Cabelas -- Another New Low

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cabelas -- Another New Low

Postby Doc E » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 am

http://thehuntingnews.com/cabelas-banni ... pro-staff/

you can buy kid’s bikes and licorice now at Cabelas.
Remember America’s outfitters?
Why would they worry about offending people who wouldn't shop there anyway ?

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Cabelas -- Another New Low

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 am

They've sold candy and toys for many, many, years. Not sure how kid's bikes quite fits into that.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Flyingm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 am

I got all my bikes the old fashioned way.... they were hand me downs 8)
Proud to be a Rakkasan!
Flyingm
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Huh...? I woulda guessed you stole them? That's kinda like a hand me down.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:16 pm

I saw that and was disappointed. Expect they may still be in some early merger shakeout of Vendor contract re-negotiations but their online inventory has been the pits ever since the merger moved forward. Particularly in the area of clothing which is why I bought my new bird hunting pants and shirt from Orvis.

My Wife and I have purchased everything possible and paid all our bills using Cabelas Visa Cards for years. Pay them off every month, no annual fee, no interest charges - completely $0 cost to me. I have built up points and cashed them in on Firearms and Ecollars for a long time doing it.

But I will have to move on if this is the new Corporate Face of Cabelas. MidwayUSA and Rogers Sportings Goods meet alot of my online shopping needs particularly for Ammo. I can buy my Firearms elsewhere and have more recently anyway as the Prices at Cabelas for guns they do not stock are not good at all.

I vote all the time with my Money as well as my Vote so if this continues, I am done with Cabelas.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm

One of the things that I always loved about Cabelas was the quality of their Cabelas branded gear. The BassPro RedHead branded gear has (in my opinion) taken a real downturn over the last 15 years in terms of quality. It used to be pretty good, but hasn't been up to the same quality standards as the Cabelas gear for a long time.

I was in a Cabelas a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to see that the bulk of their Cabelas branded clothing has been replaced with RedHead gear from BassPro. It's exactly what I feared would happen post-merger.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:33 pm

I have two Cabelas within 30 minutes, and I can't remember the last time I stopped in.

I'm try to buy direct now. My wife is in the Intellectual Property business, and the amount of fake stuff peddled by big stores is amazing. Electronics especially.

Other than that, Reeds is good for guns, Rogers is good for gear.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:44 pm

I've got one 20 minutes away if traffic cooperates. I usually come out with exactly what I went in with. Mostly entertainment when I'm driving by for some other reason.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

blue04 wrote:One of the things that I always loved about Cabelas was the quality of their Cabelas branded gear. The BassPro RedHead branded gear has (in my opinion) taken a real downturn over the last 15 years in terms of quality. It used to be pretty good, but hasn't been up to the same quality standards as the Cabelas gear for a long time.

I was in a Cabelas a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to see that the bulk of their Cabelas branded clothing has been replaced with RedHead gear from BassPro. It's exactly what I feared would happen post-merger.

The RedHead gear didn't take a downturn - it was always no good.

It will be very unfortunate if the Cabela's gear gets shelved.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 pm

slistoe wrote:The RedHead gear didn't take a downturn - it was always no good.

I'll agree that the Cabelas gear has always been better quality in general. I've got a nearly 20 year old RedHead bird vest that has served me well and is still in service. I've also got a few other older RedHead items that were made to last, but none of them are even made any more as far as I can tell.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Cabela's went downhill long before a merger with Bass Pro. And regarding the gear, it's pretty much the same crap made overseas and they just slap whatever brand on it. The overseas factories churn out many of the same products from the same materials and each retailer then puts their own brand on it.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spindog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:31 pm

They are nothing special anymore. Used to be better quality. Prices seem to have gone up in the last few years. Not a fan anymore.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am

ryanr wrote:Cabela's went downhill long before a merger with Bass Pro. And regarding the gear, it's pretty much the same crap made overseas and they just slap whatever brand on it. The overseas factories churn out many of the same products from the same materials and each retailer then puts their own brand on it.

Sitka is made in China too, mostly.

Cabelas has generally been a notch better than Redhead IME. Which isn't to say that I'll dismiss redhead for some stuff.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 am

I have a pair of Cabelas' Dry Plus upland hunting pants that have held up to 20 years of use. 3 Pairs of Cabelas MT 50 Rain gear in different camo patterns that have provided excellent service for 10-15 years. The price on Sitka gear has dropped but for a long time Cabelas MT 50 was a far better value.

Cabelas Hunting gear has always been head and shoulders over Bass Pro, with Cabela's going for the high quality market segment and Bass Pro for the low price segment. Bass Pro lead the way in Fishing gear for alot of years but Cabelas caught up to them on that and I saw no difference between the two in that area, pre-merger.

But those garments are not currently available which I guess is due to the merger. What the longer range plan is I don't know, but meanwhile I have been spending my money elsewhere. The Orvis and Schnees gear I am wearing as I head out on todays hunt is top notch so life goes on.

I have seen some followup on the "don't post your African hunting trip photos email scandal". Looks real to me. Corporations struggling with their Brand identity is common particularly during a merger. Some make mistakes they never recover from. Herters, Gander Mountain come to mind. I have not bought any gear from Eddie Bauer in years, nor LL Bean.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Speaking of Cabelas, their in-store gun "library" used a be a place to go and see high quality guns, and usually at least a few that are hard to find. I'm sure it varies from store to store, but my local store's gun room is now full of low-end stuff you can find anywhere.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion