Pointing or Honouring?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pointing or Honouring?

Postby Densa44 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm

I've always wanted to hear what the rules are when it appears that the honouring dog is actually pointing the bird. I'm not sure in what section this should be posted. I'll try to post a picture or two if I can.

In the invitational does it matter if both dogs point the bird, or must the dog who is the farthest away, stop immediately?

I hunt with a number of trained dogs and they all honour, and I haven't taught it to them. I have seen coyotes on many occasions stop while another coyote is standing over a gopher hole.

I'd appreciate any insight that any one has.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Pointing or Honouring?

Postby orhunter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Honoring is when only one dog smells the bird.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Honoring has nothing to do with pointing the bird. The honoring dog should be sight pointing the dog that has the bird pointed. If both dogs are in the scent cone I wouldn't call that an honor. It's possible to have a shared find but highly unlikely in the test environment because the judges for the most part will try to keep the dogs separated until one or the other does point a bird. How the honoring dog responds to the situation dictates whether the judges want or need to see more and will usually wait for another backing situation.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 am

That helps, thank you very much. I have a picture of mother and daughter, where the daughter is on point and mom is a long way back and honouring the point, but they both could be in the scent cone. I guess that why we have judges.

thx
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 am

True, they could both be in the scent cone and probably are a lot of the time but the honoring dog isn't using scent to establish its position. A lot depends on the on the position of the dogs relative to each other during the search and discovery. Many times the judges are required to set up the scenario in such a way they can get the results they're after if the dogs didn't do it on their own during the field search portion of the test.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Divided finds happen. Two dogs running, maybe from opposite directions even, and they hit the scent cone at the same time. It’s pretty cool to see. Twice during a run at invitational the dogs were out of sight for mere moments. When we caught up to them they were both stopped. It was up to the judges to decide which was on point. Sometimes it was obvious. Other times not so much. Pointing dog may be more intense. Or backing dog may start panting. If you’re in heavy brush, the pointing dog may not be visible to its brace mate. Even if both dogs are in the scent cone, the dog at the back needs to respect the dog at the front. If he doesn’t respect the dog he may move forward and try to steal the point which is not a good thing.
Dori
Fun Dog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Training