What to do when bird season is over?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What to do when bird season is over?

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Run the trapline of course. From early October to end of March. It's like having a full time job but without the profit, especially since I started trapping coyotes and wolves. Caught a couple yotes. Just recently got certified to start targeting the wolves. They are challenging and take up a large chunk of your free time to run a line on. Catching some water critters is always a blast as well.

You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: What to do when bird season is over?

Postby mtbirder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:48 am

Well, one can always keep the dogs going....
Or get ready for the Salmonfly hatch on the Yellowstone.....
or go to a sportsmens' rally at legislature, telling politicians to keep their moron ideas to themselves.....
Or watch 100000 snow geese on their spring migration.......
Or follow some friends around the mountains.......
Or...............
:D
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 am

Those are all good things too! Great pictures MT. The waves of migrating snows are impressive. Seen a good wave or two in NoDak.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am

Nice Fur Rowdy! That fur out Otter looks large! Can't wait to see the Wolf.

We are doing all sorts of glamorous stuff here. Raking gravel out of the yard from 3 months of plowing snow, seeded 400 lbs of clover seed in the clover plots and CRP yesterday, serviced the Ranger, JD Tractor, Snowblower, ZTR Mower, took the snow plow off the tractor, hooked up the brush cutter and mowed down the corn stalks to get ready for strutting gobblers and planting beans after that.

Have started putting on my insulated hoodie and drinking my pre dawn coffee on the porch listening for Gobblers.

Spud and I have made a couple of walks looking for sheds, made a few post season wild bird surveys, doing some marking retrieve drills, a couple of sessions of blind retrieve handling, got some blood thawing the frig now to run some blood tracks next week, and we are revisiting some steady to WSF training after letting him break to falling birds for the past 5 months of hunting. This is from this morning. Went pretty well.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Mtbirder: Spent a day at the state capitol last week some PR also. Most dysfunctional morons on the planet. Don't know anything, want to control everything.

Went springer fishing today. No dice. Water too cold, won't bite.

Did some shooting earlier in the week. Fire formed 50 .338-'06AI cases and ran a dozen bullets through the .35 Whelen.

Looked into applying for Pronghorn tags in MT and WY.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:27 pm

orhunter wrote:Mtbirder: Spent a day at the state capitol last week some PR also. Most dysfunctional morons on the planet. Don't know anything, want to control everything.

Went springer fishing today. No dice. Water too cold, won't bite.

Did some shooting earlier in the week. Fire formed 50 .338-'06AI cases and ran a dozen bullets through the .35 Whelen.

Looked into applying for Pronghorn tags in MT and WY.

Thanks for showing up for your fellow sportsman, orhunter. It can be a discouraging, lonely, and maddening effort. Often times, the only reward is the knowing that you stepped up.
We are lucky enough to have the legacy of many before us who worked hard to provide the birds, the ground, the access, the management, and the opportunity it takes to allow us to enjoy the North American Model of Wildlife Management. As bird hunters, we all benefit from from those efforts.
If it ain't bird season (or if it is for that matter), here's one suggestion to occupy time. One can always be involved in the political, conservation, promotion, etc. side of what we all do.
Those that do get my deepest respect. Those that don't, well..............
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:29 am

AG, yeah the otter that's fur out is tanned. It measured an XL and the one next to it was just shy of being an XL as well. Those two had been around for a while. The other one that's skin out is dried, ready to ship to the tannery. I'm just tanning all the otters I catch. Not gonna sell a river otter for $20 in this downed market, as much work as they are to catch and put up. Looks like you and Spud have found great ways to enjoy the offseason. Your post just made a light switch go off in this thing I call a brain of mine and I realized you are from Wild Bird Hunters. I am Eric Wieland on there and in real life.
Last edited by RowdyGSP on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 am

Harvey, glad you're getting out for some fishing. If you want to hit up Brownlee this year let me know I would meet you down there. Good luck on your pronghorn tags. I think I still have 7 or 8 preference points in Oregon for them. Not even close to being able to draw.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 am

MTbirder: Most of the stuff we're dealing with here in Orygun is related to fishing. The PNW has a huge problem with sea lions, cormorants, turns, and the evil gill netters taking all the salmon and steelhead that sportsman's dollars have provided. There are some hunting issues also be they seem minor in comparison. Our big game populations are in the toilet from the introduction of wolves, banning the use of dogs to hunt the big cats and bears plus being illegal to use bait to hunt bears. This is what happens when the general public and misguided politicians get involved with wildlife management. We shouldn't be needing to fight an uphill battle with every step we take. Another huge problem is our fish and wildlife department does not operate on it's own but at the discretion of the "commission" and ultimately our lame governor.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:51 am

Eric: Hardly a day goes by I don't think about Brownlee. The water and ultimately the Crappie are not predicted to cooperate. There are always some present but big numbers aren't in the cards. They will be scattered and deep is the word on the street. But, perch and Bluegills should cooperate in big numbers and good size fish. I want to hit Phillips Res. for perch also. It was good last year and they'll be a bit bigger this year. I'll let you know if I can put this together. I'm married.....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Harvey, yeah that makes sense. I haven't fished Brownlee in 5 years but the last time I caught a mess of smallies, crappie, perch and even a rainbow. Biggest crappie and smallie I've ever caught. 21" and 15" respectively. Let me know on fishing. I understand about being married. If I were married, doubtful I'd be doing all these long trips, running a medium-sized trapline and bird hunting every weekend of the season. It likely would be frowned upon by my wife. The chick I've been dating is super cool with me doing all that stuff... for now.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 pm

I try to time a big game hunt.
This past December I was in Texas for a desert mountain goat hunt.

I most definitely clean the guns thoroughly.
Look at possibly new chaps or boots ,,, and start some kind of plan on training the dog(s)
typical winter I am fishing through the ice , but snow conditions were bad for it this year.
We had about 4' of snow on the ground , and it's been a real issue.
I have a VJP test coming up in about 2 or so weeks.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Eric, I have thought for some time that a small scale trapper would do better to sell tanned hides vs give the green hides away for nothing in a fur market that is probably not going return. I think there is a niche market for persons who appreciate the beauty of a well handled tanned fur hide.

Harvey, have you considered going antelope hunting with archery tackle? Lots easier to get a tag and then into the field hunting vs waiting for years on a rifle tag.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Kent: I love archery but I'm simply gathering meat this year, could hardly call it hunting. I don't know if sitting in a blind at a water hole is something I want to do either? Blind hunting for big game in Orygun isn't common like other parts of N. America. Some guys will water hole sit for elk if it's the right location. Our Blacktail deer where I live are much different from the Whitetails you're familiar with. Blacktail movement is extremely random and completely unpredictable. They are pretty much nocturnal after their antlers stop growing in July so to see a buck out moving around in daylight is more of a chance encounter. The conditions have to be just right and it has to be the right time of year. Blacktail prefer stormy weather. Our general archery season is when deer are most difficult to hunt and the general rifle season isn't much better. The rut is around November 13th, give or take a couple days either way with no open seasons. There is a post rut archery season where stand hunting can be effective. Bucks can be pretty active during this time when they're out running around looking for the remaining 10% of does that weren't bred during the rut. The Blacktail rut is around 48 hours long when 90% of the breeding is done. A fun day to be in the woods is the day before it starts.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg moyer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm

This is what we do for a little R&R after bird hunting for five straight months.
IMG_20190316_132357 (4).jpg
IMG_20190316_132357 (4).jpg (161 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
greg moyer
Seasoned
Seasoned

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms