Neat photos, a new chapter.

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Neat photos, a new chapter.

Postby ANick » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 pm

I was in to the vet for a photo op... of a sort ...a week or so ago. :)

Gotta admit, I definitely had an, 'oooooooooh', moment watching the monitor, little heart beat of those peanut sized blips, just thundering along! What a path to get here!

I thought early on, that if I had a prospect, I wouldn't rule out breeding. In the German system, that 'maybe' means you have to do everything as if you definitely were going to breed, just to have the option. Did that. And then, there's the question of age of the hundin for the first litter, so, 'fish or cut bait', came knocking. So, yeah, a pretty great set of photos.

More photos to add to the thread as things develop. :)

Nick

(all photos by myself)

Luke and Dot_resized.jpg
Levis v. Veybach and Iye v. Coraschatten
IMG_20190628_174006907_HDR.jpg
ultrasound
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Neat photos, a new chapter.

Postby Dmog » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:22 am

Congrats, I hope all goes well.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more of the pups.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 pm

Hope all goes well, can't wait to see the pups. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Beautiful dogs and exciting news! So is the Brown dog a DL? Is the SM the future DAM?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Beautiful dogs and exciting news! So is the Brown dog a DL? Is the SM the future DAM?

AG,
You dang near killed me with my coffee! :)
At least you didn't ask about the Springer. Granted, Dot hasn't had that trouble since she was a much younger pup, but I had considered getting a sweatshirt printed up.

They are both full blooded, Deutsch Langhaars, duly certified for breeding by the international DL organization, within the US under the DL-GNA. The hellschimmel coat colors that Dot is modelling look like standard SM coloring and without something for scale, you can mix them up. But, a SM parked next to Dot.. well, she hasn't been that size since around 7 or 8 months I think. :)

Levis (Luke) on the left, has the more predominate brown (braun) color for DLs. Iye (Dottie) has the double recessive 'light roan' (hellschimmel). Luke is 65 cm at the shoulder, Dot is right at 63 cm. The breed standard states the ideal for male is 63 - 66 cm, female 60 - 63, with a couple of cm either way for 'acceptable', so Luke is in the middle, Dot is on the tall end. They both earned top marks at the breed show for Type, Conformation and Coat (VVV), which isn't exactly a bad thing, but we'll have to wait a couple years to see how well that passes down. :)

The first link below will give you more on the DL 'colors'. The second is the homepage index for DL-GNA, for more information on the breed and organization, do feel free to explore. :) There's quite a bit of information packed in there. (Trust me, I'm glad to go on about 'em though.. )

https://www.dl-gna.org/about-dls/deutsc ... ar-colors/
https://www.dl-gna.org/

Another shot of the pair, a bit better for size comparison..
Dot and Luke_2.jpg
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 pm

I have been wrong for long time ANick as some where along the line I got the wrong impression that Dot was an SM. And of course a dog laying down in a photo really provides no scale, and there is the matter that I saw a SM breeder and NAVHDA Judge running her SM in a UT once. The dog weighed 70 lbs easy.

I read that LMs were nothing more than a DL in a color that was not allowed in the DLs? ...

Anyway, beautiful dogs. Look forward to following along with your upcoming litter.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:57 am

AverageGuy wrote:I have been wrong for long time ANick as some where along the line I got the wrong impression that Dot was an SM. And of course a dog laying down in a photo really provides no scale, and there is the matter that I saw a SM breeder and NAVHDA Judge running her SM in a UT once. The dog weighed 70 lbs easy.

I read that LMs were nothing more than a DL in a color that was not allowed in the DLs? ...

Anyway, beautiful dogs. Look forward to following along with your upcoming litter.

I'll probably have a couple of photos to toss up as this goes along, AG. Maybe even 3? :)

I suppose a male SM might go 70, but wow! You got me curious so did a little Google.
- FCI standard for size SM- SIZE: Height at withers: Dogs: 54 cm. (21.26 inches) Bitches: 52 cm. (20.47 inches) A deviation of +/- 2 cm is within the standard. (.78 inches)
https://www.smcna.org/Breed-Info/FCI-Standards
- AKC standard mentions the following notes, then refers to the FCI standard, Height: 20.5-21 inches Weight: 40-60 pounds
https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/small-mu ... r-pointer/

FWIW, DLs don't have a weight listed in the standard, however, comparing sizes listed in the Standards, which should work for the average in either, there's about a 10 cm difference in height at the shoulder for males and females respectively. Four inches is notable! Again, that's a comparison of standards. One of Dot's half-sisters has been seen quite a bit since she was 9 weeks old. She had a pretty early first heat and just made height at 58 cm. Fantastic pup though. Good stuff comes in variously sized packages. :)

In the 1870s, the first efforts of establishing the DL as a breed. The first efforts had more than one organization or group, as I recall from some source, circa '72. I think the black and white was accepted into at least one of those. However, when they got around to unifying the groups, one of the casualties were the Black and White DLs were listed as 'not accepted'. There are a couple of reasons that have been tossed up for that. Around 1879 the standard was set for the DLs. It would be not until the early 1900s that the LM formed their own group. The argument could be made that they were once DLs, but at least it can be said that they originated from very similar stock that were under consideration as DLs.

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:04 am

Oh yea, that SM was way out of standard. My point is size is not always what it should be. You can find 55lb and 110lbs in the DDs ...

Those who own some of our Vdog breeds will be very firm in their distinctions but the reality is they are all cousins to a large degree.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Oh yea, that SM was way out of standard. My point is size is not always what it should be. You can find 55lb and 110lbs in the DDs ...

Those who own some of our Vdog breeds will be very firm in their distinctions but the reality is they are all cousins to a large degree.

By function if not else!

Continuing the 'similarities of breeds', if one was to look at the spaniels of France and compare that to the form of the DLs and both Munsterlanders, you cannot help but think that there is some common ancestoral lines, who knows how far back?
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:00 am

Well, I took Dot in to the vet for x-rays for a head count. I'd been telling Dot that 6 would be a nice sized litter for her first time up, no point in overdoing it. Right? When we were in for the ultrasound, we found 4 or 5 but were pretty sure one was a double. The vet said it was pretty normal to miss some with the ultrasound, they are pretty tiny then. So, 6 or 7... sounded plausible.

But just to confirm and see how many there would be for the 'list' to cover, we did the x-ray.

So, with two weeks to go, here's the see-through.

Nickelson-Dottie__2019-07-23_Dottie Abdominal X-Ray_REDUCED ADJUSTED AND CROPPED.jpg
Iye vom Coraschatten pup count x-ray

She's carrying them easily, not doing too badly on the 'ice cream and pickels' routine, and showing some nesting behaivior. :) She got into a paper sack of pup toys from ages ago and has been packing those around to various of her favorite lounging spots.

See how you do on the count, the vet was seeing 9 here, after several recounts. :)

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 pm

How exciting. Best of luck!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:09 pm

This morning marks the first morning for Dot's get!!

We have 6 male, 4 female pups, all are Braun/Weißer Brustfleck, or brown with white chest patch (and a couple white toes for flavor) !!

All ten and Dot are doing nicely. Herself is taking to the role of momma like she read the book. Glad for a moment to go outside for a piddle and stretch, but keeping it short. Food and water are pit stop fashion and she's back to the younglings. I kinda thought she'd take to the role well, and .. well, she's definitely got this.

The one technical difficulty that popped up was with the kitchen scales. We finally figured out that they were sticking if the pups weren't centered just so in the pan. So we have some initial weights that are suspect up to that point. There are a couple that are visibly larger (males) but overall pretty even on size. We'll upgrade for the next weigh in. They already look quite a bit bigger.

For the US breed group, this will make 73 pups, I think it is, for the breed year, which is a significant increase over the prior record of 45 or so. Breeding requirements are, I believe, the tightest of the continental breeds, which does keep the numbers down, but virtually wipes the odds for a puppy mill. Something I've always liked about the German breeding programs.

Okay, enough rambling... I know you guys want the pics.. :)

Nick

_A-litter Aug. 3 - 19-DSC_2096.jpg
Whelp day!!
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dmog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Congrats, nice looking momma and pups!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Congratulations ,beautiful family. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Your Photos