Woodcock Season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Woodcock Season

Postby Willie T » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:41 pm

FC, in my experience, hunting pressure will relocate the Woodcock. If y'all are getting all the rain we have been getting, that may play into it as well. At times they relocate to a different soil type, in response to soil moisture. To that point, my son and I hunted an area today that usually holds very few birds, unless it is extremely wet. We did so in response to the prodigious rainfall we have had the last few days. We both shot quick limits over Crickets points. I hope you get the pics going. As a fellow Woodcock hunter I look forward to seeing them. I almost posted a few pics from today but did not want to hijack your thread.

Click upload attatchment

Then click on choose file

You should get a drop down: I upload from a cell phone so I select "photo library"

Select the photo, it will show up in the space to the right of the "choose file" button and left of "add the file"

Select add file

Scroll down and between the text you have typed and the "upload attatchment" you should see your picture listed. It will appear something like: IMG_1234.JPG
Directly beneath it you should see the two buttons
"Place inline" and "delete file"

Put your cursor where you want the picture to appear in your text and select "place inline".

Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 pm

WillieT: Yes, things were pretty soggy already, and it's raining now. Last year, we hunted a spot on my son's lease, flushed lots of birds and took two limits almost every day. Grandson also hunted with us a time or two. Didn't start hunting until the other lease holders were finished deer hunting, and as I recall, hunted that spot about 8-10 times before the season ended. IIRC, we bagged 32 birds from what I would estimate was 20 acres or less. We were still finding lots of birds when the season ended.

Feel free to post your woodcock hunting pictures here; I don't mind.

I don't get a "place inline" prompt on my computer screen after I select and upload the picture. I'll see if Christie can help.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 pm

https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-lanyard-carabiner.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=GARMIN-LANYARD-CARABINER&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9K6HvofJ3wIVA9bACh32oQgOEAQYBSABEgLIVfD_BwE
FC, I use an Astro 430. Here is a link to a good solution to keeping your hand held where you need it and you hands free. I will post a pic of me wearing the 430 today. I'm the old guy. I use the carabiner lanyard to attatch the hand held to a belt loop. The other one is my son with Cricket sitting next to both our limits. I don't take many pics and my photography skills are woeful. I did manage to take a couple when we were almost back to the truck.
Click on each photo for full image
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG (199.28 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG (197.11 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:44 am

I've got the Astro 430 too. Thanks for the link, but I already came up with something. Put a sturdy key ring through the lanyard slot and then clipped to a lanyard that goes around my neck.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:23 pm

After you choose file and add the file you should have a screen that looks like this (at least I do). When you select place inline the photo string is added to your post.
place inline.JPG

DSC_4572_crop_IA (Small).jpg
DSC_4572_crop_IA (Small).jpg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Yeah, I'm not getting that screen. Probably operator error on my part.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Well, finally figured out why I couldn't post pics - all of my pictures exceed the 1mb size limit. :(

Hunted three and a half hours today. Flooding had pushed them to slightly higher ground. Son took three and two for me. Even with a cylinder bore, steel shot doesn't open up much at the range we get shots. One of the birds was missing part of its head.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 pm

FC, you will need to resize your pics. Are they on an IPhone?
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 am

The pictures are on my computer. I'll have to research how to resize them as I've never done it.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Going to try remote hosting for the pics; they're way too large to fit otherwise. These are from early in the season. Haven't been carrying the camera recently. My son usually gets his limit and due to a variety of factors, none of which are my fault or reflect badly on my shooting ability, I often wind up with just one or two. :oops: Wasn't sure I had hit the one I got today until I saw some extremely small bits of feathers drifting down. The bird disappeared behind a big pine tree just as I shot and went into some extremely dense cover. Fortunately, the dog found it.

Don't know if these will show up in order, but there are some shots of the dog(s) in thick cover, then closer up. Gives an idea of what we are hunting in. The pic of the guy moving in is my son going in over his dog's point, which is in relatively sparse cover.

https://www.snapfish.com/library/photos ... 7262482060
Last edited by flitecontrol on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 pm

flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 pm

FC, It appears to me it does not let a person view your photos unless they have an account. Which I do not.

On Imgur and Photobucket before that, I could copy a link of a photo on my account on those sites and then paste the linke here, and the photo was shown in my post on this board in that fashion. I would be surprised if you cannot do the same with the hosting site you are using.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Sorry about that. It sucks to be technologically challenged. I'll see what I can do. Is this any better?

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/sha ... 0/SNAPFISH

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/sha ... 0/SNAPFISH
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Yep it worked. I get the part about the shooting being a challenge :). Guess those woodcock hold pretty tight?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Some hold tight, some run a short distance, and some flush before we can get to the dog(s). With the rain we've had, they have moved out of the pine thickets to slightly higher ground in tangles of greenbriar and blackberry too thick to walk through. Today we had a point, flush, and miss, followed by two or three other birds we could hear getting up nearby, but never saw. My grandson and I got one apiece and my son went home empty handed, which hardly ever occurs. Yesterday, I got one on the first shot not far from the truck, and followed that with misses on at least four other birds to finish the day. I wouldn't have known I hit that bird if I hadn't seen some tiny bits of feather drifting down.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms