How much can we expect from our versatile dogs?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: How much can we expect from our versatile dogs?

Postby joecool7296 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:27 pm

I also think the DD might be on the bigger side for a decoy dog. The reason that I thought I'd give it a try is that coyotes in the east (where I live) are bigger than their western counterparts, which is where most decoying takes place. Also, a larger dog will likely not being intimidating when there is more than one coyote, or if they are sufficiently territorial (late winter, spring, early summer). Most folks send their dogs out when they hear or see the coyotes, so I guess you could decide if it was the right situation on a case by case basis.

I don't think a dog would make a great companion while bowhunting because of potential movement when deer are very close. Since I'm color blind, the dog will be used for every animal that doesn't drop in its tracks. There are certain scenarios that it would be helpful to just have the dog with me though, ie. if I traveled an hour to hunt somewhere and walked a mile into my spot... no reason to walk two extra miles, or drive 2 extra hours just to recover a heart shot deer... which is what I have to do now to get a friend/family member to track for me, as I don't wander around where I shot in hopes of stumbling upon it, because then I can muck up the blood trail for someone who can actually see it..
joecool7296
Started
Started

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm

AverageGuy - I get a kick out of the pictures of that small terrier every time I see them,,,I love those little dogs,,,,have had two and one day will have another
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 pm

What type of small terrier is that in the pic?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 am

JTracyII wrote:What type of small terrier is that in the pic?

Jack Russell if I recall correctly,,,
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Highlander » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am

What you have described suggests me you don’t need a versatile dog.
Versatile dog here means an upland bird dog that comes with extra benefits. Unlike British breeds.
SUV (DD, DK, PP) vs Sedan (EP, ES, IS).

What you need Sir, is Norwegian elkhound or Finish Spitz. If you are not familiar look them up.
These breeds have been used for thousands of years by the Scandinavians and Saami people to hunt the things you have listed. They have evolved in very similar geographical areas such as Canada, or US northern woodlands.

These breeds can, literally, hunt anything from big game such as moose and brown bears to the small game such as rabbits or squirrels. On top of this they are excellent bird hunters and retrievers too. Many of them very successfully hunt grouses, ducks and geese. However, they are not pointers. They will bark when they find a grouse or squirrel.

I am sure it will be hard to find them here in USA, but if you are willing to pay $1000 for a drathaar pup you may as well be looking into importing options.

Also, keep in mind that however tough and Arnold Schwarzeneggerish DD seems, which I am very high opinion of, they are still bird dogs and have limitations.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Terrific post Highlander! It's not good for anyone to purposely subject their dog to situations where it might get hurt.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion