Deutsch Langhaar vs Large Munsterlander

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Deutsch Langhaar vs Large Munsterlander

Postby shaddox44 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I've been looking into getting a pointing dog, as I currently have a Chesapeake, but he's too big for upland hunting. I've been drawn to the DL after seeing one in the field, but I'm also intrigued by the LM. Are they pretty similar dogs other than color? I know the DL club has pretty strict breeding practices, but I'm unsure about the LM.

Any information would be great.
shaddox44
Pup
Pup

Re: Deutsch Langhaar vs Large Munsterlander

Postby Scott Linden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 am

Here's a start: The gene pools for each in the U.S. are pretty shallow. Somebody check me on this but I believe they were the same dog until the German club decided they didn't like the coloring of one so those folks broke off and formed the other club. Few Large Munsterlanders are tested in NAVHDA and few pass, relative to more common versatile breeds.

If you're looking for a smaller dog than your Chessie, and you want your first pointing breed, why not one of the more common breeds so you can shop around, find a good breeder, healthy dog, and smaller to boot? Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK and welcome to the pointing dog/versatile dog world. :multi:
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 pm

shaddox44 wrote:I've been looking into getting a pointing dog, as I currently have a Chesapeake, but he's too big for upland hunting. I've been drawn to the DL after seeing one in the field, but I'm also intrigued by the LM. Are they pretty similar dogs other than color? I know the DL club has pretty strict breeding practices, but I'm unsure about the LM.

Any information would be great.

I understand them to be the same breed with different paint. I don't think there is a JGHV affiliated club for the LM. The LMAA has their own breeding requirements.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby shaddox44 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.
shaddox44
Pup
Pup

Postby ANick » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 pm

That's pretty much the way of it. Circa 1879, black was written out of the DL standard and 30 or 40 years later, the Grosse Muensterlander became established as a breed. There are few differences in the FCI standard, other than color, as I recall reading it.

Though there is not, as mentioned, a JGHV affiliated club for the Grosse Muensterlander in the US, the DL-GNA is now in its 10th year as a member club with the International DL club. It is not a big population of dogs, nor an overly large club by any measure. But it is growing apace.

More info to be found at https://www.dl-gna.org/ or on https://www.facebook.com/groups/462684977107639/, or feel free to toss a PM here.

Nick

PS - Annual meeting, 'family reunion', amid the hard work of helping defend So Dak from The Birds.. Civic Duty .. in early November :)

2016-11-05_15-32-10_040_resized.jpg
4 generation maternal pic
ANick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Pointers