Dog lift harness/sling

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog lift harness/sling

Postby Sooty42 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 am

Does anyone carry a dog lift harness or sling with them when hunting to carry a dog out if it’s injured? Any recommendations on brands? Do they fold up relatively small to fit in a day pack? They were mentioned in a podcast, so I’m trying to get more if to find out if I need to carry one or if it’s even practical.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Dog lift harness/sling

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:44 am

Don't carry one (didn't know they existed) and have never needed one. I would just pick the dog up and head for the vehicle. I've seen a dog bite its owner due to the pain of getting caught in a leghold trap. It's probably a good idea to muzzle the dog in such situations, just in case. A belt makes a good makeshift muzzle.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I can't see one being effective for carrying the dog for any notable distance, especially in the field. I've seen a dozen or so designs and they're all fine for their purpose. My dog is 70+ pounds and if he's hurt I can pick him up like a toddler or a baby lamb and carry him that way.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Never had to carry a dog out and hope I don't have too but I could always tie my gun to my pack and fireman's carry the dog out.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 pm

No, haven't ever herd of one. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:57 pm

For a hunter, I think they're a rip off. If you have a strong vest like a WWII just put him in the back. Imhavent tried this, but I think you could put the vest on backwards and carry dog like that as well.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 am

Sooty, I think you’d enjoy #58 Field First Aid and Being Prepared with Dr. Dustin Babler on Project Upland.

Around the thirty one minute mark, he gives a high energy supplement or honey as his #1 in a field first aid kit.

I once saw a dog get carted out of the field with hypoglycemia. It would have been easier to squirt a couple packages of honey on his lips and let him walk out on his own.
Libertyrocks
Started
Started

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Libertyrocks wrote:Sooty, I think you’d enjoy #58 Field First Aid and Being Prepared with Dr. Dustin Babler on Project Upland.

Around the thirty one minute mark, he gives a high energy supplement or honey as his #1 in a field first aid kit.

I once saw a dog get carted out of the field with hypoglycemia. It would have been easier to squirt a couple packages of honey on his lips and let him walk out on his own.

One and only time Rowdy went hypoglycemic was when I was guiding on a preserve in heavy brush in early September. I had Tygh too at the time who was epileptic but under control with meds. Rowdy had hunted about 4 hours with a couple dozen points and 30+ retrieves in the heavy cover. Last retrieve of the day his body wore out and he went hypoglycemic on me. Scariest thing I've ever seen including dog epilepsy. I thought Rowdy was having a seizure as well until the head guide told me what it was. Says every dog that hunts that patch of cover for that long that time of year gets that way at least once. I started giving corn syrup or honey before hard hunts like that. A guided preserve hunt normally isn't hard for us hunters, but when your dog is doing that much work we forget how hard they are working. The pile of birds Rowdy alone produced in 80+ degree weather was 37 plus what the other dogs found. I quit guiding and went back to wild birds after that. No issues since then.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:24 am

Hunting dogs over 50 years and have not needed one to date. Maybe I am just lucky.
Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion