for this type of work. I'm jealous as hell!

So far it's been mostly field work in the park or soccer field for Sako and I but we just make the bst out of it. She has no problems with doubles, even triples using bumpers even if I walk fifty yards away from her to throw them out as far as I can before coming back and sending her. Having a helping hand like your wife sounds like a bonus, as well.

What command do you use? "Dead bird! Back!" or something else?

Do you do double blinds retrieves, as well? Once again, I'll do these with bumpers and you a pail set about a hundred yard away as a sight point for her to focus on when I send her.

You have a great dog, there!

Took this video early this summer of a double. Sako jumped the command a little too quickly on the second send but it was her first drill of the day so she was raring to go:

https://youtu.be/9IC_0DLTJ8M
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

fun videos!

AG: I pretty much always make the long bird the memory bird, launching it from a winger or thrown by another person and then throwing the go bird off the line. You're really testing memory of the marked bird and using the long bird as the go bird doesn't seem to make much sense. Spud is ready for that. I'm not saying it's not a good idea to mix it up and even do a lot of singles for marking. Many say that singles are the very best for marking work. I didn't do a lot of triples in training up to this point because the hunt test's at "seasoned" level are all doubles. Now that I'm running in the "finished" level I'm doing triples and the dog seems to mark them very well.

I have Lardy's DVD and like it but, frankly I don't spend much time looking at it. I did think it good as I remember. I also have several Hillman's and he's good as well but I think Lardy's moves a little faster which suits my taste.

I like your training grounds. The baled hay field is great, as is the pond. I will say that long water blinds wear dogs out pretty easily and I would say that you'll get more teaching in by doing shorter marks and more of them.

I'm jealous that your wife trains with you. Mine used to run our dogs all the time: here's a clip of her running my griff Ouzel in 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGa7__37adg I sure miss that dog!

Mastercaster: nice Griff! Post some more!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:fun videos!

Mastercaster: nice Griff! Post some more!

I'd like to make more training videos but I find that's it's hard to hold the camera and do the drill. Just so happened that my sister was with me and happened to use her cell phone to video it. I'd really like to have some actual hunting footage when we're water fowling but who wants to film the action when you can be shooting? LOL

That video of your wife working with the griff on the double mark almost seemed like it was in fast motion he/she was working so fast and efficiently,,,,the dog was really pumped up!
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm

mastercaster wrote:I'd like to make more training videos but I find that's it's hard to hold the camera and do the drill. Just so happened that my sister was with me and happened to use her cell phone to video it. I'd really like to have some actual hunting footage when we're water fowling but who wants to film the action when you can be shooting? LOL

That video of your wife working with the griff on the double mark almost seemed like it was in fast motion he/she was working so fast and efficiently,,,,the dog was really pumped up!

Intensity was her hallmark. My PP likes live birds but dummies not so much. The Griff loved all retrieving. Here she is in the muskeg making point on a planted bird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7vDF0 ... e=youtu.be

Ten years ago we were using video cameras; the cell phone is so much easier, but I agree it's hard to pass up a shot because you're making a video. Keep at it.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:38 pm

MC and Bruce, Thanks for posting your video links. MC looks like your pup is coming along well. Yes it is pretty easy to find that type of training water around here. Finding mowed technical water requires a couple of hours one way driving. And yes I would struggle without the Wife training with us. She has been key to all that I do for over 30 years and is one of my better decisions.

Bruce, Ouzel was a ripper! Reminds me of my Jack dog who was ate up for bumpers anytime, anyplace. I miss him too.

Heading for 96 today and 98 tomorrow. Wife, Spud and I got in a land double and a couple of water doubles this morning, and then 3 simple land blinds at 6am and it was already 80 degrees but we had 15mph winds already. Spud's lines were horrible in that wind as he purposefully swung downwind and then into the wind looking like an effective bird dog who has picked up alot of birds doing that.

I remarked to the Wife to that effect and she replied "Well we like Bird Dogs." I have been pushing this dog pretty hard towards some standards that do not really suit him. I think I am going to stop doing that and keep my focus on useful/practical hunting skills.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training