Retrieving #2

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Retrieving #2

Postby Densa44 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:58 pm

I didn't want to add to Averageguy's post so I started a new one. This has to do with blinds and retrieves. I was helping a new fellow the other day and he saw me giving the dog a mark and then placing a blind well behind where the mark fell. He asked why the mark, and I said that will get the dog out here at least this distance and then he asked "why not put the blind near the mark? You older fellows can skip on to the end if you like.
I told him it can be very difficult to get a dog out of an old fall if she has been trained to think that there are more there. What we want is for the dog to keep going past the old fall and find the blind. I make it easy, now we have snow, when she gets to the old fall she can see a dummy standing on its end in the soft snow about 25 yards further.
Next time the dummy is farther 50 yards.
A note here about what for me is a very important difference between retriever trials and NAVHDA tests. In CKC/AKC trials the running dog is NEVER out of sight, thus all the birds are visible too. This is not the case in NAVHDA tests. Your dog has to hunt the birds out on her own. Its not hard, they are very good at it.

BTW I have had more than one bird in the "same" place in a duck hunting situation 2xs, the first one had a small flock flew right past me down a narrow creek, I shot once and one dropped in the water, but she went 3xs one dead on the far bank and one very lively on the other bank. The other time I fired 2xs at three teal 2 landed in the water and one dead about 50 yrds. back on the pasture. The dog didn't seem to have any trouble at all. So I don't think that training NOT to put the blind in the old fall will cause any trouble.

If you want to run UT in the summer teach the dog what a blind is asap, and when you get water give them as much work as you can. Birds that you have saved are great for this purpose.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Retrieving #2

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Densa,
Saw this old post and thought it a needed a bit of correction. when you say at ret trials, the birds are always visible. They are not. On marks the dog will see the fall, but will have to hunt the correct area if it doesnt mark the bird well, the bird won't be out in plain sight. The reason the dogs are not out of sight has NOTHING to do with the work abilities of the dog. If you can't see the dog, you can't judge it.

Also, marks and blinds at ret trials will be a far greater distances than Navhda. Making the tests more difficult.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Retrieving #2

Postby Densa44 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:30 am

Absolutely right, "out of sight , out of trail" . Wow it seems so long ago. I guess that it was.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training