Alaska for an Upland Hunter

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Alaska for an Upland Hunter

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Duckdon, Yeah I hear you on the transportation expenses. It's something I have to really do some research on and make sure I can afford. Makes getting a decent job critical. Got a job offer already in Glennallen but at $25/hour to work 7 or 8 months out of the year I'd have to see if I could swing that. The upside is that my potential employer would put me up in his late-mother's house during the working season. 60+ hours per week at least 5 months out of the year then it slows down a bit and he switches to some inside work with periodic work during the winter if I want it. Gonna have to crunch some numbers but also looking at other job opportunities there. Like up on the slope, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off if I could get into that industry. Lots of research to do here in the next year or so and time to put out some resumes. I am single as the gal I've been dating for the last year or so and I decided it's best to take a break. She is a longline helicopter pilot fighting wildfires and is gone now from April through October. We're still real good friends but since I really have nothing tying me down to Idaho (other than the fact that I really, really do love the mountains of Idaho), I figure if I don't make the move now while I'm 31 and single, if I found someone and ended up settling down, I may never make the move. And I don't want to look back in 20 or 30 years and regret at least not giving Alaska a shot.

Bruce, those are some phenomenal shots. My buddy up near Fairbanks has said the season on waterfowl (in the interior anyway) is fast and furious, meaning it's short due to weather, but that the getting is good while it lasts. He flies south a lot too for eider and harleys. Great pics. Awesome country.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion